The Ultimate Practice Amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well you could go with a Roland Cube, but they seem to be a bit overrated. I highly reccommend a Line 6 Spider III Combo. I practice with a 120W, and it may be a bit more wattage than you're looking for, but any of the other Spider IIIs are well worth it. If you get the 75W or greater, you have access to 400+ presets and any sound you could ever want. If you get the 15W or 30W, you don't get the presets, but you still get any sound you could want in a practice amp. The drive is intense, and the clean is astounding. It's not a Mesa, but for the price you can't go wrong! Trust me, you will not be disappointed if you buy a Spider III. 8)

My practice amp.

100_5123.jpg

Friend of mine has the smallest Roland Cube and I got to mess with it. Sh*it man, that thing really boogies. Pretty suprising for all of its features; and the sound can only get better the larger the speaker.

The smallest one should be great for road trips since I think it's the only one that takes batteries.

The micro cube sounds ok if you consider what it is and how much it costs. It will never actually sound like what the amp selections would like you to believe it is supposed to be sounding like. But then again what do you expect for $100. Besides, you get to take it in the car, out to the park, or anywhere else you want (except maybe on a plane- **** rules!)

If you ever find a mitchell pro 100 or pro 60 amp, those are boogie mark1 copies!!! and they should be pretty inexpensive :twisted:

edit: found one

MITCHELL PRO-100 guitar amp, late 70s', 60-100 wt. switchable, big and bad, extra tubes w/JBL 12" in Ruby Tubes cabinet.... $500 [email protected]

I saw a couple of those Mitchells lately. I also saw one of their 2x12 reflex cabs.

treedroppings said:
If you ever find a mitchell pro 100 or pro 60 amp, those are boogie mark1 copies!!! and they should be pretty inexpensive :twisted:

MITCHELL PRO-100 guitar amp, late 70s', 60-100 wt. switchable, big and bad, extra tubes w/JBL 12" in Ruby Tubes cabinet.... $500 [email protected]
... and very noisy!
Hey treedroppings, if you find a Mitchell Head fully loaded (6-band EQ, reverb, 100/60 watt) around SJ area I may have owned it once. I sold mine on consignment at Guitar Showcase awhile back.

what about an orange tiny terror,
switchable between 7 and 15 watts all tube class A power the best little amp I have ever palyed

they are like £299,so that like $400 but Im sure they will be cheaper in the states as they wont be goin for currency convertions(those things)

have a shot Im gonna buy one on payday :D

RR said:
treedroppings said:

... and very noisy!
Hey treedroppings, if you find a Mitchell Head fully loaded (6-band EQ, reverb, 100/60 watt) around SJ area I may have owned it once. I sold mine on consignment at Guitar Showcase awhile back.
I had mine back in '83 it sounded better thru a evm cab than a soundesign cab :p
it had a burnt pc trace then mom thru it out :twisted:

The Cube 60 awesome clean (JC), rythym and lead channel great modeling effect and this beast is so loud. Awesome for your bedroom and can easy make it to a gigs.

i would personally recommend something in class A and with low power output (2W class A is pretty ok for bedroom practicing when cranked up), maybe something like ibanez valbee, 5:25 or some custom built amp (friend of mine has 2W matamp custom built, and it doesn't forgive anything) - IMO it's pretty hard to play amps that use power tubes for distortion, but it's worth it when you try, + anything goes much easier on amps with master volume when you're used to play on these non-mv things :)

Even though I adore tube amps I can tell you that this Roland Cube 60 is an amazing product. Light and rich of sound. And all the fx you need are built in." Indeed, across several major guitar forums the Roland Cube 30 and 60 are being given high marks by consumers.

The Roland Mini Cube is a cool little amp.. I went to pick one up today and ended up going with a Vox DA-5 instead because it has more power and isn't a whole lot bigger/heavier. It's portable, 5 watts, has a bunch of built in fx and can be run off of 6 C batteries. My cousin and I went to the tunnels over in Golden Gate Park today and played. He played his acoustic while I played my lap steel through the Vox.

Good times.

Russ said:
I was wondering about that little Vox...

Considering it's 140 bucks and you can take it to the park or use it to busk I don't think you can beat it. It sounds pretty good for such a little box and it's got plenty of fx you can use with it too. It's 5 watts so it can get pretty loud too.

Latest posts

Back