Telefunkens in a Blue Angel!!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I went to my dad's house yesterday. The kids hadn't seen him in a while and he's a pretty cool guy.
He had these 2 boxes that he got for free at a yard sale. He has been trying to remember to give them to me for months.

Box #1 had a Dynakit 70 watt stereo power amp loaded with MULLARD 12AX7's & EL-34's! Plus, the thing looks like it will work if I clean all the gunk out.

Then:
Box #2 had an old solid state console stereo preamp in it that I gave to my son. He's almost 5 and an evil genius when it comes to taking things apart!
It also had a Dynakit stereo preamp that I really didn't give much thought until my son pulled the top off of it.
Inside were 4 Telefunkin 12AX7's!

I took them out and put them in slots 2 through 4 of a Blue Angel.
Holy fucking tone Batman!!!!! These tubes are amazing! Very sweet and lots of presence and harmonics!
Hope they last for a while, because there is no way I am springing for the cost of NOS!

Hey Bobby,

I did put all 4 in. V2, V3, V4, & V5
I left the JJ 12AX7 in V1 because I was planning on experimenting with a 12AY7 there.
I may end up using a 12AT7 in V5 (Phase Inverter) and a Telefunken in V1.
Just have to see which setup is sweeter!
It sure is louder with the Telefunkens in it than with the mixture of JJ, Sovtek LPS, & original Mesa preamp tubes!

Not sure what year the preamp was from, but from what I read, the Version I's of the preamp were originally released in 1960. It was a Version I, so it must have been somwhere before 1965!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ok, so I ended up with:
Telefunkens in V1, 2, 3, & 4.
JJ 12AT7 in V5.

It is really expressive and chimey! Like an amp with the word 'Blue' in it's name should be!

It still has a certain amount of hiss no matter what tubes I use though! I might call Mesa on Monday about that!

Dude those old Dynaco peices are an awsome find and pretty valuable with the Mullards and tele's. I have a ST70 and PAS3 preamp hooked to my JBL speakers and is the best sounding stereo in the house. The PAS phono preamp is a kick *** interface for converting your old vinyl to digital. Do yourself a favor before you trash those peices and run a fleabay and google search on "Dynaco" and you'll be smiling when you find out what they are worth in their own right. Resist the urge to convert those great vintage tube hi-fi finds.

Well ****! My son has already disassembled the preamp!
I gave him the solid state one for a project and he mis-understood me!

Oh well....I did hide the power amp with the intention of refurbishing it though!

So, would you keep the Mullards in the power amp or use JJ's and put the Mullards in your Heartbreaker?????? :lol:

LOL!! See if he learned anything and have him put it back together. My PAS-3 has the Dyna labeled tele's and my conclusion was they did more justice in the PAS than in a guitar amp. You can easily find the schematics and building instructions for the tube Dynaco stuff on fleabay. Some were factory wired but most were kit built. Your ST-70 with the Mullards could bring you 7-800 buckaroos if it is in "undefiled" state. I've seen the PAS-3 with original tele's and "black cats" bring over 400. It is common practice to replace the Cap can and selenium bias rectifier in the ST-70, and there are even a few driver board upgrades available for it. Having a a good Dyna or Mac tube stereo is a wonderful thing, like with guitar amps; nothing sounds as good as TUBES. If you don't have the big bucks to go with McIntosh and such the Dynaco stuff will not dissapoint you.

Latest posts

Back