Tell me about the DC-3 combo...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrik

Reaction score
I have the chance to get one, but I'm not sure what its like.

How well does it do high gain saturated leads, like Vai, Satriani, Gilbert, etc, and also can it handle heavier rhythms? Ie Megadeth, Metallica, etc.

Thanks!

Well, I could try. I have only had mine since last autumn, but I am after at least the heavier rythm sounds like you, and it covers it fairly well, especially if you put an equalizer in the loop, but I think you'll have to dial some time to get the Marshall bite if that's what you're after. Anyway, I think this amp is great for its versatility, and that allows for some pretty heavy sounds. I get great Kill 'em all-sounds and early Slayer sound out of it, by the way, without the use of any pedals. Not sure if I have nailed Mustaine's RiP sound, although I'm sure I will get close at some stage :) As many people has said before me, you'll need a portion of patience to dial in the right sound on these beasts. On the other hand, I discover "unintented" settings that sound great all the time. Often this leads to me forgetting about chasing some specific sound.

I don't know if this answers your questions, but this is my eperience after playing with it for some months. Please bear in mind that I have not a lot of experience, and that you should probably try one before you buy, to make sure. The only problem with that, maybe, is that it might be hard to dial in the right sounds just while testing first time...

How much is it?

Lars Erik

I have a DC-3, and have had it for years. These are really great little amps. As the previous post indicated, they are extremely versatile. The amp in stock condition will probably not give you the extreme heavy sound you are looking for, but there are ways to achieve that sound.

Of course, you should definitely try before you buy, but if you decide you like the basic tone and feel of the amp, after you've played it for a while, you can do a complete re-tube. The BEST advice I can give you is to go here https://ssl.eurotubes.com/index.htm

Bob, who owns and runs this company, will hand select the tubes you need to get exactly that sound. He even advertises a high gain re-tube set for the Petrucci/Satriani sound specifically for the DC-3.

The amp is pretty basic. It's a straightforward 2 channel amp. The clean channel can go from a very reasonable tight clean sound all the way through a fairly heavy break-up. It can do this because it has a separate gain pot for this channel, and the mid-pot also acts as a gain stage above the middle settings.

The overdrive channel is voiced very nicely, and will definitely get you into high gain territory no problem if you are using humbuckers. It even does a great job with single coils.

The real sweetness of the amp, however, is the graphic eq. With this you can really dial in a great sound. I use it to boost the lead, as do a lot of the guys on here who have this amp.

It runs extremely hot, and if you are playing with any regularity, you'll be burning through your tubes every 12 months or so. (Your mileage may vary, of course).

The amp does tend to suffer from a small amp sound in larger rooms, so your options with that are to throw a mic on it, or run extension cabs. I have run it through 2x12's and standard quad cabs, and in both instances the amp becomes a whole different animal. It sounds HUGE if you run it trough a boogie quad, and does very nicely also through older Marshall quads (with v-30s).

If you do get a chance to try it out, just plug in, run it in the drive channel, engage the eq and dial in a scooped V, and run your gain at 8-10. Put he tome controls at 5, and do maybe a 2 or 3 on the presence. THat will give you a really decent idea of what the amp is capable of doing. You will be amazed how loud it will go.

All in all, I love mine, and I would highly recommend the amp. Hope this helps.

Yes, the amp will get those tones. Would, as mentioned above, immediately spring for a set of JJ's from Eurotubes with the higher gain (Satriani/Petrucci) specs.

I'm shocked at the versatility of this amp. Clean can cover Brent Mason-esque Nashville cleans, Paisley light-grit Nashville cleans, to nice smooth blues clip tones. Drive channel from light gain mid-hump Marshally/Mesa british rock crunch tones (think Black Crows) to insane dropped-tuned 7-string scooped nu-metal tones to singing fusion lead tones to Satriani/Petrucci gain lead tones.

Plus if you have pedals, you have all kinds of tones in one amp:
Clean channel plus different drives for a wide variety of tones
Drive channel without and with different drives for all kinds of colors.

Sounds good quiet, sounds good loud...but can't comment on any volumes over 2.5 to date - it's a REALLY loud amp, but sounds good for church level playing too! Lots packed into a nice portable amp!

Here's a late reply...I can't resist talking about the DC3 head..

I plugged mine into a MK series 1/2back 412 and wow...Tons of bottom end and tight saturation! This is a sweeeet setup..

It is a great amp. I don't really look for other people's tones, so I'm never unsatisfied. I use 4 Strats, a Warmoth Soloist and a PRS through mine with great results. I usually don't even change the knobs between guitars, maybe the volumes.

A lot of a person's tone is in their hands, or as Clapton says, "Their trousers."

All that being said, I can definitely get Rust In Piece tone with humbuckers.

If you don't like it, you can always get your money back. These sell quickly on Ebay.

Latest posts

Back