Temperature + Amps +Car

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmt

Reaction score
Is it safe to leave my amps in my car over night? Its about 60 during the day and 50 at night. I have to lug my stuff around to the studio every week and its a pain in the *** to drag my Boogie, Ampeg, rack, and pedalboard up and down the stairs.

If you leave it in the car overnight, make sure to give your tubes a few more minutes to warm up when you turn it on. I've left both mine in the car overnight, when I got home at 3 or 4am after playing a few hours and drinking a few more hours, the last thing you want to do is lift anything. It's never hurt mine, but I don't know if it's the wise thing to do.

I think the more important thing is to let the amp cool before rough handling the amp. Tubes can damage easier when they are hot. If you can leave your amp on standby during tear down and make it the last thing you move.

I don't see any problems with leaving your amp in the car overnight. 50 is not that cold anyway so you'll be fine.

Greg

disassembled said:
I think the more important thing is to let the amp cool before rough handling the amp.

That's good advice.

Remember that the same kind of components that are in amps are (or were) in aircraft, tanks, ships...they'll be fine at any temperature your car can handle.

The only caveat is, I wouldn't leave speakers in a closed car cabin for long times in the hot summer. The speaker paper can dry out, a friend of mine left his Super Reverb in his car in the sun for a couple days in the summer and the paper disintegrated.

disassembled said:
If you can leave your amp on standby during tear down and make it the last thing you move.

I agree, but I would turn the amp off so the tubes cool down before the move.

:wink:

Well I was saying that to the let the tubes cool slowly and not shock them into cooling. Standby doesn't heat the tubes nearly as much compared to using them loudly. If you have a fan installed the tubes will be cooled to the touch very quickly.

Greg

Of course leaving your stuff in the car leaves it exposed to possible theft as well. Might make the pain of lifting the stuff seem pretty bearable.

Never in 40 years of playing and tinkering with amps have I seen a tube damaged because the amp was moved while the tubes were still hot.Its a myth,just dont drop your amp and it'll be okay.Played many gigs in clubs that had three bands lined up behind each other,if you didnt move your amp for the next band to get on because you wanted to wait for it to cool it would be moved for you.

So leaving my equipment in my car isnt going to kill it? I usually keep a cover on it so its cooler in there anyway, and its pretty humid where I live anyway... I'm like 8 miles from the beach.

A lot of people don't know that the tube designs we use today were also used in Battle Ships, Submarines, Bombers and just about every piece of radar/communications equipment in World War 2, Korea, and Space exploration, so as far as care and handling goes, just use common sense. It is just a guitar amp. As long as you don't freeze it for hours, then take it into a 100 degree night club and start wailing, you will be fine.

tubeydude said:
Of course leaving your stuff in the car leaves it exposed to possible theft as well. Might make the pain of lifting the stuff seem pretty bearable.

I was also thinking it would depend entirely on the neighborhood you park in.

Doesn't Adam Jones of Tool keep his Marshall Super Bass in his refrigerator? I'm not sure whether he takes the tubes out or not, but it still works and sounds great.

Kiss My Axe said:
Doesn't Adam Jones of Tool keep his Marshall Super Bass in his refrigerator? I'm not sure whether he takes the tubes out or not, but it still works and sounds great.

He must be smokin' some good ****!

Where exactly did you get that idea? Another stupid rumor about Adam Jones. I heard he poops in his tubes to get his tone. Thats his REAL secret. And he uses Strings from a violin. And his guitar is made out of particle board made from compressed deady baby ashes. Thats why its so evil sounding.

[...]

Latest posts

Back