There's Nothing Like a New Mesa!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CudBucket

Reaction score
Went to Guitar Center after Ice-Skating w/ my son. Figured I'd take a look at a Stiletto for the first time. Considering the sale, if there were any in stock, I'd consider getting one.

There were 2 Dueces and a Trident on display. Played a Duece and couldn't believe how much I like this simple, great sounding amp. Played the Trident, and liked that too. So I tell the GC dude, "I'll take the trident". At $899, it's the best steal I've gotten there since I landed a Mark IV and 2x12 recto cab for $1229.

To top it off, he had a brand new one still sealed in the back so he gave it to me. All the goodies included like a cover, the color plastic folder with the catalogue and stuff inside, little red "tube-socks". What a great day. I'm still going to get a Roak King Series II but I'll wait till GC has them in stock now.

stiletto_cab.JPG

stiletto_jsx.JPG

Yep! I got my Stiletto Trident Wednesday night. $899 is a steal, period.

I put some JJ 12AX7's (the high gain set) in there and I am amazed by the tone. Even though the gain is "tame" compared to my Dual Rec, it is still effortless to play and tons of sustain on tap. What a great amp.

i found mine to be effortful to play...and sustain was a tad lacking...but good sounds are diffently to be found in there. I love tite clean cranked with gain and loud gives a great ac dc chunk, try it!

Bobbypols said:
i found mine to be effortful to play...and sustain was a tad lacking...but good sounds are diffently to be found in there. I love tite clean cranked with gain and loud gives a great ac dc chunk, try it!

It's such a subjective thing, man. I just went through an ordeal trying two different Carvin V3s and ending up sending them back. I thought it was fizzy and sterile. Meanwhile, others on Carvin.com love it. What can you say? :)

CudBucket said:
Bobbypols said:

It's such a subjective thing, man. I just went through an ordeal trying two different Carvin V3s and ending up sending them back. I thought it was fizzy and sterile. Meanwhile, others on Carvin.com love it. What can you say? :)

Yea, I thought you were from the Carvin board. DF right?
I recognized your green 2x12 too :wink:

So, what all didn't you like about the V3? I've been thinking about
trying one out.

Off to GC to try out a trident today probably... I cannot pass up 899 for this, even if only to sell later you can't lose money on it.

CudBucket said:
Bobbypols said:

Agreed, much of this is subjective...

Well, I couldn't resist the Deuce :D

mesas.jpg

With 30 days to try it out and make sure it's the one, I couldn't pass it up!

What a fantastic amp.

WillP said:
Tube screamer... Nice.

What is that Gibson box on top there Platypus?

It's the rebranded THD Hotplate, except this one has a balanced XLR output on the back.

Guitarz_18 said:
CudBucket said:
Bobbypols said:

Yea, I thought you were from the Carvin board. DF right?
I recognized your green 2x12 too :wink:

So, what all didn't you like about the V3? I've been thinking about
trying one out.

What's up Guitarz_18? Yeah that's me. Well I don't talk about the V3 much over there because I don't have anything good to say about it. I had two and they were both fizz boxes. No matter what settings, tubes, speakers or how loud... It fizzed. Besides that, it was so sterile. The cleans, high-gain, all of it lacked warmth. Another thing is that the clean channel could never be level matched to the gain channel. Can't imagine how that wouldn't be a pain in the *** in a live situation. I don't know what those guys are talking about when they praise it so much. Too each his own I guess. Funny how for the same $900 I ended up with a cherry Stiletto.

Dave

Platypus said:

mesas.jpg

What a fantastic amp.

I'm liking your rig Platypus! :wink:

How do you like the OCD? How do you use it?

CudBucket said:
Platypus said:

mesas.jpg

What a fantastic amp.

I'm liking your rig Platypus! :wink:

How do you like the OCD? How do you use it?

I boost my amp with it to get a tad more sustain with my DR as well as for clean boosting. I haven't tried it with the Stiletto yet since I just got it all home and what not but I'll let you know. Surprisingly, it seems like I won't need it at all with the Stiletto!

I picked the trident as well and got to really crank yesterday. Its a keeper.. I surprised the instead of blowing them out like they did, they just didn't come out with the series II and add 200 to the price and scale down production of the origional to something nill. I wonder how different the new one will be. And who knows, in a few years maby people will be try to get thier hands on one of the origionals because the new ones aren't all that?

3wattamp said:
I picked the trident as well and got to really crank yesterday. Its a keeper.. I surprised the instead of blowing them out like they did, they just didn't come out with the series II and add 200 to the price and scale down production of the origional to something nill. I wonder how different the new one will be. And who knows, in a few years maby people will be try to get thier hands on one of the origionals because the new ones aren't all that?

I snatched one before they 'recto'ed' it up. I've heard they added a ton more gain to it and I wanted it for the vintage aspect of it.

I'll wait to hear a Series II before I decide on modding this one. This could be the 2 channel Dual Recto all over again. For $899, I'm not complaining. Plus, I can't imagine needing more gain. I'm into VH, Satriani and Dream Theater. This amp can do all that right out of the box.

Platypus, how do you like the Stiletto through the 2x12 recto cab. Did you try it out at the store with a 4x12? I'm thinking of getting a 4x12 cab for it. Also, do you use the HotPlate (Gibson) with it?

Dave

CudBucket said:
I'll wait to hear a Series II before I decide on modding this one. This could be the 2 channel Dual Recto all over again. For $899, I'm not complaining. Plus, I can't imagine needing more gain. I'm into VH, Satriani and Dream Theater. This amp can do all that right out of the box.

Platypus, how do you like the Stiletto through the 2x12 recto cab. Did you try it out at the store with a 4x12? I'm thinking of getting a 4x12 cab for it. Also, do you use the HotPlate (Gibson) with it?

Dave

I tried it out in the store with the 2x12 so I could make sure it was ok. I loved it, sounded 100% better than my DR does through the same cab.

I do plan on using the hotplate with it yes, but I haven't had time today. I will update this thread with how it works out if you want to or via PM.

Back