The First Amp You Ever Played On A Live Gig?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peavey VTM120 w/Marshall 4X12, Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal Pedal, GE-7 EQ (mid-scooped of course) Ibanez Flanger, Ibanez ANALOG Delay.

Man the 80's were great!

Same Les Paul I still own today.

Dom

I'm afraid it was a little 1-10 Peavy Backstage amp with an Ibanez Overdrive pedal to disguise my brutal playing back in 1979. We played 2 Ramones songs at a college talent show (Blitzkrieg Bop & Go Mental). I discovered what a great way this was to get chicks and have been in a band ever since.

A big muff into a DOD Tec 4 preamp processor into a Gorilla 1x12 solid state amp. I was playing a Harmony Strat copy. It was at an outdoor fair in a small town near where I live and I used one of the port-a-potties. It was against a wall. The rest of the guys in the band picked it up while I was in it and turned it around so the door was against the wall and I couldn't get out

I was 14 and some friends were playing a teenage dance party. They heard I could play and asked if I could play bass. I said yes even though I had no idea. The drummer's parents had bought a lot of equipment at this one music store and the dad taught music at the university. So they demoed a new Guild Thunderbass head and matching 2-15" cab and a hollow body Framus bass with flat wound strings. They showed me my feeble bass parts just before the party started and some of them again on the spot. I got a blister on my right thumb! The rig sounded great, would love to have one now.

First Amp:
Roland Cube 20 (my uncle is a jazzer) with a EH Little Big Muff Pi. (I don't care what anyone says those EH effects are horrible noise machines.)

First Amp @ Gig:
Randall 2x12 with a Tube Works II and an Alesis Quadraverb with a stereo out to a Boss 2x5 (it did the pong in the ping pong echo.)

Later I pared it all down to a Marshall JTM30 with a Cry Baby - although sometimes I wish I had a flanger.

First gig was in highschool about 20 years ago.
I used a folk guitar with a snap on pickup (if that makes sense) and a Roland DAC-15.
I recently replaced the guitar, but the DAC-15 is still like new.

summerfest in my town, 4 or so years ago.

Hamer SFX-2
Marshall MG250DFX.

first gig w/ my first band, it was fun!

hahahaha!...

Gorilla GG-20... came with a cheap-*** Encore strat copy for christmas when I was 8 years old, played my first gig with that gear at 15 year old at a school concert ... personally I think it should have been called a chimp, but I guess that don't sell as many amps eh?

gg20_lg.jpg

A sock hop at our junior high. We were a hit. 8)

Seriously though, I'm not sure I even remember the name of the amp. Silvertone I think, or something like that. It was 1969 and that amp was passed down to me from my older brother.

It was part of a package deal from Sears that included the guitar and amp. My Dad bought it for him as a birthday gift. He wasn't really interested and I couldn't keep my hands off of it.

We knew four or five songs. Louie, Louie for sure. I had a fuzztone too. We thought we were big time.

I didn't have an acoustic for the high school talent show, so I used my god awful Bentley Series 10 (still have it, looks like a freaked out Explorer) and played through my Gorilla GG20 (still have that as well). Sounded like total crap because the school had no real PA so I had to crank the amp to 11. ;D Nothing worse than playing a classical guitar bit with an electric with humbuckers and an underpowered amp.

My first paying gig I played a Peavey 5150 half stack. Sounded nice, but my back didn't like it. ;D

Ouch! It hurts to think that far back!

I'm pretty sure it was a Sound City 120 half stack in 1972-73 / 9th grade. Smoke On The Water was so hot and we knew so few songs we played it twice.

I did the best I could with what I had-a MArshall 12 watter-came out of it into a big *** Peavey PA-a killer Gibson Flying V turned upside down(a V90, I believe...i pickup with ebony board-killer axe..killer neck..they should still make them!) ran thru a Boss Metal pedal and crybaby-playing Hank JR. tunes(don't think I didn't sneak in some diminished licks in amongst the redneckedness!!) -all in the Brass Monkey in Livingston,Al-switchblades NOT optional...REQUIRED!! :!:

ooh, how embarrassing! it was supposed to be with my carvin sx100 but it died the day of the gig so i used a friends crappy (but loud) solid state peavey with a (then, just released) boss metal zone pedal in front of it. wheeee!

Some sort of Ampeg solid state 2x12 combo. It sounded decent from what I can remember. The other guitarist for my band was letting me use it because I had an old Earth head, 4x10 cab, and a DOD Grunge pedal that sounded like ***.

That was at least ten years ago though. How things have changed.

ahhhh memories...
First gigged guitar rig
1989 - ADA MP1 with a MosValve Power amp and a Crate 2x12.
Didn't start playing guitar till 88.

Played bass full time from 74 till 85.
First gigged bass rig would've been Ampeg V4 through a home built
2x15 with JBL's.

The first amp i ever gigged with was in 1982 H.S.Gong Show. I had a 77 Fender Twin I bought new($400). We played Heartbreaker (RStones) and Johnny b goode. That amp had a huge voice in that auditorium. Oh yeah we won too $100. It was nice seeing the whole school on there feet and the teachers soo very teed-off. great memory...

BobSwanson said:
ADA MP1 with a MosValve Power amp

That't not a bad setup there. In fact, the guitar player that I jammed with back in the day, had the same setup. Sounded good.

My humble beginnigns started on Dec. 2 1989. (A gig I wish I could forget). I used a crate G-600 stack, my Ovation hardbody electric with EMG's, Boss turbo overdrive, and phaser pedals. Not much to it. The G-600 was probably the biggest POS I ever spent money on. It sounded ok, but was NOT cut out to be gigging.

Back