Tighter low end for a rectifier (KT66-KT88-6V6?)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackthorne

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'm getting more and more bored of the boomy loose end of my Roadster.

I love the "Mesa" tone but I'm leaning more toward the way that ENGL amps react on the low end.

I want a very tight low end like them (like the Powerball).

Even my Mark IV is not tight enough for my tastes :) (it doesn't sound enough modern to my taste anyway even if it's an amazing amp)

I really want a surgical type of amp! (that typical ENGL/VHT/Krank tone but with the Mesa grind!)
I like the modern tones, somewhat compressed but not too much either with a lot of gain on tap (even if I won't use a lot all the time). It has to be very precise!

That Killswitch Engage/Unearth tone gets close to what I would like except they use too much gain to my taste (but that's mostly due to the way they push their amp)

What would you suggest me to do besides using an OD pedal? (I want an amp that sounds like I want naturally; I already have enough switchs to dance with)

I'm planning to try tighter tubes to see how it will react like KT66, KT88 or 6V6.

Did anyone try them? What did you think of them?

To be honest, I tried a Powerball recently and ended ordering one because I like much more the way it reacts to my fast playing but before I sell my Rectifier and/or my Mark, I want to give them one more chance !

I fear getting quickly tired of the ENGL tone.

I just discovered the best way to tighten up your amp: install EMG active pups. I just did that and can't believe how tight my single rec is now. I know those pups aren't for everyone, but I always partially blamed my own playing for the loose sound, and partially the amp, not anymore. All mud is now gone.

I tried them already and even with them, there is still that loose resonant low notes that I totally can't stand.

I admit it was tighter but they are too cold to my taste.

I prefer much more my duncan livewire which rocks! Much more organic and still tight has hell.

I'm more looking for answers in the technical amp part because I kind of tried everything aside (pickups, guitars, post EQ, boosts,...).

Already did and not convinced at all.

Moreover it screws my clean channel and I have to switch very often.

I prefer using one with a tad touch of drive to boost my lead tones.

just buy a diffn`t amp. that kind of ghosting bass note is part of the reto sound, if its not for you i`d say you bought the wrong amp.

My 2 ch DR is almost Mark tight with 7581's. I haven't tried them in the Mark IV yet because the 420's are good enough for me in the Mark IV. I could only imagine the Mark IV getting better with the 7581.

Could try a Triple Rec with some EQing...

Or maybe a Recto Rec. Pre and a power amp of some kind (VHT or ENGL?)

As others have said, the amp may just not fit your style. Before you trade it in, though, you may want to try a different cab. Not knowing what you have now, I would suggest looking into a smaller, sealed-back cab (not ported), which can do a lot to tighten up the low end.

Another thing to try is to get a couple of EQ pedals (or a 2-channel rackmount unit), run one out in front, and the other in the loop. Set the first one to scoop the bass out, and the one in the loop to add it back in.

Don't waste your money on tubes, pedals, etc....if you want REALLY tight response, the recto is simply not for you...I've ran in circles to tighten my recto, spent a bunch of money, and in the end, I'm switching amps.

I have done the same thing as ibanez has. spent a bunch of money on replacing speakers, tried KT88 tubes, bunch of pedals, etc. and still no luck. my Rec is even an older 2 Ch. Dual and it still is not tight enough. currently trying out my friend's MK IV to see if that is any better. don't get me wrong, with the KT88's, the Rec will tear your face off, but is still too flabby on the low end for my taste.

That's what I feel too.

At low volumes, it sounds great but when you crank it the real recto nature comes alive and it becomes terrible for my taste.

The powerball really deceived me too when I used it with my band.

I will turn it back and get a Diezel Herbert instead.

It looks the closest to what I'm looking for:

A modern high gain amp that has the massive power of a Mesa but without the flabby low end.

I will keep you informed!

phyrexia said:
Could try a Triple Rec with some EQing...

Or maybe a Recto Rec. Pre and a power amp of some kind (VHT or ENGL?)

That's an option I thought about but I will lack the great clean of my Roadster and I need a great clean.

Plus it takes much more testing that a simple head switching.

Note that it should sound great on paper, a recto pre and a VHT poweramp...

Seems like the best of both worlds but could be the worst of both worlds too...

I don't see anything wrong with that statement. It is known that the early 2 ch DR sounds much like the SLO anyway. Of course, it still retains a slight Boogie flavor. In fact, those that know about the similarities actually like the SLO too.

I think that I will order the Herbert really.

The Einstein sounds a little too vintage to me but it's a really great amp!

For the Metal I play, it's just a bit too short imo.

Soldano I don't really like. Just like Peavey, H&K and ENGL, it has that little something in the tone that I just can't stand.

I prefer dryer tones personnaly (like Mesa's).

I doubt you'll be happy with 6V6s, not familiar with the others you mentioned. But you might try EL34s?

If you really like the tone of your recto but you'd like it to be tighter. maybe look into voodoo modding it. they'll make it as tight AS possible. if not i'd say VHT UL...

Latest posts

Back