The Joy of Running Two Amps at Once

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSC00667.jpg

DSC00418.jpg

DSC00363.jpg

IMG_1526.png

Jeff Pevar, who played with David Crosby, Joe Cocker, Ray Charles and others, used to use two Boogies together. I think one was a MK II C+ but I'm not sure what the other was. Anyway, he had the two foot switches gaffed together so the buttons were close enough that when he stomped on one, he stomped on both. It was low tech, but it did the job. Sounded awesome, too!

he had the two foot switches gaffed together so the buttons were close enough that when he stomped on one, he stomped on both. It was low tech, but it did the job. Sounded awesome, too!

:lol: :lol: :lol: That same thing used to happen to me when I used an ADA footswitch. Didn't work quite the same though.

I'm always amazed at how things were done when there were no effects pedals, midi switchers, etc.

OK guys, this is a boomer:

My mark IV with 4x12, and a Marshall MG15CDR as satellite. Amazing, huh?

(I can't even hear the MG)

EirikBrandal said:
OK guys, this is a boomer:

My mark IV with 4x12, and a Marshall MG15CDR as satellite. Amazing, huh?

(I can't even hear the MG)

LOL

Reminds me of one time I was trying to jam with my bassist friend who didn't have his gear with him. So we rigged up 3 amps for him: 2 little practice guitar amps, and a smallish Fender bass amp. With all three of his amps maxed out, my MKIV was devastating him and the volume was only at about 3 or 4. Was kinda funny :lol:

I've said it before, but, to me, THIS is heaven . . .

• DC-3 rackmount head --> Roland Space Echo RE-20 re-issue --> 4x12 Celestions --> Shure SM57 --> PreSonus BlueTube dual micpre
• Mark IV rackmount head --> 4x12 Celestions --> AudioTechnica AT3035 --> PreSonus BlueTube dual micpre

The Mark IV provides all the "bite," and the DC-3 provides all the "growl." You get unbelieveable tonal control between the two amps' GEQs. IMO, A/B/Y amping any DC-series and any Mark-series amp is incredible. This, all going through a Voodoo Labs 4-way amp selector. Also have a Single-Recto and a 6505 hooked up to the Voodoo switcher, but the DC-3/Mark IV combination is what I use exclusively for leads. I A/B/Y the Recto and the 6505 for "wall of sound" rhythms.

Late reply...
I've been really enjoying this set-up today. Never tried it before, sounds fricken sweet. Slaving the Boog in to the Marshall.
Nice mix between the V30 and the Black Shadow.

My Marsha/Boogie.

IMG_7001Medium.jpg

Phil.

say i wanna use a mark III and a single channel jcm 800 at the same time. how would i be able to switch from dirty being the mark III lead channel and the marshall to just the boogie by itself on the rh channel?

i understand the a/b/y setup, but i want to be able to go from dirty boogie and dirty marshall to clean boogie only with the push of one button

anyone tried the "cheap" method of using the stereo outs on a boss chorus to run two amps?

We're about to start tracking guitars on my band's new album, and I'm going to be splitting signal between a Mark IV and an SLO via my radial switchbone. Bandmate has a JVM so we'll probably split the JVM with the boogie, too. Figure the marshall and the SLO are voiced too much like each other to warrant blending those two.

:twisted:

geenads said:
anyone tried the "cheap" method of using the stereo outs on a boss chorus to run two amps?

It never works properly. Currently I run a Mark I 15" (right) and a Mark IV stack (left) using the stereo outs from an EH Polychorus - it's buzzy as hell, but it's all I've got. I've tried it also with a Boss delay (DD6 I think) and it wasn't that much better.

I've got a Startouch A/B/Y on order at the moment, based on the fact that the reviews all say it's better than the Lehle. I think when you have such sensitive - and often high-gain - preamps that you find in Boogies it's worth 'doing it properly' and investing in a switching unit. I haven't taken delivery of the Startouch yet but I'm expecting good things, and it was only $110/65GBP.

Make sure you're using a high-quality A/B box -- I've got the ToneBone Radial JX2, it works great. It's got a ground loop switch, you flip it & the hum is gone.

My setup is guitar -> A/B box -> Mark IV and Dual Recto.

Mark IV goes into a Sequis Motherload speaker sim; Dual Recto goes into a Palmer PGA-04; both go into a Yamaha 01V mixing board which I use for EQ, compression, effects etc. I find the sound is kind of muddy if you layer the two amps, so instead I pan one hard left & I pan the other hard right.

With this setup I can get an insane tone through headphones at 3am without waking up everyone in my apartment building! :D

I think having two different amps & two different speaker sims also adds more realism than one amp & one speaker sim alone could provide in isolation.

I run 2 Rivera Senona Lites in stereo for acoustic, very cool.

I will be posting a nice Simul Sattelite 100watt 1x12 in the classifieds as soon as I hit 10 posts.

Has anybody tried a configuration using a Studio .22+ as a satellite of a Mark IV? Would that be unsafe for either/both amplifiers?

Is it possible to use tham as a stereo rig with a chorus or delay pedal as a divider?

Sorry for the stupid questions...
Thanks

Latest posts

Back