Thinking about EL 34's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcfee

Reaction score
I have some reservations about the 3rd channel due to the fizziness of the high at times. The mids can be hard to dial in too. I am thinking of experimenting with the EL 34s when I can afford some.
Do they sound significantly different or is it more of a subtle change? I do love the 6L6 sound for the cleans and Ch 2. Do the EL 34s keep a great clean tone in CH1?
Thanks !!

I've tried 3 different kinds of EL34s, and I think the change is really significant, especially with SED EL34s. The SEDs add a fullness to the sound while cutting some of the harsher high end. (You can also get good results on the high end by using an NOS RFT 12AX7 in V1.) I don't think channel 1 suffers much from EL34s, and the improvement in channels 2 and 3 outweighs any loss of shimmer in channel 1. Really, for channel 1, with the EL34s, you can just turn the presence up and regain any lost shimmer.

It's all a matter of taste when you come right down to it. Yes, I think the EL34s make a big difference.
IMHO:
- channel 1 took a small hit in that it didn't have the Fendery-type-of-sound anymore, but that is to be expected with the tube switch. That is not to say channel 1 sounded bad, only you can decide what you like.
- channel 2 just plain got better all the way around. The earlier breakup of the EL34s just make that British voiced channel better
- channel 3, here again, it is a matter of taste. It is just a different high gain sound that some will like and some won't

Making the swap to EL34s does tame some of the harsh high end, BUT:
- so does breaking in the speakers if you have a new cab
- I found that using something different than the Celestian V30s made a huge difference as well

Whether you decide to go back to the 6L6s or not, I think it is definitely worth the time to experiment and hear the difference. I eventually put the 6L6s back in, but I have hung on to the EL34s because I know I'll want to try that sound again. Just depends on what your are after.

Thanks for the advice. The speakers are very broken in (Celestion G12-80 "Silver Series") and they are in a sealed 2x12 Marshall cab.
I have heard EL 34 amps with beautiful cleans so I think I will try this swap. Nothing to lose but cash.
Did I hear someone say that V1 is a critical tube position for tone?

rmcfee said:
Thanks for the advice. The speakers are very broken in (Celestion G12-80 "Silver Series") and they are in a sealed 2x12 Marshall cab.
I have heard EL 34 amps with beautiful cleans so I think I will try this swap. Nothing to lose but cash.
Did I hear someone say that V1 is a critical tube position for tone?

The V1 is the first preamp stage, so it has the largest effect as the tone it imparts is what will be amplified by further gain stages.

I have a policy in that if I'm not unhappy with the sound I don't go looking for problems, so while I did ditch the 6L6s for EL34s I also left the stock SPAX7 in the V1.

Hey guys, this is my 1st post to this forum. I've owned my Mark V for a little over a year and love it! I also have a Road King II and although I really like the cleaner stuff on that amp, the Mark V just sounds go much better to me for high gain. Anyway, I'm interested to hear that several of you say that switching to EL-34s actually reduced the high end in channel 3. I haven't tried EL-34s in the V yet but am interested in it now. I always thought EL-34s increased high end a little bit and 6L6s were a little smoother. I just might have to try it out myself...I actually really like the way channel 3 sounds right now but I tend to prefer a little darker sound anyway so maybe the EL34s will sound even better.

I like el-34's. For me it's easier to get a good tone at low volume. I don't have an opinion for live / band situation stuff. Both tube sets have their merits and sound great depending on your tastes.

Mesa says EL34s are brighter in the manual. I have a set of Mesa-labelled EL34s, and they are brighter than the other brands I've tried. But in my experience, EL34s sound darker in this amp than 6L6s. SEDs are especially dark.

I went for it and put in 4 Electro Harmonix EL 34s but only had a few minutes to listen.
My main 1st thought was that the cleans still sounded fantastic. A little different character but really sweet and still great.
My (very) initial reaction to Ch2 and CH 3 was that there was slightly more high end, but a different type of high end if that makes sense.
I plan to spend lots of time tomorrow and will report.

So far I am finding the EL 34s to be great. Not better than the 6L6s but very good in their own way - different not better.
The clean channel is great - no loss there at all but a bit different tone. Sorry to be so undescriptive.
Ch 3 is great too and I was able to get great tones. The high end is a bit more pronounced but I am finding those particular frequencies easier to control.
Ch 2 is a bit more "British" for lack of better terms.
More playing tomorrow to get a better view. Then I know I will switch back just to do a comparison. This tone quest is a mental illness, but a good one. A loud one too.

Latest posts

Back