Those who've ordered a Mesa through a store..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barry said:
Platypus said:
Welp, I'm fvcked.. according to the Mesa rep, my amp is built and shipping.. will be here next week :(

I've never been so upset to receive something so nice. I left a message for Mesa directly, maybe they'll help me before it ships but I doubt it.

Look for a 2x12 ace to be on sale shortly :(

I take you you made a phone call to them ? Dont automatically assume you wont like the 2X12 Ace . Dont believe everything you read. Trust your own ears .

Yes, talked to both Mesa and the dealer, it's already in the mail. The shop offered to give me the 1x12 in black even for the one I ordered..but I dont want to settle :(

This is all my fault, I should have just gone with my gut.

Aren't the cab dimensions of the 1x12 the same as the 2x12? If so, couldn't you just order the baffle from Mesa (with the 1x12 cutout) and replace it? Then you have your 1x12 and a spare speaker (could sell it to recoup some of your $$s).

I take all of the above back if the baffle is not removable :cry:

Platypus said:
Barry said:
Platypus said:
Welp, I'm fvcked.. according to the Mesa rep, my amp is built and shipping.. will be here next week :(

I've never been so upset to receive something so nice. I left a message for Mesa directly, maybe they'll help me before it ships but I doubt it.

Look for a 2x12 ace to be on sale shortly :(

I take you you made a phone call to them ? Dont automatically assume you wont like the 2X12 Ace . Dont believe everything you read. Trust your own ears .

Yes, talked to both Mesa and the dealer, it's already in the mail. The shop offered to give me the 1x12 in black even for the one I ordered..but I dont want to settle :(

This is all my fault, I should have just gone with my gut.

I take it you went with the green tolex . Its all personal preference but i could never go back to playing through a 1X12 . Once I went to a 2X12 i was much happier then in a natural progression the 4X12 came along . Its such an important part of my rig . I know its not for everyone as i'm in a band that has a truck that i leave my gear on . Hate to hear you are unhappy .

Everyone who reviewed the stiletto ace 1x12 loved it, that's the one I fell in love with.. I got the 2x12 because I wanted more volume and spread stereo recording capabilities.. now the 2x12 reviews are coming in and everyone is saying they sound totally different than the 1x12's, they have no bass response, etc.

How can one speaker make that much difference? I'm just sick to my stomach over this, Mesa wouldn't even entertain the thought of me sending it back to have them convert it to 1x12 specs.

I love 1x12 combos, from a 'carry weight' perspective. I can always add an extension cab if I feel like it, I've just rarely felt like it. And so I balked at a practically new F-100 head and 2x12 horixontal Recto cab (V30s). The head is heavy as hell by itself and the Recto cab is the heaviest 2x12 made.

But when I opened that thing up at my first gig with the full rig ... Jesus ... it was the sweetest, fullest-sounding clean and crunch tone I have ever heard (a Mark IV head/cab topped it for leads, but just barely). Now it's hard to go back to a 1x12, even though we mic everything. A big difference in the sound, and now I know what I've been missing.

Try the 2x12 at gig volumes ... you may be glad Mesa had already shipped it. 8)

Well look at it this way plat, don't sulk over something you havn't really tried out yet. Once it gets there play it a while, dial it, tune it and then decide. Your gut may change after owning it a little while.

If not... I'm sure you could easily sell it for near face value and get something else.

Happy thanks giving plat and all................. :D

Snakum said:
I love 1x12 combos, from a 'carry weight' perspective. I can always add an extension cab if I feel like it, I've just rarely felt like it. And so I balked at a practically new F-100 head and 2x12 horixontal Recto cab (V30s). The head is heavy as hell by itself and the Recto cab is the heaviest 2x12 made.

But when I opened that thing up at my first gig with the full rig ... Jesus ... it was the sweetest, fullest-sounding clean and crunch tone I have ever heard (a Mark IV head/cab topped it for leads, but just barely). Now it's hard to go back to a 1x12, even though we mic everything. A big difference in the sound, and now I know what I've been missing.

Try the 2x12 at gig volumes ... you may be glad Mesa had already shipped it. 8)

Exactly. I find when i get in a bigger venue or outdoors thats when the extra speakers come into play . 1X12 is good for studio, home or a small club but i cant see it for bigger rooms . Each to his own but I'll take a head and an external cab over a combo anyday . I would like to hear an Ace head on one of the new mesa 2X12 Stiletto/Roadster closed back cabs. Much smaller than the recto 2X12 . I suspect much tighter as well . Platypus, I still say dont read so much into the reviews . Trust your own ears .

Yeah I guess I'll play it side by side with the 1x12 at the store and see what happens, I know I'll be disappointed regardless, that's how my luck always goes.

this would mostly be for jamming with friends and playing very small or house type situations anyway so that's not exactly helping me want the 2x12 here.

Platypus said:
Yeah I guess I'll play it side by side with the 1x12 at the store and see what happens, I know I'll be disappointed regardless, that's how my luck always goes.

this would mostly be for jamming with friends and playing very small or house type situations anyway so that's not exactly helping me want the 2x12 here.

If you are that set on a 1X12 how about trying disconnecting one of the 12s ?

Barry said:
Platypus said:

If you are that set on a 1X12 how about trying disconnecting one of the 12s ?

I would imagine the position would be important to the sound, though I'm not sure how they're mounted. With the 1x12 I image the speaker would be in the middle of the cab and if there are two they're probably on the far sides of the cab?

Not sure.. I hear what you're saying though, I might call Mesa tomorrow and explain the situation to someone and see if they can offer suggestions on it :idea:

Try to take it easy Platypus. I've done the same type of thing more times than I can remember. My money says that once you pull that amp out of the carton and get the tubes cookin' you'll forget that you wanted the 1x12. If it doesn't work out that way order a matching 1x12 cab, get an a/b box and you got tone selection out the wazoo.

Yah sorry for bummin here guys, it's been a pretty bad day already, all of it my fault in some way :p Got pulled over on the way home for going straight through a 4 way stop which had a 'left only' on the ground which I missed.

oh well, soon enough I'll have this amp, I can't forget that fact especially after I thought I still had months to wait. I think I may have jumped the gun a bit on wanting to switch it at the last minute anyway, reviews sometimes get to you.. I just can't imagine they sound *THAT* different, with something like a little adjustment of EQ can fix.. I trust that Mesa know what they're doing :)

Pics, review of both amps in detail, and of course, crunchy british clips soon.

Is it really that bad?

I supposed you read this: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=7922
Stokes best summed it up.

Did you check out on-line who build Boogie enclosures. Seems like the Stilletto Ace, LoneStar Classic, Special uses the same chassis[?] Yes/No?

Someone had a link of someone who build M/B enclosures.

Platypus said:
Yah sorry for bummin here guys, it's been a pretty bad day already, all of it my fault in some way :p Got pulled over on the way home for going straight through a 4 way stop which had a 'left only' on the ground which I missed.

oh well, soon enough I'll have this amp, I can't forget that fact especially after I thought I still had months to wait. I think I may have jumped the gun a bit on wanting to switch it at the last minute anyway, reviews sometimes get to you.. I just can't imagine they sound *THAT* different, with something like a little adjustment of EQ can fix.. I trust that Mesa know what they're doing :)

Pics, review of both amps in detail, and of course, crunchy british clips soon.

One of those days. OK you are excused ! I really believe you are going to be happy with the amp . There is alot of R&D that goes into them . Screw those reviews . Heres what i suggest . When the amp gets to the shop . Back the 1X12 version up to yours and try both the single 12 and the 2X12 with your amp only by unplugging the speakers and plugging in the speaker from the 1X12 Ace . AB them that way. Try to stand back from them to get a bit of projection .

Back