The last 4x12 I'll ever buy

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdesalvo

Reaction score
The worst thing you can do when reviewing a piece of gear is to over-inflate the **** thing and fill it with misleading hyperbole. You only end up deceiving people into spending their heard earned dinero for nothing. Understanding that, I submit this review to you.

Fender MH-100ST
This thing is built like a tank- build quality rivals any $1K cab out there. On top of that, it's gorgeous and there are tons of details on it that could've been overlooked, but weren't. This thing comes ready for battle armed with (4) Celestion G12K100s for a total power handling capacity of 400W.

I plugged my TSL-100 into the Fender MH-412 for rehearsal tonight and gave it a good run for the money. Outside of the garage was the ol' 1960a. Now, the TSL is a very bright amp and the 1960a enhanced that to a painful degree.

After turning the standby off, none of us could stop grinning- it almost made me reconsider the TSL as a contender. It almost made me wish I held off on winning that DC10 a bit longer. Almost.

First of all, it seemed much louder at the same settings the amp was on last rehearsal. Secondly, the amp actually had a bigger, fuller sound. On top of this, the clean channel was had clearer harmonic overtones to it than it did before. Finally, it made the **** Rythym channel tolerable. Cranked, it didn't lose it's composure to the degree that it did with the 1960a- I was actually hearing the power tubes compressing and distorting for the first time (without being mushed up by those awful G12T75s.

Where the Marshall was reduced to a pile of quivering, flatulent pudding, the Fender said, "Pass the Bass, please". Where the Marshall served up a sizzling plate of highs, hold the mids, the Fender dished out huge slabs of well balanced beef with beautifully seasoned mids and highs.

Unbelievable. The Marshall cab was totally holding back the TSL and I know it was crushing the potential of the DC-10 I once had. I can't wait until my next DC-10 arrives. This cab should allow its potential to be realized.

Overall I'm left with a very bad taste in my mouth from Marshall in general. The whole 1960/TSL experience was a terrible ride. I am not going ot debadge the MH100 and I believe that this will be the last cab I will buy in a very, very long time. I'm even surprised to say that I have been won over by a straight cab.

Herbie the Rad Dorklift said:
So what cab was it?

You know, I was thinking exactly the same thing !!?? :? :oops: :wink:

I've had Marshall 4x12's in the past with V30's, Greenbacks and G12T75's and they all sound quite different and the volume difference between Greenbacks and V30's is unbelievable !!! The Recto 4x12 is in another class though.

I believe he was talking about Fender Metal Head cab. He brought it up a couple of days ago.

fdesalvo said:
I apologize for posting in the wrong forum. I don't think that warranted the "rolling eyes". You wouldn't do that to someone in person, would you?

Yeah.

Latest posts

Back