Tech's Opinion Re: MESA Fixed Bias

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Rolf

Reaction score
Do ya' think this guy doesn't much care for MESA's?
http://www.amp-fix.com/biasing.htm

I could poke a lot of holes in his self righteous blog if I had enough ambition and time to write it up.
Opinions are like a-holes. Everyone has one.

ryjan said:
I could poke a lot of holes in his self righteous blog if I had enough ambition and time to write it up.
Opinions are like a-holes. Everyone has one.
+1

The argument of buying only Mesa tubes is rediculous. I can think of a half-dozen vendors that will be more than happy to supply "Mesa spec" tubes. Plug and play, no bias adjustment needed.

I do however feel you still need to check the bias when replacing powertubes.

Dom

domct203 said:
...I do however feel you still need to check the bias when replacing powertubes...

I agree, as you can get duds or mismatched tubes from any vendor, and it does happen. The only way to be sure that everything is copacetic is to check.

Just a couple of points about the linked article. There is no such thing as "The Russian Sovtek Company". Sovtek is not the manufacturer/company, it is one of the brand names manufactured at the Reflector (Xpo-pul) factory. EH, Sovtek, Tung Sol, Mullard, etc, are not the same tubes, although they are made in the same factory.

Back