Symptoms of bad Rectifiers.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbird

Reaction score
Tubes that is, the other thread on Diode vs. Tube Rectifiers got me thinking, one of the nice options of having the choice is when perhaps a tube Rectifier fails, you can still use the diodes and finish the show! But what are the symptoms of failing tube Rectifiers?

Blowing fuses even while the amp is in standby.
Excessive "sag" even at moderate vol.
Reduced output even with known good power tubes.

Note that your amp will still blow fuses in silicon-diode setting with a bad recto tube in place...pull 'em out and it will run fine.

I like when they glow like a purple light bulb and then flicker. The fuse usually blows fast when this starts. I use the GZ34 insteas of the 5U4G.
I just find them to sound better and have had better reliability. Maybe it is just me. Pick up a pair of GZ34's. I think you can hunt them down for
$ 20-30.00.

They're life span should be roughly two to three times that of a power tube. BTW, I just put an order in for a set of GZ34's! :lol:

xnfx said:
What is the typical life span of a rectifier tube?

I hear some of the NOS types can last 30 years!...They're also a hundred bucks apiece.
Then again the JJ's are so inexpensive, I just change 'em with the power tubes and keep the old set for spares.

reags said:
jbird said:
They're life span should be roughly two to three times that of a power tube. BTW, I just put an order in for a set of GZ34's! :lol:

sorry for my ignorance, but wats the lifespan of a power tube?

cheers

It's approximatley how long the tube will last? I had asked Eurotubes the general lifespan of the Rectifiers, they said "about two to three times that of a Power Tube". I know what your getting at though, the lifespan of a tube is dependant upon many factors, but as a general rule, I like to replace mine once a year or so.

In general, a power tube will go for 1-2 years. If you drive them hard or put a lot of hours on them then that will shorten the life. Like the previous post, I replace mine about once a year anyway.

Latest posts

Back