Tighter low end for a rectifier (KT66-KT88-6V6?)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys here is the list of things you can do to tighten up your rectifier.

(1) hot pickups
(2) clean boost pedal
(3) the most common of them all, turn down your gain, if you have it past one o'clock you will definitely lose your tightness.

the best way to achieve tightness on your rec is to run your gain noon-1 o clock, and then boost it. Also another common problem is that ppl turn their gain way up and keep their master turned down, you have to turn that master knob up, and gain down to push the power tubes. The rec is very loud and most ppl that complain about the lack of tightness is either turning their gain up too much, or their not turning their master up enough because its too loud.
If you palm mute a string a pluck it and it sounds like sand paper, back your gain down.

i use an 03 triple through a traynor YCS412 (celestian vintage 30's) and i find its pretty tight. i might still try different tubes (like those 7581's mentioned above) to see what it will do
and i use duncan designed hb-102's (stock for my schecters)

Blackthorne said:
That's what I feel too.

At low volumes, it sounds great but when you crank it the real recto nature comes alive and it becomes terrible for my taste.

The powerball really deceived me too when I used it with my band.

I will turn it back and get a Diezel Herbert instead.

It looks the closest to what I'm looking for:

A modern high gain amp that has the massive power of a Mesa but without the flabby low end.

I will keep you informed!

This search for a tighter sound but similar to recto growl, led me to a Soldano, maybe try one or two of those out and see how you like it. Nice thick bottom but more mids and high end, not muddy at all. I bought a Hot Rod 50+ and so far so good.

i'd try the KT77 or E34L JJ tubes not mesa tubes. Mesa tubes IMO are garbage. Use diodes, and not the tube recs. Tightness partly comes from the power supply i believe, so you could have that mod'ed. Different cabs/speaker combinations also make a big difference.

A while back I was not happy with the sound I was getting out of my RK. Recently I stopped playing my ESP loaded with EMGs and picked up my Kramer with some kind of Duncans in it. My Road King has never sounded tighter or more pissed off. I'm running a Boss super overdrive in from as a clean boost, and I still have the stock Mesa tubes in it.

nathan28 said:
Ok guys here is the list of things you can do to tighten up your rectifier.

(1) hot pickups
(2) clean boost pedal
(3) the most common of them all, turn down your gain, if you have it past one o'clock you will definitely lose your tightness.

the best way to achieve tightness on your rec is to run your gain noon-1 o clock, and then boost it. Also another common problem is that ppl turn their gain way up and keep their master turned down, you have to turn that master knob up, and gain down to push the power tubes. The rec is very loud and most ppl that complain about the lack of tightness is either turning their gain up too much, or their not turning their master up enough because its too loud.

+1

nathan28 said:
If you palm mute a string a pluck it and it sounds like sand paper, back your gain down.

C'mon, I like that sound sometimes...

Alot of ppl tune to c or b and expect to have a tight sound as well, the lower you tune the flabbier the sound you are going to get out of a recto.

if you tune down you should also use thicker strings. I play with 11's and consider using strings smaller than 10's a sissy or beginner thing IMO.

Latest posts

Back