Symphony X - Sea of Lies

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliffdove

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Here's my humble attempt at a song from this phenomenal band. After a long wait since 97', I've only gotten to see them live for the first time this year in Bangkok and they were just simply amazing. Needless to say, the urge to do this cover was truly immense and I hope I did them some justice.

This is also the last time I'll be miking up the amp due to room constraints and some mild tinnitus. There's so much more to be done with miking but I'm afraid I'll have to look at other avenues of recording guitars.

Please let me know how it sounds on your end and I'll make some final tweaks.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=728873&songID=7959371

Thanks.

dude this sounds awesome! great job!

what were your settings on the mark iv? clean/rhythm/leads?

grantcooper2 said:
dude this sounds awesome! great job!

what were your settings on the mark iv? clean/rhythm/leads?

Didn't stray too far off the Lamb of God and Petrucci settings and tweaked it a little from there.

Thanks cooper.

Love your tone. I read your statement on the soundclick site about not wanting to mic a blasting 4x12. Have you ever tried silent recording with speaker impulses?

I have tried going into a palmer pdi-03 though and failed miserably in getting the desired result. Its also very dark sounding and has a very 'sticky' feel to its tone. The mark iv tone is there but it lacks the much needed speaker movement. Its perhaps why I dont have much faith in impulses.

Not sure if you're familiar with the sound clips put up by this guy called Zorran. But he's got some of the best cab sim tones here.

thx frosty,

Tinnitus is a pain in the ***. You can imagine how I'm feeling at age thirty after playing in bands and University Symphonic Orchestra. (those brass players are loud buggers. Cellists sit stage left so I swear my right ear is a little more damaged than the left one) I have to say, I was always the first sod complaining of decibels in band rehearsal so I was quick to start wearing hearing protection. It just sucks that I can't enjoy my gear in all its painful (loud) glory!

On topic, that was a fantastic recording and I think I'm getting pulled to the 'dark side' aka mark series amps. Would you be so kind to post a gear list and some settings. I'm curious.

YellowJacket said:
On topic, that was a fantastic recording and I think I'm getting pulled to the 'dark side' aka mark series amps. Would you be so kind to post a gear list and some settings. I'm curious.

Here u go,

3966476492_a32ff4f024.jpg

Pentode, Mid Gain, Simul-Class.

If I had a bigger and proper tracking room, Output Level 3, Harmonics On would be most ideal. Mid Gain can be a tad beefy.

Guit path : RG7620 w Lundgrens, Rocktron hush II C, Mark IV, Legacy 4x12, SM57/MD 421, RNP preamp (sold) :(

Musicman Stingray 5, Sansamp RPM -> RNC compressor, Steven Slate drums

DAW : Lavry Black ADDA, Motu Ultralite, Genelec 8040s, Cubase, UAD.

There was quite a bit of processing going on during mixdown to make it all happen.

Cheers,

Is the led of ch1 burning. That seems a bit strange to me: such crunching gain sound on channel 1?
Could you please write these settings full out?

thanks a lot!

(or post it on grailtone)

thats fantastic

where were the SM57/MD 421 mics place? ie same speaker? whcih, how far, on off axis? (im giong to start recording my guitar parts for some songs soon.. and am looking for examples (i know just move the mic till it sounds good, but examples help)

thanks

Back