The case against the Mark IV vs. LSS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountain Fever

Reaction score
As a result of my total happiness with my new LSS, I am considering getting a second Mesa amp...most likely a combo. I also have a Fender VibroKing and the second 2X12 sealed enclosure extension cab.

Over the weekend I had a chace to do an in-store demo of several amps including the Mark IV, Stiletto Ace Combo, and LSC. In my opinion the Mark IV was head and shoulders above the others.

I'd love to know if there is something that those of you with the Mark IV have learned that would point you in a different direction if you had it to do over again.

Most of what I play is classic rock and some country rock. Guitars include Fender AmDeluxe Strat, Clapton Strat, Am Tele, Gibson LP Custom, and ES-369 which has HB's with a coil tap.

Lastly...I am not a real cane grill fan. Other than black/black, does anyone have a finish combo that looks unique?

Thanks for the help!

Mountain Fever said:
As a result of my total happiness with my new LSS, I am considering getting a second Mesa amp...most likely a combo. I also have a Fender VibroKing and the second 2X12 sealed enclosure extension cab.

Over the weekend I had a chace to do an in-store demo of several amps including the Mark IV, Stiletto Ace Combo, and LSC. In my opinion the Mark IV was head and shoulders above the others.

I'd love to know if there is something that those of you with the Mark IV have learned that would point you in a different direction if you had it to do over again.

Most of what I play is classic rock and some country rock. Guitars include Fender AmDeluxe Strat, Clapton Strat, Am Tele, Gibson LP Custom, and ES-369 which has HB's with a coil tap.

Lastly...I am not a real cane grill fan. Other than black/black, does anyone have a finish combo that looks unique?

Thanks for the help!
The Lone Star amp was born from the Mark series amps so i can see you digging that amp . The Stiletto is absolutely a far cry from those amps as it was designed to be . Check out the gallery on the mesa site and you might find some cosmetic ideas for your mark amp

Mountain Fever said:
In my opinion the Mark IV was head and shoulders above the others.

I find nothing to rebut...

I can only support this statement.

Mountain Fever said:
In my opinion the Mark IV was head and shoulders above the others. I'd love to know if there is something that those of you with the Mark IV have learned that would point you in a different direction if you had it to do over again.
Absolutely not! I can't even remember all the amps I've had in the last 36 years of playing but the one I have no intention of getting rid of is my Mark IV head & two Thiele cabs.

I don't think I'll ever sell mine... I've said that only about one other piece of gear in my lineup and I still own that as well.. I've gone through probably 20+ amplifiers and the Mark IV is never leaving.

Platypus said:
I don't think I'll ever sell mine... I've said that only about one other piece of gear in my lineup and I still own that as well.. I've gone through probably 20+ amplifiers and the Mark IV is never leaving.

What's the lucky other one? :p

visualrocker69 said:
Platypus said:

It's actually a guitar, my modified PRS custom 22

Platypus said:
visualrocker69 said:
Platypus said:

aHA! Custom 22's definately on my buylist for the next 5 years. But that list is getting too long :(

What's the modification?

visualrocker69 said:
Platypus said:
visualrocker69 said:

aHA! Custom 22's definately on my buylist for the next 5 years. But that list is getting too long :(

What's the modification?

I replaced the bridge pickup with a hotter uncovered one (tremonti treble), replaced the knobs, shimmed the nut and filed it for '10' strings so I could use 10s... I kept getting weird intonation problems before I did that.

I have recently heard that the newer production Mark IV lead channel is "different" from the older ones. "More recto-ish" somebody said.

Is this true?

btw, on the Petrucci site a guy posted a clip of a killer Mark IV lead tone. His secret?

Lead gain 8 pulled
Lead Treble 8
lead Bass 0
Lead mids 6
Lead drive 6
Lead presence 0

Triode, Simulclass, Harmonics.

Up the volume and your good to go!

OK, I need to be educated. Is the Revision B referring to the standard Mark IV made after a certain date (including today's version)?

Or does Revision B refer to a mod of some kind?

The smooth Mark IIC+ lead is EXACTLY what I'd like to have on a Mark IV.

And my original question was is that what you get with today's Mark IV?

Thanks.

Yes, Mark IVB's are the current version. Actually I don't know why there's no information on the manual about this stuff. Mesa claims that the changes in lead voicing are so subtle that it can be pretty much overlooked for us players.

The original version isn't something extremely rare or sought after, either. Condition, shipping, seller rating, and all other variables being constant, Mark IVA's generally sell for less than the current model.

I wouldn't say A's typically sell for less because they aren't the current model. I would say it is because of depreciation and because they aren't as easily passed off as recent. That having been said I have seen some A's sell for more than B's. I think it all has to do with the amp, the seller, and the buying audience.

Thanks! Good to know.

Mark IV sounds perfect for me.

Only one question remains ...

How does tone hold up at bedroom/apartment levels?

I have my eye on a Masotti which is designed to deliver at all master volume levels. Other amps out there use a power scaling approach (although can't hold a candle to the Mark IV interms of tone IMO).

Degredation in tone at low volumes would be a case against the Mark IV in my case.

Platypus said:
The MarkIV sounds great at cranked channel levels and lower output volume settings.. I typically set my channel masters to around 4 or 5 and run my output at around 2.. experiment around, it sounds good at any volume to be honest. Utilize the Class A mode and the Tweed Power setting to further take advantage of this.

Well that's just what I've been told. I'll let you know myself in a few days after the Mark IV arrives :)

I imagine the ONLY "degredation in tone" I'll get will be due to my inexperience + my guitar which has sh!tty EMG HZ's :x

Goddamn, I really need a new guitar. NOW.

*sigh* As soon as I get a driver's license, I can start the whole trying things out process...

I think Mesa just added an "antik sandalwood" leather covering this year. That would look great with maybe the gold speaker grille. Very classy with an organic feel.

123thefirst said:
I think Mesa just added an "antik sandalwood" leather covering this year. That would look great with maybe the gold speaker grille. Very classy with an organic feel.

They added ostrich hide as well . I saw some of this at NAMM . Looked very cool .

Latest posts

Back