The Mark IV thread....!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try one or all of the following:

Turn the Presence down a bit
Make sure the Lead Drive is not pulled
Switch Harmonics/Mid-Gain to Harmonics
Pull the Lead Gain
Treble at about 5-6

This works for me. I get nice Black Album tone from these settings and I don't even have EMGs!

The manual has some good tips on how to avoid feedback problems, also. So, if you haven't already, check it out. Good luck.

fpoon said:
Is anybody getting Feedback problems with the Mark IV on the Lead Channel. Im talking about aiming for the Metallica Crunch Distortion. I have EMG pickups which probably add more to the feedback but I can't figure out a way to stop it. If I turn my settings lower, its not the distortion im looking for. Im also about 6-7 feet away from the amp. Any tips?

change the ground ??

UsrName said:
Well, I just got a MC-90 from jayjayturner on this board. Good guy and smooth transaction! I'm throwing it into my combo tonight! It was originally loaded with the EV, but I wasn't happy with the sound (or the weight!). So, I picked up an empty 1x12 Thiele cab and swapped it there. Hopefully it will give me some of that Celestion grit that I was missing with the EV and together I think it's going to sound awesome. :D

You are going to dig the EVM in the Thiele. That little cabinet rocks. Then mixing EV and Celestion sounds great too.

Russ said:
You are going to dig the EVM in the Thiele. That little cabinet rocks. Then mixing EV and Celestion sounds great too.

I'm already diggin' it. I've had it in there for a couple months, so the combo was empty. It was pretty convenient putting cables and stuff where the speaker should be. Didn't get a change to put it in last night, but I should be able to tonight.

Do I need a gasket on the back of the rim like the EV has, or will it be ok without it? Can I use something like foam pieces instead?

Placing a speaker in an open back combo cabinet really is a matter of the speaker just being firmly mounted as there is no real spl to deal with there. It is more about keeping the speaker from rattling around than anything else. I have mounted open back combo cabs with and without a speaker gasket and it didn't really matter. Do not try speaker mounting without a gasket in a sealed cabinet though or you will more than likely have issues.

Thanks Russ. I installed it last night and it definitely lends that British character to the sound. It also seems less efficient than the EV, but that's a good thing to me. I'm definitely happy with the tone so far, but I have to crank it up to be sure. I still have to hook it up to the Thiele...more on this later.

rabies said:
also depends on volume/master volume.

if you max out drive/gain and turn your master up past 3 or so (at least on my Mark III), you can get feedback anytime you stop playing.

What are your gain and volume settings?

Active EMG's have a dB boost (15 db?) Keep that in mind.

Yes I do have active EMG's. I also do face away from my speakers and I'm sitting at a position where there is less feedback but sometimes its still just insane and annoying. I tried my Mark IV at my friends house and the humming sound (which i forgot to add is also one of my problems) was gone so it must be somthing in my house. So basically I have a humming and feedback problem in my house but there is no humming at my friends house. My Lead Gain is at 7.5, treble at 8, and drive at 8 and my presence at 6. My master volume is at 3 and my main volume control is around 2-3. I also have my midgain switch on which I realize with active EMGs you guys can imagine there will definaately be feedback but the humming is annoying as hell and I know youll say turn of the midgain and lower your settings but the tone just changes dramatically. BAH! Do you guys have a humming sound? (not the same as feedback).

i've got hum on lead channel at my band's rehearsal place... i'm also set up right next to a refrigerator... go figure

i haven't had a chance to play it other places that loud yet, so i don't know if it's the electrical system there or if i should replace my tubes (don't know if the original owner ever changed them in the 3 years he had it)

A slightly offtopic question..don't really know where to post it..but since the question is for mark IV..here i go: does anyone know if there are the same input transformers for all of Europe and UK? Or are they making 230 and 240V transformers?

Thanks

eltrain858 said:
i've got hum on lead channel at my band's rehearsal place... i'm also set up right next to a refrigerator... go figure

i haven't had a chance to play it other places that loud yet, so i don't know if it's the electrical system there or if i should replace my tubes (don't know if the original owner ever changed them in the 3 years he had it)

There is a refrigerator in that little room?

Btw, is that a Razer sitting on the mousepad?

Lucifer said:
A slightly offtopic question..don't really know where to post it..but since the question is for mark IV..here i go: does anyone know if there are the same input transformers for all of Europe and UK? Or are they making 230 and 240V transformers?

Thanks

Same.

They have only 240 V export versions :lol:
The tranny's are really overrated so they can take a lot of abuse.

Thank you for the info! :) And another question..Im about to try a combo (compact size) and the previous owner replaced the original speaker for the V30.. What should i expect? :) Better/Worse sound?

Lucifer said:
the previous owner replaced the original speaker for the V30.. What should i expect?
I think you should expect problems. Isn't the v30 rated at 60W? If you're gonna play simul-class/full power your Mark4's output is 85W.

Russ said:
There is a refrigerator in that little room?

Btw, is that a Razer sitting on the mousepad?

Yeah man, that's where the bass player lives :lol:

And no, its just a mouse...

Pinweaver said:
Lucifer said:
the previous owner replaced the original speaker for the V30.. What should i expect?
I think you should expect problems. Isn't the v30 rated at 60W? If you're gonna play simul-class/full power your Mark4's output is 85W.

Did you ever set the master AND output on 10 with those settings...

Probably not, otherwise you would be splashed against the wall, so its a perfect speaker for the Mark IV.

The V30 can handle 70-75 Watts.

Hello..again here in this topic..a proud owner of Mark IV 91' compact combo :)
Yeah like you said..i would be splashed against the wall and die immediately.. :) It's loud as hell and it sounds like heaven! :)

Lucifer said:
Thank you for the info! :) And another question..Im about to try a combo (compact size) and the previous owner replaced the original speaker for the V30.. What should i expect? :) Better/Worse sound?

I think the V30 will break up a little more because of the lower wattage. You might like it, you might not, depending on the type of music you play.

Thanks for the info! I tried a Marshall stock 1922 box and it sounded even better (more low end - cause of the bigger box, obviously)

Lucifer said:
Thanks for the info! I tried a Marshall stock 1922 box and it sounded even better (more low end - cause of the bigger box, obviously)

And closed back. I had a 2x12 cab with basically the same dimensions as that cab, but when I got my Thiele 1x12 with EV, it sounded just as good if not better. So I sold it. You should check one out, perfect for a smaller rig.

rabies said:
Lucifer said:

Genz benz 2x12 ported will kill that and maybe a 1960a 4x12. baffled and ported closed back animal.

Or an EarCandy BuzzBomb, which is also ported. Good news is it's totally customizable, bad news is you have to wait for it to be built.

Latest posts

Back