Thinking of selling my Roadster head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
:?

Tone is the mother of all subjection. I've been A/B ing my newly repaired Heartbreaker and my Roadster head all morning.

I've been using 2 Ash body Strats,
1 Rosewood fretboard, Lace Hot Gold pickup set with Humbucker in the bridge.

1 Rosewood fretboard, Rio Grande Mid-Bottom set (I think), Halfbreeds in the Neck & Mid, Muy Grande in the Bridge.

Setup:
Roadster head, 6L6's into THD 2x12 semi-open cab with Mojotones. I also tried the Roadster through the HB combo cab with 2 Celestion Black Shadows. I messed with all configurations, bold/spongy, tube/diode rectifier, vintage/modern, etc.

Heartbreaker combo, 2 Celestion Black Shadow speakers, with a Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedal in front. Both channels set to clean, using the pedal for distortion.

I should mention that the HB is not stock. I've installed adjustable bias, with JJ tubes. I've also revamped the Reverb so that it is very strong and present. Channel 2 has had all of the mud removed.

After a few hours of playing, I have to say that the lower gain Heartbreaker with a good pedal has my vote. The Roadster sounds great, but the Heartbreaker has much more touch sensitivity and feeling than the Roadster.

Before anybody harps on me, I am no stranger to Recto amps. I've owned 2 2-channel Dual Rectifiers and currently own a Tremoverb as well. I know how to EQ them and how to turn the Gain down.

I really liked the 2x12 Roadster, and have liked my head until today. What a moron I am. :D

Finnally some who sees the light! I've said many times the HB is great, and I tried a roadster- and took it back. Did you say "much" more? Amen-your absolutely right. The HB is way better the most Mesa Amps, pehaps the best ever-although it does dot provide instant gratification. I love my HB, and I just got a Stiletto to compliment it.

The thing is, I didn't like it at 1st. Whereas, I loved the Roadster at 1st.

After beefing up the Reverb and un-muddying Channel 2, this amp is amazing.

I'm going to try the Heartbreaker with some 6V6's today and some NOS Preamp Tubes.

Horses for courses. Stick with the HB if you like it better. It's your choice to make not anyone elses. I love my Roadster though :)

Ciao ...

Storm said:
Horses for courses. Stick with the HB if you like it better. It's your choice to make not anyone elses. I love my Roadster though :)

Ciao ...

+1, Although I have the RK II, but same basic sounds.

What kind of a mod was done to remove the mud? Are we talking something like "voodoo" mods, etc?

What kind of a mod was done to remove the mud? Are we talking something like "voodoo" mods, etc?

Channel 2 is billed as being more of a Marshall like tone, but the circuit was way too bassy. It sounded like the Low Input on the Lower Gain Channel of an older Marshall. Even with my Strats it sounded really muddy to me.

I changed some of the Cathode resistors in Channel 2 so that it would make the Channel more Midrange-y like a real Marshall. Now it sounds like a Plexi head with more oooommph.

:D I would like to have a Plexi, but can't afford one. I have a friend who has about 5 Vintage (pre 1974 Marshall heads), great tones.

I have a Soldano that does any Marshall tone I want except the Plexi, which my Heartbreaker does very well.

I can't stand the build quality of modern Marshalls.

Back