Thinking about going back to the Bogner XTC

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brentsp

Reaction score
This is my 4th recto I've owned and I'm very pleased with it but lately our band has been doing a lot of rock and not so much heavy chug. I've owned two XTCs and most of the Bogner line and the XTC would be perfect for what we are doing.

The vintage channel would come close but the blue channel of the XTC is something to experience if you've never tried it. I'm just not sure I want to unload the recto to get the XTC though.

I'm not really sure what I'm asking here.......I guess I'm just wanting some kind of support :oops:

I also have an XTC and would never sell it, the blue channel is like a hot rodded marshall and the red channel is a nice mix between a hot rodded marshall and a Rec Orange channel.

You are right, with a recto, you can get **** close to the red channel on a XTC with the orange channel on a recto, I have two older Recto's and it can be very **** close, same tightness and clarity as the bogner with more bottem end.

With that being said, my question is, which recto do you have? If you have a Newer one i would say sell it, find a nice used 2 channel so you still have that recto tone and get an XTC as well.

Brentsp said:
This is my 4th recto I've owned and I'm very pleased with it but lately our band has been doing a lot of rock and not so much heavy chug. I've owned two XTCs and most of the Bogner line and the XTC would be perfect for what we are doing.

The vintage channel would come close but the blue channel of the XTC is something to experience if you've never tried it. I'm just not sure I want to unload the recto to get the XTC though.

I'm not really sure what I'm asking here.......I guess I'm just wanting some kind of support :oops:

The XTC is kind of its own thing, no recto I have had can come close to the Blue channel on it, not to mention just the ability you have with it.

If you get ther right one with all the options you can switch between A/AB and half or full power. Not to mention being able to sign the way the EQ works, or assign a presense knob to a partcular channel etc.. Then there is the boost funtion, basically what it does is take it from one gain level to another, very great for soloing.

I love my Recto's, but there are just certain things they cant do, and trust me i Have had the RK, Trem, 3 channel, rack and now very early 2 channel version.

domct203 said:
There are a lot of other Mesa's to consider besides the Recto line. Have you tried the Mark, Stiletto, or F series?

Dom

I've owned a 92 blackface, 92 racktifier, 1996 recto and 2005 3 channel. I can get any of the recto sounds with this 3 channel.

I've owned 85 Mark III black stripe, 1991 Mark IV and 2002 Mark IV.....great amps but not what I'm looking for.

Tried the series 1 Stiletto and hated it but want to try an Ace head.

I've also owned a couple of Shiva's and a Uberschall but IMO the XTC 101B and XTC Classic are there best (never owned a classic but have played them on occasions)

I may need to sell some guitars, recording gear, pedals etc I guess because I swore I wouldn't give rid of this recto this time around. :roll:

jackieTHEjokeman said:
Get a Line6 Vetta II and get all the sounds.

There ya go, spoken like a true tone guru.... I've used my PODXT and floorboard for a couple of quickie gigs and it got the job done.

If thats the amp to suit your sound I say GO FOR IT!!!!yeh nice amps,would probably consider gettin one myself but just for the studio!!!I love the recto sound,It really does make you play alot better than you expect you could.The uberschall is also pretty sweet,but in my opinion nothin comes by boogie.Owning a boogie was a childhood dream and now I own several,come on the mesa!!!!!Have you considered a Diezel.They are really something special,not in the same field as boogie or bogner If you ask me!!!!
Peace out

mesanomad100 said:
Have you considered a Diezel.They are really something special,not in the same field as boogie or bogner If you ask me!!!!
Peace out
You are not kidding what a line of amps!

I love my Mark IV to death and it will come to the grave with me, but I do plan to get a Diezel.

I do like diezel products but they arent anywhere near boogies,they are awfully boomy and muddy,I dont think you get the clarity or definition with theme whereas mesa or bogner have that specials something quality.any one else agree ohhh I also think diezel sound very solidish in the way the sound and feel,unlike the Roadking.NOW THAT IS AN AMP!!!

I played a Einstien a while back but thats it. It was nice, nothing great though.

Well just bought a Bogner Ecstasy 101B and I didn't even have to unload my Recto to get it either so I get to keep both amps..........Whoo hooo!

welcome to my word! Right now sitting in my room i have

Rackmount recto final revision
1992 Dual Recto S/N R0005
Bogner XTC 101B with all the options
Marshall JCM 800 2203 Reissue
DC3 1x12 combo.

Out of all these amps the rack recto and the XTC get the most playing.
I also have for more tone shaping ability.

Marsall JMP-1
ADA-MP1
Randall RT 2/50 power amp, EL34's on one channel and 6L6's in the other.

Brentsp said:
Well just bought a Bogner Ecstasy 101B and I didn't even have to unload my Recto to get it either so I get to keep both amps..........Whoo hooo!

siggy,im taking it that the s/n on that rec means you could possibly have the 5th mesa recto ever made from the production lines,pretty sweet if so,and how does it compare tonally to a new three channel or even you rack mount

OK I will give you a brief and then the thread from when i first got it. Compared to my rack recto it is a bit tighter, little less gain and more SLO sounding. I dont really think it is that mushy in the bottem end like Mike said, but that is his opinion. I love the way the amp sounds and considering i play more of a hardcore type punk/screamo it works for me. I still mostly play my rack recto though, because it is just as good.

Anyway here is the thread.

http://www.grailtone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6771&start=0

mesanomad100 said:
siggy,im taking it that the s/n on that rec means you could possibly have the 5th mesa recto ever made from the production lines,pretty sweet if so,and how does it compare tonally to a new three channel or even you rack mount

Back