The ultimate (cheap) living room practice amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinskin57

Reaction score
o.k., so my LSS 2X12 is (even at 5 watts) too loud for late night playing while my family sleeps, plus way too heavy to be moving up and down stairs late at night. i'm thinking of purchasing an inexpensive, used practice amp that has (hopefully) half way decent tones. i'd like to not go over $200. i've been thinking about the tech 21 trademark 10. read good things about it's crunch/distortion, but heard the cleans weren't at the same level. being somewhat of a gear snob, i've never really shopped at this price point so i'm wondering if anyone can offer any suggestions. please be sure to mention why you're recommending whatever it is you're recommending, and thanks!

http://www.blackhearteng.com/bh5h.html

I paid $150 for the head. It's only one channel, but it is a cool amp, and it loves pedals. I also bought the Bitmo amp mod off Ebay for $35 and it adds three different voicings to each power setting giving you 6 different "channels" in one amp.

honestly, i 've been practicing with an Ibanez GH10 or somehting....tiny little beginners amp that comes with the guitar/amp package. The distorion on this thing is sweet for what it is! I'm actually considering micing it for the bands next work, just to experiment.

the blues jr, and even the little 5 watters like the blackheart and epi VJ are still way too loud for "sleeping family" practice unless you are only going to practice (very) clean.

this is what modelers and decent headphones are for :)

I'm with you on the gear snob thing but take a look at the Vox Amplug. Nothing is going to be quieter then something you stick in your ear. I picked up the AC30 and Classic Rock versions and I have to say I was kinda shocked for the price point ($40 bucks each). Vox has some clips of each on there site.

Just my HO,

SRat

I know it is not a tube amp, but I use a Roland Microcube to practice late at night in my garage. It is a 5-10 W solid state amp with an on board effects setup. They list for around 125$, but you can talk em down to around 90-100$. It is a kick *** little practice amp.

AustinK said:
this http://www.gearwire.com/vox-ad30-vt.html

I have never played one but the video is pretty inpressive :D
[/quote]

I contemplated getting that amp after playing it. It's a great little amp and many people are using it to record with. I'd recommend it highly. The only reason I didn't get it is because I just bought a 1x12 and tote my head back and forth to practice.

mark iv gets way quiet and way loud. i think it really might do everything

I think any modeling amp would have a perfect duty as bedroom or living room practice amp. I have the VOX DA5 and it works perfectly for this purpose. I think most guitarists try to make tubes a part of every guitar amplifier but it truly isn't practical due to the volume, price, cost of maintenance, etc. An all in one box is a great practice tool.

Greg

disassembled said:
I think any modeling amp would have a perfect duty as bedroom or living room practice amp. I have the VOX DA5 and it works perfectly for this purpose. I think most guitarists try to make tubes a part of every guitar amplifier but it truly isn't practical due to the volume, price, cost of maintenance, etc. An all in one box is a great practice tool.

Greg
Agree 100%

The only problem i have with the modeling stuff for practce, is if you wear phones, you tend to get ear-fatigue very quickly..but as other here mentioned, there are tons of low-watt tube amps..blackheart has my interest. I had a pro jr. that was great with a pedal in front, but i sold it..guy offered me more than i paid, so i sold it...kinda regret it, but lifes too short and there are tons of others to try out...currently i use a "lowly" valve jr. combo with an od pedal in front and it is graet for practice, very tubey sounding and very touch-responsive for a $80 amp used.

zappaslaughter said:
I know it is not a tube amp, but I use a Roland Microcube to practice late at night in my garage. It is a 5-10 W solid state amp with an on board effects setup. They list for around 125$, but you can talk em down to around 90-100$. It is a kick *** little practice amp.

+1 its a great sounding small amp, I really like the the recto setting, runs off batteries too. :D

Another vote for the Micro Cube. Perfect amp for a variety of guitar sounds at whisper volumes AND guitar on the go.

Marshall MG Series 15DFX . This thing is great for home use. I have 2 children under the age of 2 and a very tired wife and I have had no complaints. malmsteen uses this amp in his dressing room as seen in the G3 video.

I vote for the fender GDEC..it tones are not the greatest but there is a ton of options at your fingers, you can record and play over what you have recorded, add or subtract drums or bass. You can adjust tempo.it also has aux ins for a cd player or mp3 player and headphone jack. Its a little more than 200 but well worth it IMO.

I'm a tube purist when it comes to live settings...

...but i would practice with a micro cube or a small Roland Cube over any small tube combo for just practicing. The versatility and convenience these things have really surpasses anything I've used to practice thus far.

The 5w Epi Valves and the 15w BluesJr are pretty cool, but you'd really have to put a few pedals in front of it to get a decent range of sounds, and when i personally practice, I'm not so worried about purist tone as much as just dialing in quick tones (that don't sacrifice much tone).

Back