TAD 6L6 tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutchman

Reaction score
I recently loaded my Mark IIB with the TAD 6L6GC STR Black Plates (RCA Black Plate Copy??)and it sounds amazing. The break up an the clean channel is worth it alone but these buggers really rock on the lead channel too.
I really like the less volume before breakup compared to the Jan Philips 7581a'S I was running. Bottom end is rock solid. Way better than my Mesa STR 454's. Just an overall great sounding tube at a reasonable price.
The TAD tube required less presence also and they are less than 50 bucks a pair shipped to your door from the http://www.thetubestore.com/index.html

I also loaded the TAD 6L6WGC STR's Blackplates (GE 6L6GC copy??) in my 65 Bassman and they sound great with the Bassman, but when I tried them in the Boogie the where kinda mushy, good tone but not articulate like the 7581A's or the TAD 6L6GC STR's

I also tried the Groove Tubes Fender 6L6GC's in both amps, Kinda sterile sounding in both amps for my tastes.

So there is hope after the GE and RCA 6L6's are gone.......And at less than half the price...

I would have really liked to have compared them to Original RCA and GE tubes, but I'll have to leave that to somebody with alot more money than me. After all I am a musician :)

I dont think you will find a better tube than the Phillips 7581A in a Mesa.
They have such great bottom end and a smooth top end and last for ever.
I prefer them slightly over STR-415's / Phillips 6L6GC's.
Sadly, TAD tubes are just Ruby / Shuguang from China and are relabeled.
Ruby did the design on the 6L6GCMSTR and the Blackplate reissue.
I have a Ruby wholesale account and they did not include the RCA copy 6L6GC in the catalog. I have been using the USA made GT 6L6GE with great results. Out of all of the tubes known to be great for Boogie's, the Svetlana / STR454 is a great tube. You may find it to have some bite, but for higher gain applications it's awesome.

Dutchman said:
I really like the less volume before breakup
Thats definately not to my liking, I prefer more headroom not less. IMO the clean channel should be clean.

TAD seems to be sorting good ones out. I have some form of CHinese ax7's in my CAE 3+ preamp and frankly they sound really great in that amp. They aren't bad in my Mesa Mark 3 head either.

So far, it seems TAD is offering whatever good tubes roll out of the factory in CHina. At least you have found a tube that you know works for you.

But I'm in the high headroom school of thought. I like my cleans really clean.For other guys, nice break up is more important

brianf said:
Who makes the TAD? Is it Shunguang?

brianf

Yes, but Ruby Tubes Tom McNeil designed them and they are made on Ruby designed equipment in China. Ruby has operations in Petaluma, Ca and Germany. TAD just labels them. Ruby's are sold matched or no frills and you can match them yourself with the proper equipment.

The EL34BSTR and 6L6GCMSTR are some of my favorite current production tubes.

I use Ruby for 80% of my tube needs and Doug's Tubes for GT products and I like Bob Pletka at Eurotubes for JJ power tubes. I do prefer the GT JJ E34L. It dissipates better and IMO it has a bit better bottom end.

Latest posts

Back