The Mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerlord

Reaction score
Could this amp be the end all of metal amps past and present?I've played many and owned a few but have never heard any of them produce such clear brutal gain.Is there an amp that rivals the III in metal at the same price you can land one of these?I play metal and this amp produces the sound I hear in my head when I think of metal and I'd like to know of other amps that are in the same tone class and volume as the Mark III so I have future reference to bullshit amps and the real deal.

thiscar.jpg

Mighty rad Gumby .

I had a green stripe combo with EVM and it was the most brutal thing I ever heard - but I don't like the Recto style voicing so take my comment for what it's worth.

once i heard a blue stripe head ive always wanted one awesome gain but ive always thought of them as not really modern enough but i know some people will def disagree

I think the Mark series and the modded JCM 800 kind of brought rock and metal to where it is today and every tone since is just a variation,kind of like most of your rock and metal tones and styles have already been pioneered and we're just using variations now.Some of the younger players come over and jam and they bring their XXX's, JSX's,randalls,marshalls and are really dissapointed that their amps don't offer the brutality that the III has and that's without a pedal in front of the III.I have a XXX with a metal zone in front of it and I can't get any where near the clarity or brutality with it.When metal and hard rock started out it was with a clean razor like gain with gobs of sustain and delay,now it's muffled and soft for the most part.IMO.

vic said:
once i heard a blue stripe head ive always wanted one awesome gain but ive always thought of them as not really modern enough but i know some people will def disagree

I own a greenie simul and absolutely love it! But I will agree with you. MKIIIs sound awesome, but in their own "MKIII-voice" kind of way, which is to say more "vintagey" gain. And that is why I love mine, but also have a DC5 to get that modern voicing for when I want it. That's the beauty of 31 flavors :D

Edward

I now own the EVM-loaded green-stripe combo gwayne used to own, and I wholeheartedly second his opinion.

It's now perched atop a Celestion-loaded Thiele and even kicks more ***.

Koprofag said:
I'd definitely say so. Back in the early 90's when people were still pushing their JCM800's with Boss HM-2 etc. the Mark III did it all by itself. Early 90's metal tone is the grittiest, coldest and heaviest yet imo. Modern metal tone has nothing compared to the "pseudo-solid state" old-school thrash drive. Everything's fat, flat and fizzy today. Especially high gain tube amps that barely use the power stage anyway. It may not be the amps but the production though..I just hate it. Modern sound engineering. It's just all been taken too far into white noise with no dynamics at all. :roll:

Admit it, on an engineering level you all still prefer to listen to Master of Puppets over Slipknot and Dimmu Borgir. :twisted:

Well said brother,it doesn't get any more brutal than the Mark series IMO,and I'd rather listen to the growl of yesterday than the sound I'm hearing today from the new bands,I do see and hear the old coming back in alot of new bands though,hopefully it makes a change back to the raw tone of the modded JCM's and the MarkIII's. :)

It's been a week or so now and I'm back to the MK-III
My 2 cents:)
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=16742

(Buddy Christ)Thats some funny sh!t!!! Jay an Bob RULE!!!!!!!

standing8count said:
It's been a week or so now and I'm back to the MK-III
My 2 cents:)
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=16742

(Buddy Christ)Thats some funny sh!t!!! Jay an Bob RULE!!!!!!!

Wow! I've never heard that comparison,I know the Bogner reviews are stellar,so the Mark III is a better overall amp! I'm going to the grave with mine,and I'm gonna start playing and collecting every older Mesa I can. :D

i right now have one of the tightest rigs known to man.lol.mk IV for clean,dirty and lead and then mk III for all out brutal Gain!!!.. into a trad mesa 4x12 .. switching it with a headbone by radial.. it's sweet!!

I just got a MK III yesterday, after owning a TSL100 and the 3-channel 30th anniversary Marshall I am very appreciative of finally having tone controls that actually do something.
In just a few hours I realized that I had really been missing out playing those f*****g muddy expensive Marshalls.

For clear defined high gain sounds, I have not heard anything that comes close, espescially not anything out of england.

I think the Bogner is a awsome amp...BUT it's more of a one trick pony.
By that I mean it's set more to metal then anything else and it does it probably better than any of the others.If thats all you play then Uber is it.If you plan to play all kinds of music stay with the MK-III
The MK-III can get close with a EQ in the loop:)

I have owned a red stripe simul class ev combo from new in sept ,87, still
my main amp, covers all styles from country to metal, the best mark overall, bought a mark 4 in 1991, sold it 2 years later, still got the mark three.

ukboogie said:
I have owned a red stripe simul class ev combo from new in sept ,87, still
my main amp, covers all styles from country to metal, the best mark overall, bought a mark 4 in 1991, sold it 2 years later, still got the mark three.

Latest posts

Back