The Electra Dyne having better cleans than the Lonestar?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiteboarder

Reaction score
So, I just heard someone say the new Electra Dyne has better cleans than the Lonestar. Here's the thread:

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47371&p=549101#p549101

I know it's a matter of opinion, so I will just have to try one out.

I've read this too, or that the cleans are "based on" the Lonestar's... but I'm skeptical about it being "better". Upstairs in the Modern Era forum, phyrexia recorded a nice clip that's worth checking out. It sounds great, and I want one more than I care to admit. It's definitely an intriguing amp especially for us not-so-into-superhigh-gain folks... but to my ears, so far I can't figure how it's "better" than the LSC.

Should be fun to find out, though... :)

Well, I have to opt out of the "not-so-into-superhigh-gain folks" club. I do like high-gain a lot. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the finer qualities of a great clean sounding amp. Obvious, I own a Lonestar. But... I share my time playing punk as much as bluegrass! ;)

-D

Ah yes, better way to put it -- I'll rephrase more inclusively: those of us who appreciate the finer qualities of low and mid gain. ;)

Well, it's Mesa stuff so it's a great amp for sure...other than that - as you said - it's just a matter of ears.
I've personally chosen Lonestar because I like classic clean and crunch tones, but I also love powerful distortion for genres like rock, alt. rock, grunge (or whatever you wanna call that kind of sound) and other "hi-gain-but-not-metal" (LOL :-D) stuff. I like this sort of hybrid character cause it perfectly fits my needs and tastes.

If Lonestar is an attempt to make a more "classic" amp without losing that MESA "thing", as far as I can see Electra Dyne seems like a step forward in that direction: it's all up to our ears depending on what we're looking for...I think that words like "better" or "worse" cannot be applied to such a personal and subjective process (imho).

Anyway, it's an interesting amp...it deserves a try, no doubt :wink:

djw said:
I've read this too, or that the cleans are "based on" the Lonestar's... but I'm skeptical about it being "better". Upstairs in the Modern Era forum, phyrexia recorded a nice clip that's worth checking out. It sounds great, and I want one more than I care to admit. It's definitely an intriguing amp especially for us not-so-into-superhigh-gain folks... but to my ears, so far I can't figure how it's "better" than the LSC.

Should be fun to find out, though... :)
I have to say after playing both back to back i like the electra-dyne alot better than the lonestar.

DudewithFr0 said:
I have to say after playing both back to back i like the electra-dyne alot better than the lonestar.
So... what do you like better about it?

djw said:
DudewithFr0 said:
So... what do you like better about it?
I personally liked the drive better than the lonestar and the cleans were just as good if not better. But that just my opinion. Both are great amps i just felt that the electra-dyne was more "me".

I think its cool that Mesa had enough success with the Lonestar to continue further into the low gain, uber-clean tones area. I dig my LSC, and hoped it was the beginning of new territory for Mesa. Good for them, good for us.

If I didn't know that it was an Electra Dyne clip, I probably would have thought it was a Lonestar to be honest. Sounds good to me.

Has anyone had a chance to fiddle around with an Electra Dyne yet?

I did yesterday. I was able to get into the iso room at my local GC with a 6L6-loaded Electra Dyne 1x12 combo and a Roadworn Strat for about half an hour, and was able to give it a good workout.

Bottom line: I walked out wishing I was carrying one of these puppies. Dang, it sounds gooooood. The crunch on this amp is drop-dead gorgeous and does everything we like about the LS -- touch-sensitive as all hell, terrific dynamics -- but punchier and with scads of extra nastiness and the classic British grind that the LS just does not do. I was hoping the Stiletto would be like this (I hear it's quite different, however... still haven't tried one of those yet either), but it's even better than I'd hoped. Great balance between the modes, and all of them sound fantastic. Very usable. Reverb is just as good as the LS.

So the drive is amazing, and probably by most subjective standards "better" than the LS. It's my favorite Mesa dirt to date. BUT... again, that's subjective and it's really apples and oranges. They're very different. The LS does a creamier, more compressed gain (think Santana), whereas the ED is grittier and more defined harmonics. Personally, I have to give the ED the nod there.

The clean is also fantastic, BUT... I like my LSC's cleans better. It's a visceral thing, more Fendery (no surprise) whereas the ED again has the British thing, more like a Vox or a Plexi (even with 6L6s, interestingly). They're both sweet and addictive cleans, but I like the smooth clarity and chime of the LS a bit more. If I were doing more rock these days, the ED would be the obvious choice. For R&B (which is what I mostly do now) the LSC is still a better choice, in my book. Even that ED demo from Mesa doesn't really capture what I like about the LS's take on a good juicy clean for that kind of music.

But wow. I wish economic things were better for me, because I'd be looking at ways to make an acquisition happen if I were in better shape right now.

Anyway, that's my report.

I am going to resurrect this thread as I got a chance to try out an Electradyne today. Wow! What a great amp. The cleans are very LS-y but the drive is a lot more 'open-sounding' even though there is more gain on top. I AB'ed it with a LSS that was there and I think I liked the ED more. While the controls on the ED are limited, it was really hard to get a bad sound out of it. And this was with a cheapo Ibanez hollowbody from the store. I will have to take my Les Paul back to the store and put the ED through a second round. I think I know what my next amp is gonna be!

Ive put the LS and ED back to back in an unrushed comparison test.
Im keeping my LS. Just suits me better.

But I will probably get the ED later on as well. :wink:

Latest posts

Back