The FX loop and solo feature.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talus

Reaction score
I'm using a Roadster right now, and I've been running my effects through the front (Delay, Overdrive and Compression). So I've had the effects loop turned to hard bypass.

However I'm finding that on channels 1 and 2 when I turn on my Overdrive or compression that even though their volumes are maxed, I get either a drop in volume or the exact same volume. I was planning to use these pedals mostly as a boost for solos, but it appears that's just not going to work.

So, I've read that if you're not using the Loop, that it should be turned off. Unfortunately this also disables the solo function which I'm beginning to think I'll need to be heard clearly above the rest of the band. Is there any actual reason I should have the loop off, or does it really matter?

Also with the loop turned on, does it matter how the volumes are set? Like channel volumes cranked with the master volume lower or vise versa? Does it make any difference as to how hard the tubes are being driven?

Talus said:
I'm using a Roadster right now, and I've been running my effects through the front (Delay, Overdrive and Compression). So I've had the effects loop turned to hard bypass.

However I'm finding that on channels 1 and 2 when I turn on my Overdrive or compression that even though their volumes are maxed, I get either a drop in volume or the exact same volume. I was planning to use these pedals mostly as a boost for solos, but it appears that's just not going to work.

So, I've read that if you're not using the Loop, that it should be turned off. Unfortunately this also disables the solo function which I'm beginning to think I'll need to be heard clearly above the rest of the band. Is there any actual reason I should have the loop off, or does it really matter?

Also with the loop turned on, does it matter how the volumes are set? Like channel volumes cranked with the master volume lower or vise versa? Does it make any difference as to how hard the tubes are being driven?

Are you running fairly high gain levels on channels 1 and 2? If so, I think what is happening is that you've run out of headroom so your compression and boost pedals are simply adding more overdrive, but no increase in volume.

Bypassing the loop takes it completely out of the signal path, which normally makes sense if you're not using it in order simplify the path. But I would bet that having it on will probably not degrade your tone appreciably. (You can easily determine this for yourself by critically listening to your amp and comparing its tone with the loop on and off.) Since you need the volume boost that the loop provides (via the solo feature), I'd just turn it on and problem solved.

As for the volume level settings, I suggest setting the channel gains to the desired overdrive level, then setting the channel masters relatively high (around noon) to get a strong signal level without adding additional distortion in the driver section. Obviously you also want to set the channel masters so that the channels have similar loudness relative to each other. Then set the final volume and solo to your desired listening listening level.

D7

dumeril7 said:
Are you running fairly high gain levels on channels 1 and 2? If so, I think what is happening is that you've run out of headroom so your compression and boost pedals are simply adding more overdrive, but no increase in volume.

Actually not at all. I've got channel 1 set to about 9:30 on Tweed Mode, channel 2 is about 11:30 on Brit.

Channel 3 is on Raw, gain set to about 11 and there is a fairly substantial volume increase from both pedals there.

Thanks for your help.

Talus said:
Actually not at all. I've got channel 1 set to about 9:30 on Tweed Mode, channel 2 is about 11:30 on Brit.

Channel 3 is on Raw, gain set to about 11 and there is a fairly substantial volume increase from both pedals there.

Thanks for your help.

Interesting. I have found that boost pedals don't work as well on high-gain amps in general, so maybe thats it. In any case, I think your idea of using the solo feature is a good one.

D7

Latest posts

Back