the EMG 18v mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MF

Reaction score
I finally got around to doing this yesterday but i don't think i'm entirely impressed with the results, though to be fair i haven't had the opportunity to run it through my main rig yet. It definitely made a noticeable difference but it really did rob the pickups of their EMG-ness. I like the dynamic it created, but i also like the classic EMG sound and i'm not comfortable with permanently sacrificing that.

So, I think i may reverse the mod and just build a harness so i can switch back and forth relatively quickly on the fly and have both sounds at my fingertips should i feel like experimenting with 18v sound.

emg3.gif

I'm tempted to try the alternative to that. Here's a wiring diagram

ninjaskg0.gif

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't really like the 18 volt mod. I know how much of a pain it is to hook up the pickups and batteries in tiny little guitar cavities. I hooked mine EMG's up with series 9volts to make an 18volt mod and I loved it. It made the guitar sound HUGE, really brought out more clarity and response on my guitars (I did the mod on 2 of them). I did that and now use a Maxon OD808 as a boost (overdrive set to "0") and my amps sound massive. But, I play in a metal band, so I need that razor sharp attack and massive chug. If I didn't play that style of music, I probably wouldn't have done the 18v modification. But, my cleans sound amazing as well, very punchy and focused. Add a little delay and chorus and it sounds like a JC120, add the maxon and blues riffs can run all day haha

-AJH

MesaENGR412 said:
I'm sorry to hear that you didn't really like the 18 volt mod. I know how much of a pain it is to hook up the pickups and batteries in tiny little guitar cavities. I hooked mine EMG's up with series 9volts to make an 18volt mod and I loved it. It made the guitar sound HUGE, really brought out more clarity and response on my guitars (I did the mod on 2 of them). I did that and now use a Maxon OD808 as a boost (overdrive set to "0") and my amps sound massive. But, I play in a metal band, so I need that razor sharp attack and massive chug. If I didn't play that style of music, I probably wouldn't have done the 18v modification. But, my cleans sound amazing as well, very punchy and focused. Add a little delay and chorus and it sounds like a JC120, add the maxon and blues riffs can run all day haha

-AJH
I agree 100% I just did the mod to my two guitars today (ESP Custom Explorer & Les Paul Custom) sounds amazing, glad I did, hooked it up in series too as you've described....I also play Metal by the way.

MesaENGR412 said:

-AJH

Well i wouldn't say i disliked it, it's just not what i was expecting and i felt it robbed the EMG's of their signature sound. I originally installed them so i could get the get the thunderous chugga-chugga sound that we all know and love. It's good, i just don't know if it's what i want.

But, I STILL haven't had the opportunity to run it through my main rig to see how i really feel about it, so maybe i'll change my tune after practice this week.

alright i take it back. it sounded pretty badass paired with the dual rec last night. I don't know why it sounded so different through my home rig. For now, i will be keeping the mod 8) . The chug was still there but with a sizeable portion of the sterilty removed.

VERY high output though. I had to work to keep my feedback in check!

Rock on man! Glad to hear that you liked it. Yeah, it can get a little squelchy with the gain really high. I backed my gain down to around 12:30 on the Mesa and about 12 o'clock on the Krank to keep the feedback in check. But, soon, I'm going to add a ISP Decimator in the pedal line to eliminate it all the way. I still boost with an OD808, but with zero overdrive. It makes for one heck of a heavy sound!

-AJH

the way in which your describing this mod sounds very similar to my experience with the pa-2. i will now use that little gem in any emg equipped guitar from now on. plus it works with passives (not that i`ve tried it) 30 bucks and some soldering thats it. the cool thing is you can get it as a mini switch or switchless.

So what exactly does this mod do?
Does it give a clearer sound, or just a bigger sound?
I am not playing metal right now, have and 81/60 combo in my ec-1000.
I am playing more pop punk/alternative through my dual rec head.

thanks

I did this mod to my EC-1000 tonight. Sounds amazing. I only got to fool around with it for about half and hour, but i can see BIG things coming in the distance.

PineappleBrains said:
I did this mod to my EC-1000 tonight. Sounds amazing. I only got to fool around with it for about half and hour, but i can see BIG things coming in the distance.

Haha Rock on man!

-AJH

Latest posts

Back