To V or not to V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geiri

Reaction score
Hello there boogie bro's and ho's

Long time since I've posted here, good to be back.
I've been trying to assemble a wicked digital rig and up until to day I was ready to buy an axe fx. Then it hit me, All I ever do with modellers is trying to emulate my mk4. The mark voice is my voice and the only true vessel for my expression in music. I don't know why but ever since I first heard the lead channel of the mk4 some 20 years ago I knew that this was my sound. It was love at first hearing hmmmmmmm .............

Anywho to the point then

For the price of an axe fx here in Iceland I can buy a Mark v combo brand new and prolly m9 to go with it. But the downside is that I would have to sell off the IV. And I'm not sure that I'm ready to trade my beloved mk IV for a modeller being axe fx or not. So If anyone would be so kind as to tell me about the effects loop of the mk v and how well or badly it plays with the most common brands out there, boss, line6 etc and if a 1x12 thiele under it will give me some added bass.

I used to have an express 5:50 and as I recall it the thiele I tried with that one didn't make a whole world of difference to me.

C'mon guys sell me the V and keep me in the boogie family.

I was going to buy an Axe-FX, even had the money set aside for it, until I tried a Mark V. ;) I'm like you, I have always really liked the Mark sound ever since I spent some time with a friend's Mark IV back around 1993 or so. The loop in the Mark V works really well with almost everything I have put into it (except a BOSS DD-3). I currently have a G-System, but I still also have a TimeFactor and ModFactor. All of them work great in the effects loop.

Hi steve and thank you

I guess my next step in this process is to go go my local mesa dealer and spend a day or so with the V. To bad I'm working overseas and won't be home for a month or so. I guess I'll just keep gassing ;)

I own both Mark V and Axe Fx.It a question of what you do and what you need.

The Axe-Fx can do Mark IV extremely well.As posted here and at Harmony Central in the endless discussions of modeller quality,I can tell you that my bandmate, a hardcore mark IV lover(Does anything else exist ??) could not,playing himself, pick correctly wether he now is on his Mark IV(head ) or on the Axe FX(both play through his 2 x 12 Vertical).

But even as Mark V is 9 Amps and compared to my Silverface very time consuming to dial in-it is still a fraction of the time you need to dial in the Axe FX

Look to the parameters to dial in JCM800 for sertain voicing

Here is the thread

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...ng-a-preset-JCM800-Major-Twist-for-ANY-Preset

But on both side you have a great community to help you

Point is is it just MarkIV-->Then keep it-->Although cannot be played (easily) at bedroom + levels
If it is more then this but in Tweed to Mark's to Rectifier ballpark-->get Mark V
If you play seriously cover maybe you need the Axe

I have both(in fact + 6 other amps) as I love them,will never part with most of them and if you have very(very) good ears the picking response of any Modeller is different that (not worse!! different)of a tube Amp.

And there is no substitute to the feeling when you play with a Mark V CH2 Mark I mode Smooth or Corazon Espinao at 90 watts(and house is empty and a bit far away from neighbors)

Roland

Hi Roland and thank you.

This is what started to become pretty clear to me when I thought I was ready for an axe. I use three basic sounds clean crucnh and lead. Mostly crunch and lead. And for flavour I like a little verb, some delay and when I'm wearing my spandex suit with the hairspray in I like to throw in a little harmonizer or pitch shifter.

So in all honesty I think the axe is an overkill for my needs. I still love the mark sound and try to emulate it on every modeller I have ever owned.

When I play live I never copy the original sound of a guitarist, I always play the song with my tones.

So when I think about it, the only piece of equipment that stopped me from looking for a better tone was my mk IV. But every modeller I've had has only cured the gas for a little while.

Tell me, what are the external switching options on the V ? If I wanted to change channels via external unit, g system for example.

Reading what you write and if you dont need the bedroom level,I would stay with Mark IV -->great amp and a bit different tone(bass) to Mark V

But V may open annother world to you.

On cover I 50/50 agree/disagree-->the BEAT IT solo can only be played(f..king difficult) accurate-->others may allow interpretation

Roland

Hey roland we are in agreement regarding the beat it solo, but what I meant was even if I play things note for note I'm not trying to copy the exact sound. I play things with the sounds I feel comfortable playing with.

Tell me about the different bass response between the V and the IV.

Geiri

Roland could tell me what the main difference in the bass response is between th 4 and 5 marks. I need bedroom volume more these days so I'm seriously thinking about the V.

I feel/hear that bass is stronger more feelable at my friends Mark IV(with same V30).But community here knows much more then me.Pls bear in mind as the Mark's are handmade ,not 2 amps are really same.Mark V is more sensitive to guitar pickups,tiny differnce changes tone a lot

Bedroom level.Mark V has a very good master control-->On of the reasons I bought,Initially I thought I will play just 10 w at bedroom but now its mostly 45 w

copyright -->eudaimonia02912

Knob::What it does when turned up

Gain:: Adds gain
Master: Adds volume and sometimes gain and compression
Presence: Adds sizzle and high end, but also decreases compression
Treble: Adds gain, compression, strengthens the signal, and adds some high end
Mid: Adds some fullness and stiffness to the tone
Bass: Adds a little low end fatness, but too much and the tone will turn flabby and loose.

This is 100% true and even more so at low levels

Roland

Latest posts

Back