thinking of trading in the F-30 for a LSS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG L

Reaction score
Hey and thanks for checking out my post. I'm considering trading in my F-30 for a lone star special. Was wondering what you guys think out there about doing that? I'm really looking for that smooth, sweet, buttery, round, beautiful clean tone. I play mostly hybrid rock/reggae/jazz stuff. I definitely like my F-30's channel 2 lead sound but find the clean channel to NOT be as smooth as I like. I do some gigging in small venues and record at home. The adjustable power option and that clean sound is what is drawing me towards the LSS. What do you guys think? Thanks!

I have a LSS and think it would suit you well. The cleans are very buttery IMO, and full of beautiful harmonic richness. A lot of people are going to reccomend the regular Lonestar (updated for 2007 with a 10 watt Class A power option). I think it is going to come down to your personal preference and whether you need the clean headroom and power of the 100 watt Lonestar. If you get a chance you should go to a music store and try them both out!

Will you be using single coil pickups, humbuckers, or both?

(Sorry - edited for typing errors)

Thanks Troy. I've had 100 watt amps before and have never needed that power. I play a PRS McCarty model which is switchable between single and humbucking pickups by pulling the tone knob. 99% of the time I play it in the humbucking mode and prefer the rich, bluesy tone of the neck humbucker for rhythm phrases and switch between the neck and the bridge position for leads, depending on what's needed. I find my F-30 to be a bit loud to play in my house and was looking for something where I can get great tone at lower volume levels for practicing and recording as well as levels good for practicing with the boys and playing smaller venues. Any thoughts?

The LSS definitely has enough power for gigging. The 5 watt mode is great for playing at home and recording, but it can still get quite loud on this setting.

I switch back and forth between a Strat and a Custom 22, and I have found the LSS to favor single coil pickups on channel 1 if you want chimey, smooth, and very clean tone. With humbuckers, channel one clips just a little bit for me with the gain around 12:00, giving a real nice blusey breakup.

Channel 2 gives some incredible lead tones with the drive switch on with both humbuckers and single coils, but it can get muddy with the bass and mid controls up past 10:00-11:00 when using humbuckers.

I have heard that the Lonestar Classic actually has a better clean sound. I have been looking in the "sound clips" section but have yet to find any. Does the LLS have as good a clean sound as the LSC?

I am thinking of buying a LSC, and I play a Parker Fly Nitfly V4 with a H/s/s set up.

I guess what I'm really after is tone. I couldn't stand my fender american deluxe fat strat sound with my fender hot rod amp. Way too twangy and poppy! I'm looking for that smooth, rich clean tone! So how do you feel about the tone on the LSS, Troy? I don't have a ton of cash to drop but I can definitely step to the Lone Star at this point. I noticed there are some other Mesa amps in my price range too that might work well (like the new 5:25 and 5:50 as well as some others...)

zappaslaughter said:
I have heard that the Lonestar Classic actually has a better clean sound.

That's relative to the volume being played. At lower volumes the LSS has the chimier clean sound. However, at the other end of the spectrum -- it's the LSC hands down.

IMHO, the LSC is the superior amp now that mesa has updated it with a 10 watt Class A option.

I guess it depends on individual preference. The cleans on the LSS are incredible, IMO. But they aren't crystal clear like you may expect from a Fender Twin. It's very much based on personal preference whether you will like the LSS or the LSC. They are both great amps, but there are some variations.

I guess the best recommendation I can offer is to try them out side-by-side if you're able to get to a Mesa dealer. It was an easy choice for me because I was looking to get a 30 watt Class A combo. I also really enjoy the tan color scheme of the LSS.

zappaslaughter said:
I have heard that the Lonestar Classic actually has a better clean sound. I have been looking in the "sound clips" section but have yet to find any. Does the LLS have as good a clean sound as the LSC?

I am thinking of buying a LSC, and I play a Parker Fly Nitfly V4 with a H/s/s set up.[/quot

The Lone Star classic also allows the use of EL34's (I prefer them) or 6L6s . Good idea to have guitar that has Humbuckers and single coils .

BIG L said:
I guess what I'm really after is tone. I couldn't stand my fender american deluxe fat strat sound with my fender hot rod amp. Way too twangy and poppy! I'm looking for that smooth, rich clean tone! So how do you feel about the tone on the LSS, Troy? I don't have a ton of cash to drop but I can definitely step to the Lone Star at this point. I noticed there are some other Mesa amps in my price range too that might work well (like the new 5:25 and 5:50 as well as some others...)

I don't know much about the new 5:25 and 5:50s, but when it comes down to the LSS vs. the LSC, it's a very tough decision because they both can get you the sound you're after, but I think the LSS will give you more of a vintage Brit type of feel due to it having EL84s. If I remember correctly both versions of the Lonestar are the same price (or very close in price). You shouldn't have any trouble dialing in the tone you're after on either the LSS or the LSC, each amp will just have slightly different characteristics due to differences in tubes (EL84;6L6, and Class A; Class A/B). But personal preference is going to be key factor in choosing which one to buy!

Thanks so much for your help! I'll have to go for a test drive. Are there any places on the net where I can hear sound samples of the amps? Thanks again.

They have a sound clip section of this forum that includes audio clips of various MESA amps and guitar mixes. I have been unable to find very many clean samples here tho, and next to no LLS or LLC clips here either. If you find some BIG, post the link here wouldya? I would like to hear some clean sounds as well.

Another question... Say I end up with the LSS and should I need some more oomph, can I successfully add a cab with this model?

Troy said:
I guess it depends on individual preference. The cleans on the LSS are incredible, IMO. But they aren't crystal clear like you may expect from a Fender Twin.

I agree with Troy, except I switched out the stock speaker with a Celestion Blue, added a whole new dimension, and a lot of high end sparkle

the C90 favors the gain channel, other speakers are optimal for the clean

am currently running a Weber Blue Dog 30Watt in there, it's not broken in jet, but I went with this to tame some of the high end sparkle the Blue added

the LSS is a remarkable amp, and it takes a while to discover all of the tones you can get out of it, I'm still learnin

BIG L said:
Another question... Say I end up with the LSS and should I need some more oomph, can I successfully add a cab with this model?
Adding another cab would not be a problem at all. The LSS has two 4 ohm outputs (they're labeled "main") and one 8 ohm output (labeled "optional").

The way I'm running it now is with the combo speaker (8 ohms) plugged into one of the main outputs and my 2x12 (also 8 ohms) plugged into the other main output. This works perfectly because two 8 ohm cabinets equal a 4 ohm load.

I also really like the way it sounds through only the 2x12 extension cab when plugged in to the optional output. It is neat because the manual states that using the "optional" output and the 30 watt mode actually gives about 35 watts.

I have owned both the LSS and the LSC...don't have either now for the following reasons.

1. The LSS - "Magical" is the best to describe the sound. Got rid of it in favor of the LSC only because of the headroom and at the time, it was my only combo......the LSS's sound is still in my head

2. The LSC - beautifull buttery fender like tones, and stays that way well into the sound pressure levels. Got rid of it because I needed more versatility out of a single combo amp --> The Road King II. The RK II has about 90-95% of the LSC cleans and it was enough for me to make the change.

Fast forward to today -- I still have that magical LSS sound in my head, and am GAS'ing to re-purchase it -- as it wil not duplicate the clean channel in my RK II (and it's much lighter).

In short, if I were only going to own one amp, it will no doubt be the LSC (especially now that Mesa has added a low watt class A option)......

But if you could own both LSS LSC, that would be ideal.

Thanks Jazzgear for your imput. Seems like you've owned quite a few amps! So, I was definitely leaning towards the LSS especially with your comment on the clean tone being "magical". How about the lead tones on these two amps? Is there one that is better? I definitely like the fat, sweet distortion with lasting sustain (which my McCarty will help provide). Any thoughts? I know I can get a pedal to help in this so its not that big of a deal but if I could omit pedals that would be great! Thanks!

I picked up a LSC today over the LSS. Still learning the ins and outs of the amp, and right now the 3006 models of the LSC are about 300 bucks cheaper to make way for the 10 watt 2007 change.

I played both side by side for hours at the shop..and the special did seem to have a better lead sound, specially at music store volume. I got my LSC home and cranked it, abd let me tell yu it sounds awsome loud. I got the 1 x 12 and a 1 x 12 extension cab.

Neither amp gets very good metal sounds...but they both do the fat fuzzy tone real well.

the tech at the shop i bought from said most people like the clean on the LSC and the dirty on the LSS. he said it is possible to boost the LSC dirty channel by replacing the tubes with what i think he said were 5881's.

Sweet! Keep me up on how you like your LSC. I'm still in decision mode and may be there for awhile...

Latest posts

Back