Tonal difference between IIC+ Simul-Class/Non-Simul-Class...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vae

Reaction score
I've been looking to pick up a IIC+ to match with my V for a possible stereo rig in the future and I was wondering about this option. Is there a huge tonal difference between the two? What exactly will the Simul-Class let you accomplish tonally? Do the majority of the owners on this board who own a IIC+ have the Simul-Class option and won't settle for anything else? I couldn't find much doing a Google search or a Boogie Board search.

Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

I own both configurations, what elpelotero said is spot on.

simulclass allows you to run EL34s in your outer sockets in class A mode and blend them with the inner 6L6 tubes. To be perfectly honest I find the class A mode alone to be pretty worthless on my simul C+, I use it in simul mode exclusively. It is nice to be able to blend tube types though. It depends on the music you want to play.

It's not a HUGE difference but it's certainly noticeable and affects the feel of the amp more than anything.

Thanks guys -- I have an option of picking up a IIC+ with everything that I want minus the Simul. Trying to decide between biding my time or picking it up, starting to lean towards the former especially when spending the amount a IIC+ goes for nowadays.

I am going for the stereotypical "Petrucci" type crunch/lead tone -- I do really like what I can get out of my V but I've always been curious about the IIC+ (its my favorite mode on the V).

I don't know if this helps but I much rather like the V's IIC+ tone (and overall tone) than what I copped with my old Triaxis/2:90 setup.

I just don't want to be an hour into my purchase of a IIC+ non-Simul wondering what a Simul would sound like.

I will then have the best of both worlds...

...and also be in the hospital with multiple stab wounds from the wife ;p

vae said:
Thanks guys -- I have an option of picking up a IIC+ with everything that I want minus the Simul. Trying to decide between biding my time or picking it up, starting to lean towards the former especially when spending the amount a IIC+ goes for nowadays.

I am going for the stereotypical "Petrucci" type crunch/lead tone -- I do really like what I can get out of my V but I've always been curious about the IIC+ (its my favorite mode on the V).

I don't know if this helps but I much rather like the V's IIC+ tone (and overall tone) than what I copped with my old Triaxis/2:90 setup.

I just don't want to be an hour into my purchase of a IIC+ non-Simul wondering what a Simul would sound like.

I assume you are talking about a 100/60 watter (not just the 60 watter). If so, before you make up your mind, try the non-SimulClass on 100 watt and with the 8ohm speaker plugged into a 4 ohm jack.

Yeah this is for a 60W/100W version -- unfortunately I don't have access to it so I won't be able to test it out.

Curious to what you were getting at though?

I'm curious to hear his thoughts on the 8 ohm into 4 ohm as well.

On my IIC (not IIC+), it does sound different. I've tried it in the past. The manual actually says that, if you're only running one 8 ohm speaker, that you SHOULD use it in the 4 ohm jack. Presumably, the mismatch reduces a little of the power delivered to the speaker, which will keep all that boogie power from destroying the one speaker.

Anyway, I didn't spend a lot of time on the 8 ohm into 4 ohm configuration, but I wasn't too into it. My memory doesn't really remember what it sounded like...I just remember that it was less engaging than 8 ohm into 8 ohm.

FWIW, I'm not just a metal guy...so my 8 ohm into 4 ohm test was probably both clean and on lead with some (though not a huge amount) of gain.

What do others think of the 8 ohm into 4 ohm configuration?

Chip

The 4 Ohm taps lower the the treble and presence output a bit and lower the output slightly. The end result is a smoother tone.
It behaves like a compressor and top end EQ. Mike B. has been saying for years that you should use the 4 Ohm tap on the 60/100
to emulate the Simul-Class tone. It's just another tool in the C+ arsenal.

mesa1360 said:
igfraso said:
try the non-SimulClass on 100 watt and with the 8ohm speaker plugged into a 4 ohm jack.

Why would he wanna do that? Just curious.

It makes the amp smoother, although a little darker as well.

Mike told me that an amp on 100 watt and an 8ohm speaker (i.e. EVM 200 watt or Eminence 150 watt) into an 8ohm jack sounds similar to the same amp on 60 watt and the same speaker plugged into a 4 ohm jack. Actually, I can almost recall he said: "it sounds the same".

However, that amp on 100 watt with the 8ohm speaker plugged into a 4ohm jack will sound smoother and closer in sound to a SimulClass amp.

Latest posts

Back