To VOODOO or not to VOODOO?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fret-Shredder

Reaction score
I am thinking about a VOODOO AMPS Standard MOD for my Mesa SINGLE RECTIFIER 50 SOLO Series 2 Head. To tighten up the low end flub and get some more sustain and gain out of it. Has anyone done this to their RECTIFIER?I read their claims at the website and it sounds FANTASTIC. $395 is not bad if it really does what they claim. Give me some advice please. Michael

I dont know for sure if the single rec solo 50 is the same as my ROV, also a single rec 50, if they are, I cant imagine ever, anybody needing more gain or sustain out of it. Maybe a little tightening of the bottom end but thats all.
I dont know what a vodoo mod is,, if thats what will make you happy I suggest getting one. But seriously,, how much more gain do you need?
This thing is farking brutal in the gain department and even though I run a Barber tone press on my board,, I find it completely useless on anything more than clean and bluesy type gain.
Have you tried some different tubes? Maybe a decent overdrive pedal?

Gain I could understand, but from my experiences, without any boost, the Recto's have NO sustain...especially on the treble side of the guitar :?

I've played a Triple with the Voodoo mod for more gain (and I agree with Robbie...Why more gain?) and some of the flubbiness was gone but it was also tubed w/ Ruby EL34's. I cranked it through 2 4x12 Mesa cabs.

I actually liked the stock 3ch Dual played through a 4x12 straight cab right next to it.

If you haven't done much experimenting with tubes, I'd say try that first. You can never have too many tubes. If nothing else you get the Mod and have brand new tubes. You are only going to "tighten" a Rectifier so much.

I'm not disputing anyone but I've never had any problem with sustain from my ROV or DR. I play an older Squire (like first or second run) strat equipped with a SD Hotrail and a stock 67 Reissue V w/ an ebony neck.

for the cost of the mod, you could sell your amp and get something else that already sounds tighter with more sustain...

Spoke to Doug at Doug's Tubes and he is setting me up with the right tube set to achieve what I am looking for. I can't wait to hear it once the tubes arrive. :D

Fret-Shredder said:
Spoke to Doug at Doug's Tubes and he is setting me up with the right tube set to achieve what I am looking for. I can't wait to hear it once the tubes arrive. :D

That's a good start. Let us know what you get and post clips if you can!

I couldnt disagree more with ibanez4life, i have owned a single rec, triple rec and now a roadking series 2 and i have never had problem getting sustain. I honestly think most ppl that own a mesa boogie big rec, doesnt turn it up enough. On both of my guitars, granted their both equipped with emg's, but i have never had problems with gain, tightness or sustain, with a rec. The only problems ive had has been dialing in a good clean on my triple, but since i got my roadking cleans are definitely not a problem. Ill never have a need for another amp.

I have to agree somewhat with the sustain issues and recto's. I ended up adding a ZW overdrive, and it turned out to be a day and night difference when it came to sustain.

I think there is a tradeoff with the recto series that no other mesa amp I've played seems to have. Even with my volume on 1 on a Mark, Stiletto, Lonestar, etc I can get sustain for days; with the recto you really do have to crank it to get the sustain you want. That is why most people boost them with OD's because they can't play at live stage volumes all the time. I've found you can get a lot more sustain out of them by utilizing the master output knob and channel masters together but that's debateable it seems to others.

To better clarify; For those who may be thinking that we simply add more gain to the existing gain structure of a Rectifier series, let me assure you that is less an accurate. We first strip back what we call the fuzzy/buzzy gain (the layer that tends to mask/hide a lot of the nuances) and this is done bring more articulation and definition to the gain tones (IE: so all the nuances can come through). With that in mind we then add more gain back to the amp while at the same time balancing out the over all frequency response as well as retaining the articulation. As a result the amp is much smoother or more fluid/liquid like to play with improved note articulation. Given the audible differences it is also a feel thing, which can be difficult to record in a sound clip. We tend to hear it on recordings from many pro players because they appear to make their way up and down the fret board with little effort. It's difficult at best to try and take what you hear as well what you feel, and put that into a verbal description.

Overdrive/boost pedals; When engaged most tend to have a low end roll off thereby affectively helping to tighten up the excess/flabby low end on the amp (through rolling it off). For some this is all that is required to tighten up a Rectifier model and for others it may not work well at all so they seek other alternatives such as modding their amp.

I'm not trying to sway anyone's opinion and nor do I wish to take part in any kind of flame war but rather just trying to clarify what we do in the hopes that it will more sense to those who may be reading but not posting.

Have great guys! :)
Trace

Trace,

Thanks for the input, hope you stop by this board more often as it is good to have a Tech around.

Some people prefer the pure inperfections of the recto and some look to improve them so either way is not a bad way to go. Personaly I get what I want out of the recto by putting a boost in front, i am not crazy about to much bottem end anyway, to much and you are really stepping all over the bass player.

If I ever get myself a cheap recto off ebay, I would probaly send it to you just to check out your mod and see how i like it. Unfortunaly the amps I have now I wouldnt mod, for two of them you do not offer a mod (roadking and tremoverb) and the third is to rare (5th recto ever made) to mod in my opinion.

But I am always on the lookout for a cheap recto on the evil bay to get modded.

voodooamps said:
To better clarify; For those who may be thinking that we simply add more gain to the existing gain structure of a Rectifier series, let me assure you that is less an accurate. We first strip back what we call the fuzzy/buzzy gain (the layer that tends to mask/hide a lot of the nuances) and this is done bring more articulation and definition to the gain tones (IE: so all the nuances can come through). With that in mind we then add more gain back to the amp while at the same time balancing out the over all frequency response as well as retaining the articulation. As a result the amp is much smoother or more fluid/liquid like to play with improved note articulation. Given the audible differences it is also a feel thing, which can be difficult to record in a sound clip. We tend to hear it on recordings from many pro players because they appear to make their way up and down the fret board with little effort. It's difficult at best to try and take what you hear as well what you feel, and put that into a verbal description.

Overdrive/boost pedals; When engaged most tend to have a low end roll off thereby affectively helping to tighten up the excess/flabby low end on the amp (through rolling it off). For some this is all that is required to tighten up a Rectifier model and for others it may not work well at all so they seek other alternatives such as modding their amp.

I'm not trying to sway anyone's opinion and nor do I wish to take part in any kind of flame war but rather just trying to clarify what we do in the hopes that it will more sense to those who may be reading but not posting.

Have great guys! :)
Trace

Trace, Thanks for the input, hope you stop by this board more often as it is good to have a Tech around.

Thank you for the invitiation and I would be happy to help out where I can. I tend to check the boards as time allows but I usually check them in the morning (when the coffee is flowing--ha, ha).

Some people prefer the pure inperfections of the recto and some look to improve them so either way is not a bad way to go. Personaly I get what I want out of the recto by putting a boost in front,

It's all about personal preference and if one is happy with their tone then how they arrived there is of little consequence so long as they are happy with their tone.

i am not crazy about to much bottem end anyway, to much and you are really stepping all over the bass player.

I couldn't agree with you more my friend

If I ever get myself a cheap recto off ebay, I would probaly send it to you just to check out your mod and see how i like it. Unfortunaly the amps I have now I wouldnt mod, for two of them you do not offer a mod (roadking and tremoverb)

I completely understand, sincerely.

and the third is to rare (5th recto ever made) to mod in my opinion.

We've serviced some of the first Dual's and Triple's ever made (2 channel black plates) and I would recommend keeping them stock as they are rare.

But I am always on the lookout for a cheap recto on the evil bay to get modded.

We would be happy to work with you, should you ever decide to go that route.

Have a great weekend!
Trace

Fret-Shredder said:
I am thinking about a VOODOO AMPS Standard MOD for my Mesa SINGLE RECTIFIER 50 SOLO Series 2 Head. To tighten up the low end flub and get some more sustain and gain out of it. Has anyone done this to their RECTIFIER?I read their claims at the website and it sounds FANTASTIC. $395 is not bad if it really does what they claim. Give me some advice please. Michael

GO FOR IT! :twisted: Get a Recto that kicks more ***.

Latest posts

Back