Tips for a more dynamic R2 MKIV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oyrgawd

Reaction score
After 10 years with my MKIV 1x12 EVM combo, I recently got a wild hair and sold it to my bandmate so I could try other things. I got a Dual Rec 4x12 half stack that isn't pleasing me. I might go for a Dr. Z Maz 38 because it sounds so straight and unfiltered -- like the IV without the loop or EQ, but even more immediate and responsive. I'd mostly (80% of the time) play the IV R2 at mid-gain and I figure I can get clean on the Maz by backing off the guitar volume, grit naturally, then lead sounds with a pedal.

I mostly used my IV's R2 channel at mid-gain, just enough so digging in would crunch it up, but the harsh degree of its compression always kind of bugged me. I assume it was from the power section since I had R2 dialed just over clean. I'd usually have the Presence Pull Shift pulled, Presence at 3-4, R2 Master at 4 or so, main Master at 4-5. Other channel Masters just up to where they were audible. Oh, and I use a hot Lace Dually bridge pickup mostly.

Any ideas for getting a more open sound? I've now read that the IV is an overall "compressed" amp (of course all tube amps kind of are). Different, higher-output power tubes? Lower main Master and higher Channel Masters? Hi-gain, fast-response preamp tubes?

I'd just re-buy a MK IV if I felt like I could goose it closer to my ideal.

Thanks,
Orion

I'm curious to know how you set the power amp... Class-A/Simul-class, Triode/Pentode, Tweed/Full Power? Running Simul-class, pentodes and full power should give you the most headroom and in theory the least amount of power section compression, unless you start running your master output super high, which is fun too. But for the sound you're going for, I don't see it being a problem...

How did you set the EQ on R2?

did you ever try the amp with el84s? Im pretty sure yo ucan run it with those and it sounds amazing, read the manual first.

guitarzan1143 said:
did you ever try the amp with el84s? Im pretty sure yo ucan run it with those and it sounds amazing, read the manual first.
No EL84's (not without yellow jackets). IIRC, you can run four 6V6s in Tweed, or 5881's in all four sockets or in outer sockets combined with 6L6s in the inner sockets. Check the manual.

I've had favorable results with STR 420s in my Mark IV. I also found vintage preamp tubes (Tung Sols) added a nice "vintage" vibe, and made Rhy 2 more useable for me.

I'd usually run the power section in Simulclass, all Mesa 6L6s, full-power, pentode, no reverb, no loop, master at about 4.5-5 through the EVM 12L, channel master at about 4 with the presence knob pulled (just up to where it evened-out with R1 and Lead). I guess I was probably getting power tube compression just because of the master volume level.

I liked the more 'direct' sound of skipping the graphic EQ, but I missed the low end I'd boost with it. Maybe I should try mixing in a closed-back cab for the beef.

Any recommendations for higher-headroom power tubes?

Or maybe if I added a second speaker I could get the same overall loudness without pushing the power tubes as hard?

Thanks for the help.

don't use the pull shift on the presence...R2 has way more depth and character with it pushed in IMO..get yourself a closed 2x12 or 4x12, use the GEQ, and tweak tweak tweak...it's become my favorite channel..just to versatile (especially with a clean boost / OD in the mix)

I agree (although lead will always be my favorite). I dont know why so many people complain about channel 2 on the Mark IV. It is unique and extremely versitile.

Doh, i meant 6v6s. My amp tech played his mark IV for me and it had those in it. It was a totally different amp, it sounded great! it was through a 4x10 cabinet though.

ryjan said:
I agree (although lead will always be my favorite). I dont know why so many people complain about channel 2 on the Mark IV. It is unique and extremely versitile.

I think it's because most folks who use a Mark IV are high-gain players and R2 is just not gainy enough. And so, it doesn't hide less than perfect technique. I think it's a real good low-gain channel. Excellent mid-gain with a boost.

with the right settings, and the volume even remotely high, R2 definitely gets far beyond low gain.

If R2 is where you live on the Mark IV, I recommend you test drive an Electra Dyne.

The Electra Dyne doesn't do what the Mark IV does on the lead channel, but for that Mid Gain more organic stuff it is hard to beat.

In the meantime, if you figure out R2 let me know. It is the only flaw in an otherwise flawless amp!

try these settings

gain 8 push (pulling just makes more compressed )
treb 8
bass 3
mids 7
presence PUSH 4 pulling makes it more compressed

Big one with this channel is the Cab. With a quad box straight front it sounds the Best.

Try.

You know iv'e had my mkIVa for almost 10 years. Only swapped the 6l6's once (OUCH I know I know) and just recently put in all new EH12ax7s. I never liked r2 either until the 12ax7 swap. Now....oh my! I love R2. I use it for TONS of stuff. I never put in the time necessary to dial it in until recently and man I wish I had done it years ago. I play mostly metal in my band and use it in rhythm beds and slower dirty lines. When I am just playing away by myself I can't help but reach down and tap that r2 switch...sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet mother it brings a whole different player out of me. I'll post my settings in the morning. :D

Shep said:
try these settings

gain 8 push (pulling just makes more compressed )
treb 8
bass 3
mids 7
presence PUSH 4 pulling makes it more compressed

Big one with this channel is the Cab. With a quad box straight front it sounds the Best.

Try.

Just tried it, and recorded a clip for anyone who is interested. The only difference is, my MKIV power tubes are on their last legs and sounding quite shitty. So, I ran it through my RK with some big-bottle EH EL34s in the power section, just for shits! Also, ran the bass knob at 2.5 instead of 3. Recorded with a 3-to-1 SM57 stereo pair, Les Paul tuned to D standard.

Check it out: http://members.shaw.ca/greg.schofield/r2_sample.mp3 -- 4.78MB

I've got to try not pulling the gain! I've found you can open it up with different tubes! The 420's are better than the 440's IMHO. I also found that the triode mode is a little more open than pentode. The manual says triode in class A and tweed is the closest to the MK IIC+ sound and I have to agree. It's got that shimmering open high end. The brittle high's can be controlled by using some Sovtek 5881 WXT's.

mule#1 said:
I've got to try not pulling the gain! I've found you can open it up with different tubes! The 420's are better than the 440's IMHO. I also found that the triode mode is a little more open than pentode. The manual says triode in class A and tweed is the closest to the MK IIC+ sound and I have to agree. It's got that shimmering open high end. The brittle high's can be controlled by using some Sovtek 5881 WXT's.
+1. STR 420s in the inner pair, 5881s in the outer pair, and vintage Tung Sol in V1 and V3 did it for me.

Back