Switch to RKII?!?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah right, that’ll be the day…“Have fun painting” :p I (Insert 4 Word)’ hate it LOL…. anyhow thanks for the tip on trying and testing with the BB in CH3. I’ll try and see how it goes , although I believe it’s better to just have the Natural OD of the Amp’s tube’s, pure Bliss…in Ch3. “Mesa Heaven” someone once said that?!? LOL , rather than pushing it with a pedal.. even if it’s a BB…the BB is great in Ch1 clean on fat mode.. or any mode for that matter and I like it slightly pushed in crunch mode for extra sustain and Grit, catch my drift? , it gives it a Marshalesque Tone, but BETTER. So you want to run 2 amps simultaneously?? :shock: :shock: Amazing … that’s a stereo set up man (Watch out for JP? ) , that will sound KILLER. **** I Envy Envy Envy :twisted: you LOL. PS. Did I tell you that I envy you?!? Rock on… :)

I use my line 6 DLP delay in hard bypass mode. makes for a good stereo output with one input. Not bad with the effect tuned on either. The Mark V and Mark IV blended well together. Even though they are not identical in sound, the difference between the amps really filled in the tonal spectrum. I used to run the Mark IV with the Mark III used as a stereo slave.

I have not tried the blend of the Mark V or IV with the Roadster. The RA100 was not bad with the V. If and when I get around to it I will chime in. I would be perfectly happy with just the Roadster or the Mark V. I would say I am still trying to fill that void my wife left me with. In the long run, nothing could ever replace her. As far as amps, I am done, no more for me. However, there is the Fender Blues Deluxe I was playing with while shopping for a guitar for my nephew. That amp was fun to play though. I did however buy an amp on Saturday but not for me. I was impressed with the Line6 Spider jam, really nice amp for a beginner. If he gives up, it will become mine. Two of the amp modeling modes did the Mesa Rectifier high gain setting quite well. If I could have had something like that when I first started back in 1978..... I had some cheesy piece o crap that sounded like I named it. Only distortion that was achieved was by overdriving the speaker into breakup.

Last note, if you traded in the V, you would miss it. I do like the Roadster for what it is... The Mark V is definitely a different caliber of amplifier. If it was not for CH2 voicing (crunch and Mark I) CH1 clean or the CH3 ( all features ) I would say trade up for the RKII. If you were after the best tweed sound (Mark V does not do it well, perhaps I have not figured it out yet) get the Roadster.

I am done buying any more amps, however, I may consider trading in the V3MC for the line6 amp or the Fender Blues Deluxe.

So you’re Not buying anymore amps?!? Why :lol: however I tried a Fender Blues Deluxe and thought it was really cool also, if you do trade in your V3MC i would suggest getting the Fender blues DX. Very good for SRV - Clapton and such (Rock blues oriented music) Timmons is awesome but he uses mesa Stiletto and lonestar. Line6 does do good modeling amps, I have one myself which I use for playing mp3 songs to jam with and with the drum machine connected to it, also as a bass tuner as it has a tuner included, it’s a Line 6 Spider III - 150 watt stereo head. I also use it for lessons (lesson amp) so the guys only bring their guitars and I play through my VOX 15R Pathfinder which I find an amazing little S.S. amp that think’s it’s a Tube amp :lol: it sounds really great. :wink: I really am NOT into digital BUT the cleans are just Pristine glassy on the Line 6. Really nice… I only like the clean ch.on Line 6 as digital sounds processed and cheesey to my ears. I guess I got the tube tone BUG. honestly though the Vox is amazing, it actually sounds like a tube amp. I know what you’re talking about when you say if I had one of these when I started playing!!! I also had a cheesey amp. It was a Peavey backstage which I friggin’ hated. Had to crank it to get it saturated and the cleans where horrible (and that's a Compliment!!). I did beat it to death during my formative years though LOL. in any case Fender Blues Deluxe is a great choice as an alternative amp to Mesa to have lots of fun with.. great cleans and bluesy tones. Oh yeah I wouldn’t consider trading in my “V” for a Roadster , as I said I’ll just pick one up later down the road . So I’ll have 2 nice Mesa’s. I would of loved to have a mesa blue angel though, had the opportunity to buy one and passed on it about 10 yrs ago or longer I believe. So Stupid of me... didn’t know Sh?t about Mesa’s at the time… Nuff’ of all this . Gas is starting all over again, you’re a bad influence on me LOL…..hope you don’t start talking guitars because I am a true Suhr believer along with my 90’s Ibby Rg 770 Prestige DX with S.Vai- Di Marzio Evolution Pups and Charvel guitars (Phenomenal rock axes of backin the day...80’s ) Did I tell you I gotta go painting :lol: Rock on.

I am happy with what I have now. The Fender Blues Deluxe would just be in the way and would compete with the RA-100 which is my classic rock and blues amp. The V3MC just has too small a speaker envelope and sounds weak by itself but though a cab it is incredible. The way I have the amp set up at the moment (bias, preamp tubes, and WGS Black Hawk speaker) it is a Mesa Mark IV clone (almost).

The Fender Blues Deluxe would have been a better deal than the V3MC. I may consider a trade-in some day. For now I am set, no more spending, well, perhaps next year after taxes I may consider something. I already have more guitars than I can make use of (nothing wrong with having choices). Now it is egging me on, I keep hearing that Fender Blues Deluxe tone in my head but will have to give up something to get it. It will not be a Mesa either. The FBD is more what I was looking for when I bought the V3MC. I will have to look into it further, see what tubes it uses, etc... If I could get away from the EL84, that would be even better.

Yeah the “Fender Blues Deluxe would be great but if it will compete with your RA-100 I wouldn’t even consider spending extra cash for tones that aren’t (better) than the RA-100… :wink: I am trying to get some cash together for a Roadster and that will be it for me… :mrgreen: Ciao man and Rock on…

If I did not have 4 Mesa amps at my disposal, the Fender Blues Deluxe would make sense. So not really needed. I guess I am not fully satisfied with the V3MC that I am considering trading it in for something else. As a combo amp, it is weak, used as a driver for a 412 it sounds great. (too small a speaker enclosure to be effective, sound cancellation due to enclosure size). Why have the V3MC in the first place? Practice sessions at my friends home. The Mark IV and now the Mark V combo are too heavy to carry. I usually crush my fingers in my hand when picking it up. (Side straps would make more sense than a single handle at the top) I traveled with the Mark IV twice and it took a while for my back and fingers to recover. Even with casters, they do not work well up and down stairs or over grass. Perhaps just the head and an open back 1x12 would be better than lugging around the combo.

Roadster is a really great amp. Definitely worth saving for.

Hell yeah you don't need other amps!!! …. Don’t tell me you’re thinking of going back to a “HEAD :lol: ?!? I knew weight was going to be an issue that’s why I got the head in the first place. plus I believe it looks super cool on a 4x12 Recto Half- a-stack… What do you think of the Roadster’s cleans? Are they as good as the “V” in Fat mode? Also do you think a NON true by pass tuner will suck my tone? I got a boss tu-3. you think I should get a Peterson strobostomp tuner? It’s true by pass. All my pedals are except for my tuner …. You think it’s sucking tone? Thanks Ciao and Rock on… you got gear LOL…whish I had half you’re amps LOL… “One of these days Alice” BOOM … :shock:

If you have a series tuner, just stick it in the tuner out jack. That way it will not add noise or loss of tone if does such in the loop. I use a snark for tuning, a bit better than a tuning fork and string tuning by ear. Just clip it on the head stock (assuming it is not a headless guitar, yes those are still around). Snark tuners work well on any stringed instrument. You could probably use it on a piano.

I will not tell you I converted the Mark V back to a head. I will keep the shell just in case I do such but I like the combo set up I have with it. I recently re-tubed it with the Mesa stock preamp tubes and installed the Gold Lion KT77. With the hotter bias of the Mark V, the KT77 really sound awesome. (I ordered them for the Mark V and requested tubes for a hot bias, I guess that is why the sound weak in the other amps). I went back to stock tubes in the V (with the exception of the power tubes) since I liked the Roadster as it came out of box it sounds perfect.

Here is much about nothing.... in short: the Roadster is comparable to the Mark V clean. Only difference is that you get 2 channels to select from compared to one. Tone and character is similar but yet not identical. Though a V30 cab it would be about the same. The big difference between the two amps is the presence controls. The presence on the Roadster is a bit more dynamic and actually loosens or tightens up the lows. Mark V, more of a high frequency fine tuner. In part it is related to the method of feedback from the power amp section and the differences of the two.

In long form (TMI if you prefer)
Comparing the CH1 of the V to the CH1 or CH2 of the Roadster. I would say it is close when using a sealed 412. Tweed and Brit modes are a bonus with the Roadster. I could not get the same sound of the tweed mode in the Mark V (until I changed tubes that is) A sealed cabinet will give the clean channel a bit of warmth and slight compression so blues and jazz type tones are preserved, not a country style amp by any means unless you are using an open back cabinet. Same effect with the Mark V and the 412. They are almost equivalent but the Mark V will have a brighter tone to it due to the power amp format. I normally run the V at 90W so the clean channel (as well as the others will be operating with silicon diodes). The Roadster, :D has the capability to run tube rectifier at 100W and that gives it more flexibility. Since the Roadster is strictly a Class A/B (50W or 100W) there is a difference in sound quality or character that is more appealing for some reason. To make use of the tube rectifier on the V you either have to use the 45W or 10W mode but the amp will be operating as a Class A only. Sure there will be more clarity but seems a bit tinny or thin compared to a subtle crossover distortion of the Class A/B. It is a bit difficult to describe the differences in a way that even makes sense to me. A perception of wetness in the Class A/B and dusty powder of Class A. (that is a bit of a poor analogy :cry: ). At best, there is more depth to the tone with the Class A/B compared to the Class A of the Mark V. There is also a difference in the amount of headroom provided in the clean channels (onset of clip). It is all really subjective. At one point I was judging the clean channel on is capability to reproduce an acoustic guitar tone. The Mark IV did that with ease (open back speaker enclosure is the key). Mark V converted to combo duty, WOW, the CH1 channel in clean or fat can really generate that dry piano like tone with the open back cabinet. MC90 is capable of this as well but the EV performs better at high volume in the CH2 or CH3 under any gain setting. I guess there is some merits to the RK 412 cab and programmable output taps. With the RK412 (half sealed V30, half open back MC90) allows for that mix of compressed sound vrs airiness of the open back cab.

Got reverb? Probably my most coveted sound effect (all I really care to use). It is all in the circuit used in the amp. The Roadster, RA100, Mark V and Mark IV use the exact same reverb tank. It is the circuit ( level shifting used in channel selection through attenuating resistor networks, bypass capacitors on the collector of the driver triode and receive triode, etc...) I feel the Roadster has the best overall reverb circuit. It is just as good if not better than some of the Fender reverb sounds I have heard over the years. The Mark V would come in second (unfortunately mine had an issue and lost one of the FET's that switch the driver tube on and off, possibly the relay that switches the attenuation circuits for each channel, now it is too abundant. I did repair the amp just to keep the reverb signal properly attenuated so it does not drown everthing. The RA100 reverb is nice too but saturates easily at moderate settings. Mark IV is not as pronounced and much more timid and not as liquid as the other three amps. Compare that to the Mark III I used to have, it was sub-par as a reverb amp, tank was also much smaller in size.

Thanks for the great write up. :) Now I understand a lot more about the Roadster…Gassingggg… So you’re saying that if tuner is in the tuner output on the amp it will NOT suck tone, even if it’s NOT true by pass? Correct :?: Because I was thinkin’ of getting a Peterson strobostomp tuner, but they’re expensive as hell.. :( I also can’t live without Rev. the only other fx I use is a bit of Delay for depth in my lead tone and obviously a Wah.. “A perception of wetness in the Class A/B and dusty powder of Class A” . I catch your drift no problem LOL. Rock on…

I cannot comment on the signal tuners that are pedal based. Some have had issues using the tuner out jack. Note, if you do use the tuner out jack and hit the mute button (in order for it to work you also need to use the FX loop active, not hard bypass). The tuner will only receive a signal when the amp is muted. So if you are looking for something that remains on at all times I guess a series tuner is the way to go. I like the cheap approach, clip on snark.

A snark is just shy of $30 and can be used on any guitar. Besides it does not interfere with the guitar signal. I have also used it on the handle of the Mark V (this would defeat the purpose of silent tuning). Also the snark uses characters and a nice bar graph and could be easily used in complete darkness.

Actually the best way to determine if the Roadster or Road King is the best amp or not is to compare it next to the Mark V. Best to have someone help you with the unfamiliar amp to dial it in. The differences may or may not be noticeable. It will come out eventually after playing though it for a while. Keep in mind, I have had a love/hate relationship with my Mark V ever since I got it. Some days it sounds awesome, and on others it is so bright I need ear plugs. The standby switch is the roulette button, must be a random generator that thows out great sound or crappy sound. Despite the issues (perhaps I have mental problem or hearing loss or both) I do like the Mark V and have no plans on letting it go. I blame it on the quality of tubes, since they are the variable in the mix of things.

Thanks for the tip on the Snark… I’ll look into one. Cracks me up when you say : “The standby switch is the roulette button, must be a random generator that thows out great sound or crappy sound. Despite the issues perhaps I have mental problem or hearing loss or both” :lol: :lol: big time… Hope that isn’t the case Ciao man. :)

I believe I found the culprit to my Mark V dilemma. A few days ago, I decided to return to stock all preamp tubes including the PI tube. Amp never sounded better. This was after experimenting with the Sovtek LPS in the Roadster as I noticed it got much brighter in tone. I would have sworn this not to be the issue but, that is one tube I left as a constant during my tube rolling. :oops:

You may be surprised about the snark. I first encountered one at guitar center when I was trying out a Mark V combo with a Line 6 DL4. As usual, every guitar I picked out was way out of tune. The sales guy walked over and popped the tuner on the head stock and said try this. (too many people jamming out and could not tune by ear to save my life). I was going to take one of those home with me before leaving the store. Now I have two (one stays in the studio, the other in the travel case) Also, ever try tuning a 12 string acoustic with just a tuning fork for reference?. The snark made that job easy ! Also tuning a Floyd Rose equipped guitar after changing strings can be a chore, takes less time with a clip on tuner or perhaps a series tuner. I used to just bang an A tuning fork on my knee and pass it over the pickup and tune with tapped harmonics at the 12th fret on the A string. Even better, setting up the intonation is a plus with the snark (there are other clip on tuners too, I am only referencing the Snark since I have it.)

Just got a mail back from Mesa . here’s they’re response on tuner sucking tone: “The tuner out is an OUT only - there is no signal running back in, so no way for a tuner to suck tone”. that's GOOD News for my ears :) I also remember banging a diaphason on my knees also when I was a kid... didn’t know about tuners back in the day.. my guitar teacher never told me about them arghhh… :twisted: my right knee used to hurt every day :lol: .. So know you’re saying the stock preamp tubes are better . good to hear that . I won’t have to try tube rolling. :lol: that’s good to hear .. Rock on...

To be honest, they sucked with the stock power tubes. They were also terrible with SED =c= 6L6GC. It did not take long to figure out it is not the preamp tubes that were of concern. It is the bias on the power tubes that adds the ice pick highs. Perhaps my V is an exception as far as bias is concerned. Only way to compensate is to order tubes for a hot bias. The place I ordered the KT77 did a good job in meeting my requirements (found them on Ebay, new tubes matched and burned in quad. Took about a week before they shipped after ordering them). I did the same with the SED =C= 6L6GC through the tube store. Both sets of tubes do not sound so good in other amps (LAME is the best term) but in the V they are perfect. I found the KT77 to be much louder than the 6L6GC. The stock Mesa 12AX7A (rebranded JJ tubes but selected though Mesa ) sound really good with the EL34 alternate. When I had the other preamp tubes in the amp I needed to use a 5751 in the PI position to improve headroom. It seems the last tube in the chain can make a difference in overall tone. I guess I prefer warmer tones than brittle high end. What reinforced the hot bias theory was the V3MC. That amp sounded great in the clean channel but totally crappy in either of the gain channels. Way too much high end brittle ear piercing tone that worse than the Mark V in tweed mode. Turns out when I checked the bias on the EL84 it was set 150% over the recommended current setting. At least I was able to adjust it and now the amp sounds great. Can't do that with the V.

My favorite tubes thus far in the V was almost a full complement of Mullard reissue 12AX7 long plates. They really enhanced the gain structure considerably, did not compress the CH3 as much as the other tubes I have tried, and did not hamper the clean channels either. However that was the best tube for the SED =C= 6L6GC since they can be bright tubes (but the low end is just as abundant). The issue with long plate preamp tubes, tendency to oscillate on occasion, sudden change in bias voltage when changing channels, noted by a ping when switching to CH3 (sometimes that was all that was needed to ring out feedback). Reason for changing to stock Mesa tubes. I do not mind the mild hiss, I was beginning to get the typical low frequency hum that was becoming annoying (seemed to be common with Tung Sol, EH, most of the Russian tubes :cry: V1, V3 and V4 seemed to be sensitive to it). I weeded out all of the crappy Mesa JJ tubes though trial and error, many would pop, excess white noise or hiss. Quote Forest Gump " tubes are like a box of chocolate, never know what you will get until you try them. Some may be sweet, some are nasty and the rest sound like ****." :D

It is all subjective.... At least the Mark V can be tailored with preamp tubes. The Mark IV, RA100, and the Roadster do not seem to be as responsive with different tubes. Actually the Mark IV sounds good no matter what tubes you use.

So it’s the bias on the power tubes that adds the ice pick highs hey :?: :?: Good to know… thanks for all this great info. man. :) I also can’t stand the ice pick highs, I like a nice fat warm round tone A-La Andy Timmons Clean and J.Trucc’es Distorted Tone… with neck pup selected for leads ALWAYS… :wink: I’m behind on work man, gotta catch :shock: up ciao , till next post… Rock on

bandit2013 said:
It is all subjective.... At least the Mark V can be tailored with preamp tubes. The Mark IV, RA100, and the Roadster do not seem to be as responsive with different tubes. Actually the Mark IV sounds good no matter what tubes you use.

+1

The MKV is almost too sensitive to changes. I have also gone back to stock preamp tubes, which work well for me with =C= 6L6 under the hood

Tuned the preamp on my Roadster, which is running with =C= EL34's again. Not as sensitive as the V, but VERY responsive to preamp changes through my rig. Needed to brighten it up and remove the flubby bass from CH3 / 4 - both are now excellent

Chester,
What cab and speakers are you running? With V30's I can see the mud forming. It is unbelievable how low you can go with the EV's and no mudd.

After I repaired the Mark V (lost a grid resistor :cry: , was just a matter of time) I was able to compare both Roadster and V together with stock Mesa Tubes. I did like the tone and gain structure with the Mullards, but they were sensitive to sudden voltage changes when changing channels. V1 and V3 and most of the other preamp tubes will have a bias voltage change due to channel switching which could induce a self oscillation on the tubes. Medium and short plate preamp tubes seem to lack the ringing effect (the exception is the Northern Electric which looks more like an RFT than anything). Note: I could not tolerate the stock 12AX7A Mesa tubes with 6L6GC in the power amp. Seemed to become an ice pick on certain channel settings (CH1 Tweed, CH2 edge and crunch, CH3 all). I am impressed on the tone with EL34 type tubes and the Mesa preamp tubes.

The Roadster is definitely much darker in tone than the Mark V. Even the RA100 pales in comparison. After having the Roadster for a while and when the Mark V was down, it seemed to be missing something. I did not care much for the TS in V1, I will have to try one or two Mullards (either CV4004 or the 12AX7 reissue). Perhaps V1 and V2 will be my targets. I also have some vintage Mesa 12AX7A that are like new I may try out. Sounds like a tube roll may be in order. Also the amp gets even darker in 50W mode. Not sure I am ready to void my warranty yet, or is it too late now that I have tried a few different tubes just to hear the difference. :|

bandit2013 said:
Chester,
What cab and speakers are you running? With V30's I can see the mud forming. It is unbelievable how low you can go with the EV's and no mudd. |

I'm running the cabs in my sig at 8 Ohm with G12T 75s - can dial out any muddy response easily

I would say the Roadster is the negative of the Mark V (at least in my case). Roadster is a bit warmer and not over the top on the ice pick highs as is the case with my Mark V. I have tried a few of the preamp tubes, TS, Mullards, etc.. Not any notable change worth making an effort to chime in about. Tone is part tube and mostly how each circuit is design. Cathode bypass caps, decoupling caps between stages, all play an important roll in the tone of the amplifier. Final is how hot or cold the power section is biased at. Colder amp will provide more headroom and deeper tones where as a hot bias will enhance some of the upper harmonics with an early onset of distortion. That is actually good when driving the amp in a 10W mode, power tubes will not saturate if the bias is too cold. Then comes the power tubes themselves. Early distortion, average or late, hot, cold or what ever the term may be. :?

I would not want to change anything on either of the amps as the tone and gain characteristics is unique in each of them. Similar to different woods in your guitar. Walnut definitely provides a deep growl and pristine highs, Maple is just bright and heavy ( weight wise), Mahogany can vary due to wood density, Koa just kicks out some incredible tone, Alder is really alive, Limba (aka Korina) is similar to Koa and Walnut with a bit of Mahogany tone.

We all know speakers are also important as is the enclosure it is housed in.

I don't care, as long as it sounds awesome, that is all I need :D

Hey guys has anyone tried a Recto 4x12 with V30's and a Mesa 1x12 C90 widebody closed back front ported cab together using the 1x12 as a Monitor with their Mark V?!? It sounds totally awesome to me… I get the great vintage V30 sounds and the fatness tone of the C90 for me and the drummer to hear in an open environment if there’s no monitors available. Any thoughts. Rock On… :wink:

Latest posts

Back