T-verb - 100w to 50w..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've heard that by removing 1 rectifier tube and 2 power tubes you can lower the watt in a Tremoverb from 100w to 50w. I'd like to give it a try but I'm afraid to do something wrong that will hurt my amp, so my question is:

Which one of the examples below is the right way to do it?

Rectifier tubes: Power tubes:
1. X O --------------- X X O O
2. O X --------------- X X O O
3. X O --------------- O O X X
4. O X --------------- O O X X
5. X O --------------- O X X O
6. O X --------------- O X X O
7. X O --------------- X O O X
8. O X --------------- X O O X

>>X<< being where the tubes has been removed :mrgreen:

if i remember right it is the two center tubes, refer to your manual, it should say it in there, i know it does on the dual rec manual. If you dont have the manual you can download it from mesa boogie's website.

Examples 5 through 8 are correct. It does not matter which rectifier tube is removed but the output tubes are paired inner and outer. Make sure you reduce your impedance by half (IE if you use an 8 ohm cab plug into a 4 ohm cab).

I tried this with a Dual Rectifier head and hated the results. It seemed to take all of the fire and sizzle out of the amp.

Also, a 50 watt amp will not appear to be very much lower in Volume than a 100 watt amp because the human ear is not a linear device.

You might try Yellow Jackets in the amp if you don't like the tone with 2 6L6's.

Monsta-Tone said:
I tried this with a Dual Rectifier head and hated the results. It seemed to take all of the fire and sizzle out of the amp.
Exactly that, everyone thinks they'll get power tube saturation at the lower power running two pwer tubes which you "kind of" but not really because the output transformer is still a "100 watt" transformer, you don't get that saturation of a true 50 watt or lower power amp.

RR said:
Monsta-Tone said:
Exactly that, everyone thinks they'll get power tube saturation at the lower power running two pwer tubes which you "kind of" but not really because the output transformer is still a "100 watt" transformer, you don't get that saturation of a true 50 watt or lower power amp.

I was just about to post that! :)

disassembled said:
RR said:
Monsta-Tone said:

I was just about to post that! :)
Ha, ha (Nelson - Simpson) I stoled your thunder! :wink:

RR said:
Monsta-Tone said:

++++++++++++++1

I ended up using 1 or 2 smaller cabinets rather than a 4x12.

Less speakers means less air is being moved, this equals a perceived difference in volume.

I used a Mesa Widebody 1x12 3/4 open back with the Celestion Black Shadow for really small gigs and a THD 2x12 for slightly larger to medium gigs.

For large gigs, I still used the 4x12 or a couple of 2x12's.

Now, for larger gigs, I'll probably use the THD 2x12 & a Recto 2x12 cab. The THD has a lot of upper mids that only a partially open cab can give, while the Recto cab has gobs of low end. It's a good combo, although the THD is tweed and the Mesa is black, so it looks a little funny.

Also, a 16 ohm cab will lower the amp's output slightly. It isn't much, but it is noticeable.

Back