The ultimate (cheap) living room practice amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't believe no one has recommended the Fender SCXD or VCXD's. Tube tone at any volume, not to mention you can get over the top distortion that sounds great at very low levels.

thanks for all your replies and suggestions. i ended up going w/the Roland Micro Cube. great amp for the money. i WAS considering a Line 6 Spider Jam which costs considerably more, but the on board jam tracks and looper were VERY welcome additions that i felt made it worth the money. i checked out the G Dec and found the jam tracks to be on the cheesy side. think, Muzak. what stopped me from getting the Line 6? as cool as it was, i wanted something small and w/low wattage. 75 watts was a bit much. i've already got a looping device, so i can just stick that in front of the cube.

Jack Dotson said:
Can't believe no one has recommended the Fender SCXD or VCXD's. Tube tone at any volume, not to mention you can get over the top distortion that sounds great at very low levels.

I was just about to recommend the Super Champ XD. I've got one and just use channel 1 with a keeley modded ds1 or metal zone...great at low volumes, the 16 amp models are pretty decent but you can't use a boost or anything in front of them. Its rated at 15 watts and it sounds great through my 2x12 extension, its my new backup amp for the roadster, just plug in the pedalboard and i'm ready to go...i may even leave the roadster home sometime....nah!

line6 pocket pod

someone recommended the pocket pod, i tried it and it is absolutly great for very very low volume.

scruffydoo said:
zappaslaughter said:
I know it is not a tube amp, but I use a Roland Microcube to practice late at night in my garage. It is a 5-10 W solid state amp with an on board effects setup. They list for around 125$, but you can talk em down to around 90-100$. It is a kick *** little practice amp.

+1 its a great sounding small amp, I really like the the recto setting, runs off batteries too. :D

I have a Cube 30x in my living room - great for low volume. Scruffydoo is right about the Recto setting! :twisted: The cleans sound nice and the delay/chorus, while not terribly adjustable, are nice to have right there.

I've tested almost every amp mentioned in this thread......and if I wanted bedroom level practice with variety of tones and some semblance of tube tone I would go back to the Vox VT every time. I like the Super Champ XD but even that has its hands tied compared to the Vox. No contest..... You can get the VT50 used for about $250, plug in an extension cab whenever you want, 12 inch tone, power soak on the back for crunch at any volume, 22 models and ability to save 8 of your own presets, nice built in fx. Except for the SCXD, none of those other toy amps can keep up......

on a budget get the VT30 instead and mount a shorting jack on it. But the 50 is much easier to maintain because you dont have to remove the chassis to change the tube.

I have a VOX DA5. It could be had for around $100. Great practice/Small jam session amp.

Takes batteries, comes with AC adapter, headphones output, and lots of standard amp/effect models.

I have the Cube 30x and used to have the VT30 in my living room and they are both excellent sit on the couch and play amps. I like the Cube 30x better though, the JC Clean, Black Panel and R-FIER alone make this amp.

after jamming with my SCXD fender I like it a lot, esp. for the cleans and the Marshall distorted modes (7-9). Effects are pretty **** decent for a $300 box, can't beat this amp for practice. Does RATM type sounds pretty well, and gets to metal-ish as well with easy pinched harmonics left and right.

too loud @ 15 watts though... be careful if you buy this thinking it will be quiet with volume @ 2. It's not. Get a Mark IV instead.

Back