Thought I had a mark III, Actually have a POS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mOp1988 said:
Other observations...
-The amp gets out of control past or around 2 on the master or 3-4 on the lead master, in class A or simul class in the lead channel. Loses a lot of defination and harmonics.
-Inconsistant tone. One minute it will sound very nice, and the next woofy, half gain, dark, or too bright etc.
-Fizzy, unusable gain past 8 on either the input gain(volume) or the lead drive.

1) One of the tubes could be on it's way out due to being bounced around during shipping.

2) One trick with a Mark is to never touch your tone controls for the first 15 minutes you're playing it. It tends to sound kind of dead and lifeless when you first power it up and then starts to sound better once it heats up.

That said, if your tone is changing from bright to woofy minute by minute it sounds like a tube issue.

3) Sounds like a tube issue. I used to run my Mark III with the volume at 9 and the lead drive at 7.5.

mOp1988 said:
I'm sorry I don't mean to suggest or confuse simul class/class A with my suppose power issues. I just like the sound of class A better, and that could be partly attributed to me liking EL34 better too. Thats what I mean.

Now for the power issues, I don't know what else to blame the inconsistent tone on. I won't know for sure till I get the unit this friday.
Heh, it's probably my fault for reading the wrong intent in your post. Whisky glasses. :mrgreen:

But as I discuss below, I don't believe your experience is power related at all...

screamingdaisy said:
mOp1988 said:
Other observations...
-The amp gets out of control past or around 2 on the master or 3-4 on the lead master, in class A or simul class in the lead channel. Loses a lot of defination and harmonics.
-Inconsistant tone. One minute it will sound very nice, and the next woofy, half gain, dark, or too bright etc.
-Fizzy, unusable gain past 8 on either the input gain(volume) or the lead drive.

1) One of the tubes could be on it's way out due to being bounced around during shipping.

2) One trick with a Mark is to never touch your tone controls for the first 15 minutes you're playing it. It tends to sound kind of dead and lifeless when you first power it up and then starts to sound better once it heats up.

That said, if your tone is changing from bright to woofy minute by minute it sounds like a tube issue.

3) Sounds like a tube issue. I used to run my Mark III with the volume at 9 and the lead drive at 7.5.

+100

When you push the power stage as hard as I do, the EL-34s are going to die early. Inconsistencies are almost always tube related, so when in doubt, look to the power tubes. Mine is doing this exact thing right now. :x

The amp :)
100_0181.jpg

Mark V Logo
100_0180.jpg

Old face plate, notice how its destroyed by previous user
100_0175.jpg

R2 volume mod got moved to the back, reverb tank installed. Notice the odd ball wing C EL34.
100_0173.jpg

Lots of wires, pots and caps removed
100_0168.jpg

Entire user modded mark III circuit board removed
100_0167.jpg

My speakers just for giggles
100_0165.jpg

My family
100_0178.jpg

kdorsey said:
mOp1988 said:
I'm sorry I don't mean to suggest or confuse simul class/class A with my suppose power issues. I just like the sound of class A better, and that could be partly attributed to me liking EL34 better too. Thats what I mean.

Now for the power issues, I don't know what else to blame the inconsistent tone on. I won't know for sure till I get the unit this friday.
Heh, it's probably my fault for reading the wrong intent in your post. Whisky glasses. :mrgreen:

But as I discuss below, I don't believe your experience is power related at all...

screamingdaisy said:
mOp1988 said:
Other observations...

+100

When you push the power stage as hard as I do, the EL-34s are going to die early. Inconsistencies are almost always tube related, so when in doubt, look to the power tubes. Mine is doing this exact thing right now. :x

oh well, I needed an excuse to get all wing C's anyway. I will agree.

Latest posts

Back