The LP 71 Deluxe sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artmusic

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals, I currently have two Les Pauls, a 71 Deluxe which I have decided not to bring out to gigs or a regular basis and a 98 Les Paul DC. I like the DC very well, plays great and I have no problem taking it everywhere but....I am trying to get as close to the 71 sound as possible. I know the 71 is solid and that it has the mini HB's. I don;t even know if I can get them anymore. Would there be any suggestions for pickups or setting up the pickups to capture some of the 71 sound. I currently have SD 59 in the neck and a JB in the bridge. Thanks for any help,
Art

I have only played a mini humbucker guitar once, so I am no expert,but my fave pickup maker(bare knuckles) makes a p-90 that fits to exact specs as a full hb-you could replace your existing ones with some "Mississippi Queens" (Bare Knuckle model) and get a p-90 tone =they make soapbars as well,but I dont know the sonic differences besides the fact that the magnets might be different(if the mini's use alnico II mags, you might could buy an aftermarket humbucker with alnico II's as well...)-pups are gonna make a big difference searching for that raw tone

I have a 74 Deluxe that someone had the bridge position routed for a
fullsize Humbucker when I bought it years ago, it has s has a P90 Soapbar in the neck pos.
I recently put a Duncan PhatCat (P90 in with a Humbucking sized cover) in the bridge position. There's a bit more hum but it's definitely different. Not a mini HB, but it it is another option.

Duncan makes minis but your pup cavities are too large.
A custom beauty ring perhaps?

Thanks for the input guys....Anyone with any experience with Gibson 57 Classic Plus pickups? I tried them out on a simular guitar through the same two amps I have and it sounded much better than the SD 59 to my ears. Nuch more balanced and without the high bite that has been haunting me.
Thanks,
Art

I have an Epiphone Dot with the 57 Clasisc Plus in the bridge and a
regular 57 Classic in the neck position. To my ears the regular
57 Classic is a better sounding pickup than the 57Plus.
Not as bright,and smoother, of course they're not in an LP either
so your mileage may vary.

FWIW I don't like Duncan's '59 or the JB, both of which are highly favored by a lot of lead type guitar players, again, very bright pups when I had them in my guitars . I really like Duncan's Pearly Gates though.

Then again I've got a DiMarzio Super distortion in my LP Custom
and I LOVE it - So what do I know:)

Sorry to get off track.

Thanks for the input Bob, after testing the LP with the 57's I ordered a set. I will see when they get here, but from what I heard while playing them, they are much more round and balanced than the SD 59's. I am also going to do a preamp tube swap in my Egnater to JJ's and perhaps use a 5751 in the V1 position to smooth things out.
Art

Bob, that is a beauty!! Mine is a Cherry burst. I used to have a 68 Goldtop many years ago. Funny how you let instruments go through the years and then kick yourself as time goes by. I always enjoy playing my 71, and when I hand it down to my daughter, I hope she will understand how much a part of me that guitar has been through the years. To me, no other guitar sounds or plays like it.
Art

Latest posts

Back