THE BEST HIGH GAIN LEAD PEDAL/OD for a mesa mark IV (must be

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are great replies! I'm primarily looking for a lead voice to use with rhythm 1 not necessarily an od for channel 2 or lead. Anyone know about:
MI Audio crunch box or tube zone
HBE Big D
IndyGuitarist Pinnacle 2
Emma RezzaFratzizz (or something)

anyone? thanks!

Go with the BB Preamp, you won't be sorry. I like that it has a bass control to add bottom on R2.

If you are looking for medium to high gain tones on the clean channel, check these out: MI Audio Crunch Box, Kaden Effects Brown Creeper, Fulltone OCD. I also use the much maligned Fulltone Distortion Pro (my primary pedal for leads), but many people seem to dislike it, so you may want to pass up that one unless you can try one before you buy.

The H.B.E. Big D was nice, but I found only one of the many settings to really be of use. The one sound I did like was inferior to both the Crunch Box and Brown Creeper. I like the Fulltone OCD by itself, but usually boost it with my Fulldrive 2 to add tightness and mids. Otherwise the OCD sounds a little too scooped live, and the bass can be overwhelming at times.

For low to medium gain tones, check out the Fulldrive 2 Mosfet (love mine, its like a swiss army knife for tone), or the MI Audio Blues Pro. The OCD can do lower gain tones as well, but I think it excels as a medium gain device or as a booster.

Okay... now I really have GAS! Check out the new Xotic AC+ and now the Xotic BB+

ToneAddictJon said:
Another vote for the BB Preamp, absolutely amazing!!

I just ordered the BB Preamp yesterday from Pedals Plus Effects Warehouse; he said he had a fresh shipment in-stock. Approx $185 and free shipping.

It was a toss-up between the OCD, AnalogMan TS9 and the BB Preamp. Assuming the BB is as transparent as everyone says, it should be fine for the minor boost I want on my Stiletto Ace head, though frankly the more I play the Ace straight up and learn the different settings the less this amp needs anything up front. In Tight Gain and Fluid modes the sustain, harmonic undertones and ability to get controlled feedback even at super low volume is extremely impressive.

Back