"The Travel song" (MK2B 60 w/GEQ)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo

Reaction score
LINK UPDATED WITH FRESH MIX, NEW FILE

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2302&alid=-1

use the 'Download' button, far right..
it sounds the best..
the streaming is...... meh.

3 different guitars used...
all thru a MK2B 60 w w/GEQ

Not my cup of tea but it is definetly well written and well recorded. Good job. I like the timbre on the guitar a lot, blends in nicely with everything else. Nice solos too.

How was this recorded? (Mics, preamps, etc.)
The quality is awesome.

The song came up in my media player. Anyway, I only have a couple of critiques otherwise it's sound pretty darn good. 1st The Bass seems to bassy or to big in the mix on my system. I always keep mine a little thin to play it on different systems and when I find a medium or flat system middle of the road I dial it in on that system and play it around again on different systems to further fine tune it. 2nd, the vocals are lost in the mix. I'm sure you know what to do. Did you sing? Cause sometimes you (I)can be a little self conscience and deny a proper mix. Go for it!

SUGGESTION:

use the DOWNLOAD button.
it's a 256 kbps mp3, that sounds 10 times better than the hi fi streaming.

i've about decided to give up on streaming audio.

ok, new mix, fresh off the presses.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=TTdITkFtRStxRTNIRGc9PQ

256 kbps mp3 download

the original mix/master version is still up, IF you want to compare.

this one:
bass level down, re-eq'd, more low roll off, guitars panned different w/level changes (up and down), vox levels up, compressor settings changed, vocal effects tweaked, Master eq and Multiband comp and limiter (vintage settings) used for mastering.

Ok! That mix sounds good. I can hear everything. I can really hear the guitars better to my suprise. Yeah, the vocals sound clean, not bad! It sort of reminds me of Jon anderson and in general "Yes" from the Trevor Rabin period.

7-2-08 8:30pm update

256 mp3 download
travel song-mas-mb2.mp3 (9270 KB)

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=TTdHL0dCSU80b0RIRGc9PQ

same mix as the update, but with new mastering scheme...
much gentler on the 'push'.
;)

please tell me if this one cleans it all up............

and here's a picture narrative of what i did:
(i mix my tunes to a stereo pair, and keep this pair clean-- then i apply mastering settings and bounce this down to a new pair, keeping the raw mix always)

Here is the original raw mix:
you can see that the bulk of the wave form is around -12 to -6, with the meter pegged at -2.7 on the snare strikes.....

travelmixhe8.jpg

Mastered file for the previous version:

travelmasuu5.jpg

ok, now for the new one--

Mastering settings for this latest version:

massettingsnc4.jpg

and the new mastered file:

travelnewmasxw6.jpg

That thing is amazing. Actually my my digital recorder has a 7 band mastering comp. But I never used it. I just used the regular mastering comp. BTW my recordings sound much better than those MP3 format on my space. I don't know much about that stuff, my singer posted up that site.
I think both versions have good things about them. The latest version should play well on any media. The previous version was pushed up and sounded very explosive and lively. I could hear more in that mix including reverbs. Maybe a compromise between the two?
I just gave it a quick listen again switching back and forth a 10 sec clip of the two versions. I 'm leaning toward the pushed version for reasons I stated earlier. If the vu meters are supposed to mimic analog vu's, we would peak at +3 as a rule in the old days. The mix didn't come alive unless you went into the red.
Thanks for showing those mastering effects. It tempts me to go back try mine again. But my unit needs a push button rebuild on some 30 odd buttons I wore out doing some 25ish songs. And that will cost maybe in the neighborhood of $300. All my recorders went down over the years because of worn out buttons, like you, I just recorded a heck of alot of stuff. It's a skill and a gift.
How long have you been doing this? Did you apprentice your skills from someone or hung out at a studio soaking it all in? I started around 1983 with the Teac 4 track reel to reel. Also hung out at a dudes home studio in Hollywood soaking it all in. He played everything and encouraged me to do the same for my budding recordings.

There's a huge improvement on the updated file. It sounds so much clearer with less bass in the mix.

Great sound!!

plan-x
thanks for listening again...
you know, so many people fall for that 'louder is better' thing....
in the case of the original mix, there were obvious problems with the clipping, that was REALLY obvious if you have a good monitor system...
and it happened because i ouput the raw files by accident, rather than the file that went thru the limiting stage.....
it took the volume push, but didn't do the limiting, and had about 20,000 clips to it!!
LOL

i don't know what that means in relationship to other 'pro' mixes, that are absolute square looking when you see the waveform.....
but i have a feeling that i'm pretty sure i don't want my stuff to EVER sound that way.

analog, and digital, are such different beasts, there's really know way to apply analog to tape signal strength to what you can do in digital, without distressors and whatnot....

i've been recording for 25 years.
on tape at first, of course, and then to digital.
i've been doing digital recording since 1999.
i real a lot, do a lot of homework, and also spend a lot of time actually doing it.

MesaDCLP
thanks for checking it out!
yep, a lot clearer now.
and the bass didn't change a whole lot, level wise, but i DID tweak the eq, level and compression settings, and together they added up to enough change to make the big difference.....

LINK UPDATED WITH FRESH MIX, NEW FILE

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2302&alid=-1

use the 'Download' button, far right..
it sounds the best..
the streaming is...... meh.

Latest posts

Back