the most versatile ENGL Amp for metal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure I've played Diezels. They're great amps. They're light years better than almost all the rectifiers I've played but then I generally don't like Rectifiers. I owned a very early 2 channel Dual that was awesome but mostly I've thought Recto's were flubby, unresponsive pieces of ****.

I'm just saying that if you compare something like a Diezel, to say my Mark V, my VHT, or my Titan modded Marshall, it's sterile and processed sounding because of the nature of the amp. Mostly the Einstein is worse than the Herbert which is awesome. It's just a different vibe. My Lonestar cleans killed just about everything till I got the Mark V (the only reason I got rid of the Lonestar) and no amp I've played comes close to that incredible bell like dynamic clean.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging on Diezels. They're easily in the top 5 most well constructed production amps and they do sound great. They just have a vibe I don't get along with as well as others but they do sound incredible (barring the Einstein which I really don't like).

That being said, ENGL are much more on par with Peavey with regards to construction and as such don't rate the price. At least with Diezel you're getting what you pay for.

I'm a total amp ***** and I'd love to own a Diezel. I've just never got round to getting one and the SLO is first on my list of amps in the $3000-$5000 range when I start buying gear again.

madryan said:
I'm just saying that if you compare something like a Diezel, to say my Mark V, my VHT, or my Titan modded Marshall, it's sterile and processed sounding because of the nature of the amp. Mostly the Einstein is worse than the Herbert which is awesome. It's just a different vibe. My Lonestar cleans killed just about everything till I got the Mark V (the only reason I got rid of the Lonestar) and no amp I've played comes close to that incredible bell like dynamic clean.
Still don't see how you come up with this "sterile and processed" idea of yours with the Diezels, especially when you are comparing a Mark V and VHT as something being more natural. What VHT head do you own? My 50CL was great, but again, not as dynamic and raw as my Herbert.

I won't even start on the cleans between the Mark V and Herbert, but you probably already have an idea which I think is better...

rjf said:
madryan said:
Still don't see how you come up with this "sterile and processed" idea of yours with the Diezels, especially when you are comparing a Mark V and VHT as something being more natural. What VHT head do you own? My 50CL was great, but again, not as dynamic and raw as my Herbert.

I won't even start on the cleans between the Mark V and Herbert, but you probably already have an idea which I think is better...

I'm talking about the Deliverance 60. Totally different beast. IIRC the Herbert had a much warmer fatter clean like my Marshall JMP whilst my Mark V has a clean like a Fender. Both really nice.

I'd say the Invader is their most versatile amp for metal due to being less compressed and having a more natural nature than other engls. Ive never played an SE, but from what I gather and have heard of it it seems like an over complicated powerball. That said, I know for a fact that many metal heads enjoy the compression that engl is known for.

Latest posts

Back