The Great Debate: 2x12 vs 4x12 vs Stiletto vs Recto cabs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSmitty

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've been searching & reading many posts regarding the above mentioned subject(s). I wanted to share my comparisons with you guys/gals and see what you think...
I've been using a Mark V for about a year now. Prior to that I had a Roadking for 5 yrs. It took a little bit to transition (sound wise) from the King to the V. But I think I've found some sweet tones in the V. Typically I use Ch 1-Fat/90watt. Ch 2-Crunch/45watt/tube rectifier. and Ch 3-IIC+/90watt/Triode. I've been using (2) 2x12 Recto cabs. I use one for rehersal and one at home. Then for gigs, I use both cabs stacked, OR split on each side of stage (depending on the gig). For the most part, I've been pretty happy with my sound. Except with the MkV being tighter and more articulate, that took some getting used to from the Roadking.

Now for the "debate". As you know, we (guitarists) are always in search of that "holy grail" tone. After reading good reviews of the Stiletto cab (and because Petrucci seems to like them, :lol: ) I decided to pick up a used 4x12 Stiletto slant. So, the other day I did an A/B comparison to my 2x12. The Stiletto is definitely tighter and has more mids, just like everyone said. But, I'm not sure the Stiletto is for me...a little too much mids & tightness. My 2x12 seems to have a little more sag/loose feel, which I like.
Today, I went to G.C. for more A/B comparisons. I set up a Mkv just like mine and played through a Recto straight 4x12 and then a Recto 2x12. No big surprise, they sound very similar, with the 4x12 of course being fuller sounding. I was going to compare a Stiletto 4x12 too, but G.C. didn't have any in stock. The look on the guys face was priceless :roll: when I kept asking to try all these cabs. Anyway, the final test was comparing the Recto 4x12 and (2) 2x12 stacked. Once again very similar, but the 2x12's seemed slightly less scooped in the mids and a little more tighter. I'm thinking the (2) 2x12 sound is halfway between the Stiletto and Recto 4x12 cabs...like the best of both worlds. Maybe I should just stick with my 2x12 set up...besides they are easier to carry! :D

Were you comparing the 2x12 to the slant or straight 4x12?

I find the Recto 2x12 is a little more scooped than the slant Recto 4x12, which is a little more aggressive in the midrange.

Beyond that, they sound remarkably similar.

The 2x12 was being compared to a Recto 4x12 straight cab.

I did some more A/B-ing at home with the Stiletto and now both of my 2x12's. And made an interesting discovery... I think the MkIV mode (pentode) sounds better with the Stiletto 4x12? It kinda makes sense now, because I didn't really like mkIV mode with my Recto 2x12s. It sounded too mid scooped. I think for that reason I started using IIc+ mode instead. The comparison(s) continue....

That's cool to hear. Based on people's descriptions I've always suspected that the straight 4x12 was more scooped than the slant 4x12, but I've never been able to compare the two.

Latest posts

Back