Thieles ???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geiri

Reaction score
Hi there dudes and dudettes.

I wanna get another cab to compliment my mk IV. It has the EV speaker and it's an early A version. I was thinking, how well does a c90 thiele cab blend with the ev speaker ??

Thanks a bunch

Geiri

I think the better combination is C90 in the combo and the EV in the Thiele. You'll find a lot of people go this route.

Geiri said:
Is the c90 brighter and less bottomy than the ev ?
Yes, and the Thiele was designed for the EV. Or was it the other way around?
If nothing else, putting the EV in the Thiele and the C-90 in the combo will balance the weight between the two cabs nicely.
Another cool feature is that if you are using the combo sitting on top of the Thiele, and for some reason your stage volume is too much, just unplug the combo speaker.
(Be sure to look as if you actually turned the volume knob down.) 8)

MrMarkIII said:
Geiri said:
Is the c90 brighter and less bottomy than the ev ?
Yes, and the Thiele was designed for the EV. Or was it the other way around?
If nothing else, putting the EV in the Thiele and the C-90 in the combo will balance the weight between the two cabs nicely.
Another cool feature is that if you are using the combo sitting on top of the Thiele, and for some reason your stage volume is too much, just unplug the combo speaker.
(Be sure to look as if you actually turned the volume knob down.) 8)

@ Geiri: I would say the EV is crisper without being harsh, with a broad, tight bottom without being flubby. The C-90 has the smooth mid-rangeyness typical of Celestions, but more balanced than most other Celestions. I find it smoother than an EV and a good match for a Mark IV. The C-90/EVM combination is a favorite of many.

@ MrMarkIII: The I believe the cabinet was designed for the speaker, and the basis for the design derives from the research of A.N. Thiele and Richard Small. In short, their research included the performance of vented speaker enclosures, the result of which were cabinet design specifications for a speaker's operating parameters. Thiele cabinets are designed to these Thiele/Small specs. The EV TL806 cabinet (which is the basis for Mesa Thiele cabs) is designed around the operating parameters of the EV12-L. That's why most people recommend installing the EV in the Thiele cab.

I have a Ev in my thiele. Very Chunky and fat compared to the half back with EV. Put the Ev in The Thiele. mixed with anything it will add space and fattness and spread. I now love my two rock 2x12 sig cab mixed with my thiele. Awesomo tone!

Latest posts

Back