To reverb or not reverb? that is the ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbird

Reaction score
I think of reverb as a tool (err, effect) to be utilized in the studio. Keep it away from my amp! I've yet to be impressed by any reverb in a stomp box format, but if I were to employ one in my sound, I'd prefer it be tube driven within the amp!

Even in my live setup I have to have reverb on my cleans to give them that sparkle and prefer a bit on my leads to give me that soaring sound.

With that said, built in reverb is not a must. The Holy Grail pedal is probably the most cost effective and best sounding reverb pedal on the market. Just drop 100 bucks on one and problem solved. When your live, the audience can't tell the difference between that and a vintage fender spring tank anyway.

I attended a John Petrucci Mesa Boogie clinic in Detroit (Aug. '05) and he said he never uses the reverb. He prefers a little delay and was using the Boss Digi-Delay double pedal for the clinic. Steve Vai doesn't use it on his signature amps either.

[/img]

That's a question that I have never really thought about. I had the VH-4 and still have a 93 SLO 100 and an 87 Marshall 2555 Silver Jubilee Full Stack. I never really felt the lack of reverb was an issue, but with the RK II, MK IV, III and the IIC+'s I use reverb on all of them. I think it's inate in my tone with Mesa amps. As far as the SLO and 2555, I have no problem going straight in with no effects. The 2555 is a much better amp with a GE-7 in the loop.

Back