The V is coming but the IV's got tone!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mule#1

Reaction score
I did an outdoor gig last night on a big stage and what a wicked tone! I had run 34's in the outside 2 for the past few gig's but I switched back to a quad of 5881's. I had that classic boogie midrange tone. I played Les Pauls with Burstbuckers. My God did it sound awesome. I know the V is supposed to be on the way boy's but don't panic, the IV is a great amp! Let's hold on to our shorts and see how this thing sounds before we flood the forum with IV's for sale. However if anyone has a IV head for a panic price PM me (lol)![/b]

Know what you mean I’m always back and forth with the 4x6L6 and the 2x2 EL34/6L6 there are things I like with both but R1 with 4x6L6 is just plain awesome!
But on the flip side it is allot easier to get bed room volumes with the 2x2 EL34/6L6 setup.

6L6C said:
Know what you mean I’m always back and forth with the 4x6L6 and the 2x2 EL34/6L6 there are things I like with both but R1 with 4x6L6 is just plain awesome!
But on the flip side it is allot easier to get bed room volumes with the 2x2 EL34/6L6 setup.

I'll agree with that. With the 6L6 or 5881 tubes you need to crank them just a little bit more but it pay's off in spades for what it does tone wise. Last nigt there was a huge tone difference turning the master from 2 to 2 1/4. However the sound guy might not like it!!!!

Can you run 2XEL34's and 2X5881's in a MKIV? Or does it have to be 6L6's with the EL34's? Also, does 5881's drop the the wattage down?
Thanks!

boogietone said:
Can you run 2XEL34's and 2X5881's in a MKIV? Or does it have to be 6L6's with the EL34's? Also, does 5881's drop the the wattage down?
Thanks!

The 5881's are basically the Russian 6L6. They produce a rounder and somewhat warmer tone (IMHO). They do not drop wattage and can be used with the 34's.

Back