Thoughts on buying these pickups?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nylisk

Reaction score
I was thinking about buying a SET of EMG 60s to put in my les paul that currently has an 81 & 85 (or whatever the zakk wylde set is)

I was thinking of putting the 60s in both spots out of curiosity to see how they would sound in each position. Because the emgs are modular, I can of course swap which ever ones around and even let my friend borrow them to get a different sound (he has two 81s currently) and eventually I plan on having another guitar to put whatever's spare into.

thoughts?

not trying to hiajack the thread jw if anyone knows, what does a emg 85 sound like in the neck. i noticed adam from killswitch uses a set of 85 emgs in his guitar.

thanks

looking forward to the reply on the emg 60's

85 in the neck is a bassy slightly more bell-like tone than an 81 in the neck. My friend has an "Mbox" or something so maybe I can record the guitar sound under a constant set of amp sounds and then compare to the 60s

two EMG 60s are on order. I wonder how long it will take to get them

I had an EMG set in my Les Paul for a little while in the late 80s. I had a 60 in the neck, and an 85 in the bridge.

Ultimately, I decided I liked a passive set better. But, the 60 neck was really good. Good and smooth, woman tone!

you might want to try an EMG 58 in the bridge. I thought it sounded fuller with more gain than a 60 bridge, it reminded me of a PAF.

i run a 60 in the bridge of my RG520 and an 89 in my neck and the 60 sounds killer but very bright. It's actually very good for country believe it or not. Interesting dynamics with the high gains on my TOV tho. I'm probably going back to my 81 in the bridge and using the 60 in the neck on another guitar...

Nylisk said:
two EMG 60s are on order. I wonder how long it will take to get them

still don't have them yet :-\

this is what I get for shopping with a "small" business.

just got a call that they're in....just over 2 weeks later

ill keep you informed

I got my two 60s but I don't want to install them yet without recording the 81+85 set.

I want to record them under the same conditions with no extra bullshit like they do on pickup demos. They're like "this is what your guitar sounds like with a crappy 1980s-era drum loop"

I want to do a simple comparison of

chords versus chords
riff versus riff
clean versus clean
dirty versus dirty

But I need my friend to get involved because he has one of those "mbox" things and a mic. Also he's a better guitarists so maybe I should be recording him.

Latest posts

Back