Thinking about Mark V (or IV) with a 2x12 vertical cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiveman

Reaction score
Hello everybody! It's my first time on the board. I'm thinking about getting Mark V (or perhaps even a Mark IV) and joining the family! :D

I've just started looking at various online prices and haven't decided yet to go with new or used. But in either case, I'm wondering how well would the IV/V pair with a 2x12 vertical combo (such as the 2x12 Vert Slant Recto with V30s). How much punch and low end would you loose compared to a 4x12?

To give you some background.... I play in a more-or-less Prog Metal band... Some recording, some gigging... Among the covers, we do a variety of stuff like Tool, Dream Theater, Avenged Sevenfold, Killswitch Engage, etc. I'm not looking for a brutal metal-sound, and I'm pretty sure Mark IV or V would be more than suitable-enough for my needs. So far, I've been playing through a Marshall Valvestate 2x12 combo, and this would be a major upgrade in every way. The places we play range from small bars to decent-size clubs (where the amps would be mic'd). I'm not really concerned with volume of the 2x12, but more the punch and tone.

Depending on how much money I end up spending on the amp, I may or may not have to go with a cheaper option (the 2x12), but I'd like to know my options first.

Also, would a medium-size Mark head fit nicely over the 2x12 vertical cab, or would I have to go with a short head (which means Mark IV, right, as I only see medium heads for Mark V)?

Oh, and, one more question.... If I need to play metal with Mark IV, like I said already, should I be concerned with version A vs. version B difference? I've been reading about version B heaving more gain on Rhy. 2 channel.

Thanks!

Yo! 2x12 verticals through a Mark IV or V is exactly what I use most of the time. The 2x12 vert (I have 2x12 hori'z, 4x12's, 1x12 rectos and 1x12 thiele's with EV's) is the best... especially with a 1x12 thiele (w/EV) added. Lately I've been gigging with just the Thiele 1x12 and a Mark IV. Absolutely crushing in every sense of the word, classic rock, prog (EV will help immensely for that), funk. The Mark can cover any style of music and is great for cover bands. For prog I stay mostly on the lead channel and it is great!

Thanks. How about the short vs. medium head for the placement on top of a vertical 2x12? And also, the version A vs. version B Mark IV for what I'm wanting to play?

Both heads fit on the vert and either version sounds great. You will get a more noticeable change in tone by moving into a different room than worrying about rev A vs rev B.

Cool. Just curious... Are Mark IV A's typically slightly less expensive than B's? Just making sure I know to recognize a "good deal" when I see one.

Remember that the "A"s are all pushing 20 years old also so factor in a tune up into your buying price.

Just a quick update.... I ended up buying a MKV from someone in a neighboring state, via craigslist. I think he said he's also a member on this board, but I forgot to ask for his username. Either way, a shout out to him now for a good, smooth transaction! The amp rocks, but I have much to learn to get the most out of the amp! :)

I ended up buying a horizontal 2x12 recto with it (from the same guy). It sounds great, although I think I would have preferred the vertical one. I'll keep it for a while, at least. If I decide to get something else, I should be able to sell this cab, as it is still fairly new and in excellent condition.

Latest posts

Back