this may be a dumb question but...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeemo

Reaction score
This goes for any amp really... but on for example the lonestar special.... is there a modification where you could footswitch out both the output, and the solo controls to say a 2 pedal volume pedal. ?? (1 for 'output' vol. the other for the 'solo' control) In other words if you were playing and decided you needed a little boost or cut you could do it without having to take your hands off the guitar, hit the knob etc. You know, cause while you're playing you'd likely be rushed to get the right setting, and likely have to re-adjust - it would be nice to be able to do this with a footpedal / controller.
I actually have been thinking about this for a while now, and thought that someone would have come up with this already, but I haven't seen anything yet, on any amp.
Is this possible ?? or would you lose too much signal through a cord ??

Just curious

Zeemo

I bet what you want is possible with a mod, You would just have to place the output/input levels into a pedal, and then wire a switch for it ... but wouldn't it be easier to say put a volume pedal in the loop. You would still have the boost with the solo button and a ability to lower the volume...

man a mod is not needed for what you want..... get a morley little alligator which has a minimum volume control so basically set your amp's volume up to where your "solo" level would be.... then set the minimum volume on the pedal to where your rhythm volume would be......

or you can get the morley volume plus which allows you the same functionality as the little alligator but also adds a second minimum volume setting so basically you can switch between them... for what you described the little alligator should do the trick and you can pick one up for $60 instead of paying for a mod

I thought of a volume pedal. but I guess I was thinking in 'purist' terms (which I really am not..... ) (although I dont use any kind of pedals) just guitar into amp, and whatever footswitch comes with the amp.
Would using a volume pedal like you desribe change the responsivenes / tone of the amp ??

I had the capacitor mod done on my mexi strat so that when you back off on the volume on the guitar, it doesn't lose any of the high end, which is really a great mod.

I was thinking that it would be kind of like that using a volume pedal..... that it would be modified specifically for the amp.....

so you guys are saying that a morely (or whatever) pedal wouldn't change or muddy up the tone /responsiveness then ?

Maybe I'll just try one out. mainly because I know it would be way cheaper than a modification like that.

Just a thought though...

Thanks

Zeemo

This may be beyond merely esoteric but Neil Young has a system that will physically turn the knobs on his 59 Fender Deluxe to any setting that he saves. It is sort of a mini-robot footswitch widget thing-a-mah-bob goodiie :D :D :D Dunno what one costs.

zeemo said:
I thought of a volume pedal. but I guess I was thinking in 'purist' terms (which I really am not..... ) (although I dont use any kind of pedals) just guitar into amp, and whatever footswitch comes with the amp.
Would using a volume pedal like you desribe change the responsivenes / tone of the amp ??

I had the capacitor mod done on my mexi strat so that when you back off on the volume on the guitar, it doesn't lose any of the high end, which is really a great mod.

I was thinking that it would be kind of like that using a volume pedal..... that it would be modified specifically for the amp.....

so you guys are saying that a morely (or whatever) pedal wouldn't change or muddy up the tone /responsiveness then ?

Maybe I'll just try one out. mainly because I know it would be way cheaper than a modification like that.

Just a thought though...

Thanks

Zeemo

No tone loss to my ears..... i find morley products to be very transparent and build like tanks.... steve vai uses the little alligator and his signature wah both by morley and i think he has very good taste in tone and products.... but everyone's ears are different..... i'd say before trying a mod (that sounds like it might be pricey) a pedal like the little alligator is a better place to start..... if it doesn't fit your ears then the next step might be a mod.... i would start with the volume pedal.... you can pick one up used for around 30 or get one new at a GC for 60 and if it doesnt fit what your looking for just return it

I'm checking out volume pedals, thanks for the advice.
any suggestions on whether to get passive or battery /ac powered ?
also the morleys seem to use optical sensors (no potentiometer) and the ernie balls use a pot, but it's supposed to have a 'good taper' any thoughts?
Theres a used "late 60 s early 70 s" morley pedal on ebay which uses 110 volt ac power fairly cheap (around $50.00 I think)
also Morley pedals dont seem to have that minimum volume knob....

Thanks in advance.

Z

SixVeeSix said:
This may be beyond merely esoteric but Neil Young has a system that will physically turn the knobs on his 59 Fender Deluxe to any setting that he saves. It is sort of a mini-robot footswitch widget thing-a-mah-bob goodiie :D :D :D Dunno what one costs.

ah, 'the wizzer' i believe it's called. he has like 4 presets and it adjusts all the amp knobs.

I thought this was kinda cool: http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/tip.php it's an expression pedal that works on the same principle as hand brakes on a bicycle, with the tension cable and all that. You can hook it up to any knob on an effects pedal and basically turn the knob by rocking the pedal back and forth. I don't see why a longer cable wouldn't work on an amp knob...

zeemo said:
I'm checking out volume pedals, thanks for the advice.
any suggestions on whether to get passive or battery /ac powered ?
also the morleys seem to use optical sensors (no potentiometer) and the ernie balls use a pot, but it's supposed to have a 'good taper' any thoughts?
Theres a used "late 60 s early 70 s" morley pedal on ebay which uses 110 volt ac power fairly cheap (around $50.00 I think)
also Morley pedals dont seem to have that minimum volume knob....

Thanks in advance.

Z

The morleys definitely do have the minimum volume knob (maybe not the one you were looking at because its older).... my Little Alligator has the minimum volume knob..... i find my the little alligator excellent for swells... sounds very similar to rolling back and forth on the volume pot on your guitar.... morley isnt the only company out there with this type of product either ..... shop around and see what fits you... either way it beats an expensive and risky mod to your amp... for the price ($60) the little alligator is the best for the money... for something that has a little more to it and is suppose to be very transparent check this out.... its a little more but worth a look...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/George-Dennis-GD25-Panorama-Stereo-Volume-Pedal?sku=154253

Back