Time for me to buy a IIC+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pearce117 said:
I just missed a combo on craigslist for $1,780 :evil:

The amp that you are looking for is the original "HG" Mark IIC+ (60/100 GEQ model with the 105 PT) without reverb, since you say that you don't use it. Why pay for an option that you will not use? 8) Good luck on your quest. :D

I agree 110%, it's a real shame that this amp will always be stuck with that stigma, when it can do so much more.
A Ferrari is a beautiful piece of art, smeels of rich leather, and attracts super models far and wide. At the end of the day though it's simply a balls to the walls fast fukin car. 8)

ryjan said:
I agree 110%, it's a real shame that this amp will always be stuck with that stigma, when it can do so much more.
A Ferrari is a beautiful piece of art, smeels of rich leather, and attracts super models far and wide. At the end of the day though it's simply a balls to the walls fast fukin car. 8)

Ha ha hell yes brother!

Pearce117 said:
ryjan said:

Ha ha hell yes brother!

I'll take my Ferrari in a vintage model (V-12 with six 2-barrel carbs), but that's another story.

You fanboys seem to be missing my point. Why would you only drive the said Ferrari in a straight line, wide open? Because it's fun, yes I know. You could also try a road course and get the FULL experience.

If you are only going to use your amp as a Metallica model, I would highly suggest a Mark III Simul-class Coliseum. I have owned both the red and blue stripe versions. They do the "Metal" sound as good as any C+ that I own or have played, for a lot less money.

I have both an upgraded simulclass C with the 100pt., and an original C+ simuclass with the 105pt. They both sound amazing. I play in a cover band that plays a wide variety of music.
Neither have EQ. I don't play metal, but perhaps the 60/100 watt version would be more appropriate for metal. The one thing my simuclass models lack is clean headroom. I had a mark11B 60 watter and a mark111 coli red stripe, both loud as hell, just didn't ooze tone like my C+'s.

For those of you in the know, how frequently do 60/100 HRGs with the 105pt come up for sale on the net?

I notice that when a person puts out there that they like another players tone, and would like to have that sound on tap. People tend to give them a hard time... Especially if it's Metallica. I wonder if John Petrucci fans get the flack we do?

I would use it for metal. So what? dose that make me less deserving of the amp? It's odd to me the way some people act. I know there's not a lot of them around and with time there will be less of them. But it seems to me like some people are like kids in a sand box trying to take all the good toys and put them in there corner and telling all the other kids to play with the not as good stuff so they can have the epic stuff to them self.

Pearce117 said:
I notice that when a person puts out there that they like another players tone, and would like to have that sound on tap. People tend to give them a hard time... Especially if it's Metallica. I wonder if John Petrucci fans get the flack we do?

I would use it for metal. So what? dose that make me less deserving of the amp? It's odd to me the way some people act. I know there's not a lot of them around and with time there will be less of them. But it seems to me like some people are like kids in a sand box trying to take all the good toys and put them in there corner and telling all the other kids to play with the not as good stuff so they can have the epic stuff to them self.
If you have the money then buy one. Who care what the corksniffers say. Hetfield's tone is the best thing to happen to metal.

Pearce117 said:

From the sandbox: Just because you play "METAL" does not make you less deserving of an epic amp. I, along with a few other C+ owners have made the 60/100 suggestion. Your $2000 budget also imposes some limitations. Just because I am not a Metallica fan does not mean that I can't nail their guitar sound. I own 3 of the simulclass, reverb, GEQ C+ amps, and stand firm on my opinion, regarding a fast attack, Metallica sound. FWIW, I am not a Petrucci fanboy, either. :shock:

not to change the subject, but I played an early mark IV today, SN under 500 and it was pretty awesome. Was actually easy to dial in nice metal tones, that i'm sure you would love.

scott

Yeah? I was looking at some IV's on Youtube and they seem sweet. I have a list of amps I've been stalking lol I keep track of the price I see them go at. I'm so cheap. :lol:

Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+............$1,700
Leap of faith!

Mesa Boogie Mark III...............$650
Had a 60/100 Simul long head with the R mod & Presence knob on the front, Something about it was fizzy and harsh to me so I sold it.

Mesa Boogie Mark IV...............$1,000
Can you get that fast attack with the mark IV? All the stuff I hear they have some sag to them.

Mesa Boogie Mark V................$1,800
Seems a little dark & muddy to me

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier........$1,200
I played a Single Rec and it was way more loos and muddy than I like. Never played a Dual..

Peavey 6505.........................$600
Played one at GC, I loved it!

krank krankenstein..................$650
Leap of faith! I never see anyone playing this **** thing in E440 or in D# it's always C# D or B Sounds killer tho.

Bugera 6262 Infinium...............$300
If I like the 6505 I can't see not liking this.

BLACKSTAR SERIES ONE 100.....$1,000
Leap of faith! Sounds like the 200 with less power.

BLACKSTAR SERIES ONE 200.....$1,600
Leap of faith! Sounds good in all the clips I see buy its self but I can't hear Gus G. in the live mix with Ozzy. Zakk Wylde's JCM 800 walks all over his ***!

Engl Powerball........................$1,300
Seems loos and has some sag not much but just a bit more than I think is good for thrash.

VHT Pitbull.............................$1,000
Looks like a beast. Sounds killer in all the clips.

Engl E-645 Powerball 2 -----
Have not seen one used. Sounds way more tight! Far less sag. More for thrashing I think. :wink:

VHT Sig:X -----
Have yet to hear a good clip or see one used.. :(

Bugera Magician Infinium -----
Cheap Mark IV Clone :D

Bugera TriRec INFINIUM -----
Cheap Clone!

I had a Mark IV for a couple years. It has a stupid fast attack. Almost too stiff. Perfect amp for leads but I found it a little thin for rhythm playing.

ryjan said:
I had a Mark IV for a couple years. It has a stupid fast attack. Almost too stiff. Perfect amp for leads but I found it a little thin for rhythm playing.

What do you mean by thin? I have one local that I can get but he put in the add it might need a fillter cap job and some other things I really don't know what that means.

Pearce117 said:
ryjan said:

What do you mean by thin? I have one local that I can get but he put in the add it might need a fillter cap job and some other things I really don't know what that means.
It was just missing a little oomph for metal rhythm playing. I guess I was looking for the "wall of sound" thing. The triaxis on Ld2 green without the deep engaged should sound pretty close.
Filter caps and a general checkup shouldn't be a big deal on a used Mesa. Call your local authorized repair shop and get a quote before you check out that Mark IV.

ryjan said:
Pearce117 said:
ryjan said:

It was just missing a little oomph for metal rhythm playing. I guess I was looking for the "wall of sound" thing. The triaxis on Ld2 green without the deep engaged should sound pretty close.
Filter caps and a general checkup shouldn't be a big deal on a used Mesa. Call your local authorized repair shop and get a quote before you check out that Mark IV.

I run Deep and modern in my 290 to get my sound. I might need to think outside Mesa... If I cant get a IIC+ that's in my range and a IV is on the thin side whats next? A Recto?

I recorded my bands first album with an ENGL, couldnt stand it. It was way dark. Only the Fireball 60 interests me honestly because it's so extreme, all the others are too wonky, but the ENGL's dont sing out for leads like Peavey or Mesa. The 5150/6505 is really the only other route personally. The Kranks are pretty viscious and tight but only have two sounds cleanclean and DESTRUCTION. So in my eyes Mesa and Peavey are really the only 2 amps to own...unless your an Orange kinda dude, and they are pretty fuzzy.

If your read my earlier post with all the amps and stuff I had a mark III and why I got rid of it. I don't play leads I'm a rhythm guy. So [Tight] [Heavy] [Brutal] [Focused] and piano/bell like cleans are all I'm after. I really want a smaller amp also. I dig the short heads. They take up way less space. '' I drive a Camaro'' :lol:

My bad. I didn't see the III on your list. Well, looks like we share similar needs as far as needing clean and crunch. I'm on a similar quest to find the perfect high gain rhythm machine. I've been considering 3 amps that on paper fit me perfectly. Triple Recto, Splawn Nitro, and an Engl Fireball 100. The Triple with the extra headroom is tighter and meaner than the Dual. The Fireball is supposed to be tighter than the recto but still deliver a wall o' sound. I have yet to hear a Nitro in person but it's rumered to be a Recto without the buzz.
I'd like to try an Uberschall also but too much $ for me. Same with a VH4.
For what it's worth I find myself missing my Triaxis/2:90 rig sometimes.

I think we are looking for the same thing lol. Where are you from? I'm in MI I've been thinking of trying to have a amp day where every one can come to gather and bring out there amp's of all kinds and show them off like car show.. I think that would help guys like us find are amp.

Back