thinking about selling the Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peavey 5150 tighter than the Mark IV? Hmm I find that hard to believe. I bet you haven't found the right settings on the MKIV. Believe me it's tighter for sure.

You might like the 5150 more but it's definitely not a tighter amp, thats for **** sure.

zenabI said:
Peavey 5150 tighter than the Mark IV? Hmm I find that hard to believe. I bet you haven't found the right settings on the MKIV. Believe me it's tighter for sure.

You might like the 5150 more but it's definitely not a tighter amp, thats for **** sure.

I agree. I owned 2 5150s...and while they sounded good, they couldnt get tighter than the Mark IV...even with a pedal. 8)

Bryan,

I remember you had a serious problem with your Mark IV. Wasn't it something with the Lead Channel not having Bass/Mid/Treble controls? Did you ever get it fixed?

Greg

I gave up my Trem-o-verb and now use a 1985 25 watt Peavey Bravo that a friend gave me. I'm running it through a 4x12 cab. I know what your saying. It has tons of gain but remains really tight, no mud whats so ever. I love it. It's great for old school thrash. And at only 25 watts i can push the tubes with full steam and get fantastic warmth. My rig cost less then $700 dollars And I couldn't be happier. If the Peavey inspires you I say do what you feel you need to do.

I'm having a hard time believing this....

I recently ran my Mark IV side by side against a 5150...both through the same cab, rig, guitars, etc.

The 5150 was pure mud....saturated to hell, and very "Brutalz", but it was all buzz and no definition. Everything was enveloped in that over-saturated buzz. At first, it was pretty cool, as it was something I hadn't heard in a long time.

20 minutes later, right after rocking the 5150, I plugged the Mark IV back it....instantly, I got all the aggression and cut, without the buzz, and with perfect definition.

I hate to say it, but the Mark IV is just a better amp. :wink:

The Peavey cab might be a culprit aswell...not a clear cab, and can definitely mud up the Mark IV if you're not careful.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
I hate to say it, but the Mark IV is just a better amp.
The Mark IV is a better amp. But, it's also a very different amp. A more apt comparison, IMO, is a 5150 to a Recto. I was initially ready to dump my 6505 the SECOND after I received my Single-Recto. But, I've re-considered, and plan to have FJA mods do their "60-Watt Metal Mod" (new choke, output transformer, re-bias, etc.). From Jerry's clips, his modded 5150/6505s seem to pwn quite a few other "better" amps.

Latest posts

Back