Svetlana 6L6's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G.I.G.

Reaction score
Has anyone tryed these tubes and/or use them currently? I was thinking of re-tubing my dual rec before a string of gigs I have coming up and wanted to know what advantages, if any, they provide? I like my sound now and don't want to deviate from it too much but if they can help, I'll try them. They're also significanltly more expensive than the Sovteks so I wanted to know if they're worth the extra $$$.

Also, if anyone has info regarding other 6L6 manufacturers, I'd love to hear about it. Has anyone heard of JJ tubes or know what they're all about. I love the sound that the 6L6's produce, I just want to get my hands on THE best 6L6's I can dig up. Thanks.

Well, if you asked me, the two best 6L6GC's being currently produced are the SED (used to be called Svetlana) and the JJ 6L6GC. I hear the TAD 6L6GC (TAD = Tube Amp Doctor) is pretty good as well.

I run either JJ's or SED 6L6GC's in my Mark IV or Triple Rectifier if I'm running 6L6GC's.

The JJ tends to run a bit cooler than the rest of the pack, but you can probably request a fairly set from www.eurotubes.com that will bias up properly in a Boogie. The JJ has more of a Gritty, ballsier vibe. When they are biased up fairly well, they tend to have a fattening effect in the power section and become a tad bit smoother. They're real rugged as well.

The SED 6L6GC has more of the old school NOS American 6L6GC vibe ala the GE, Sylvania/Philips. The tone is real sweet and smooth. They're not as deep as the JJ, but they make up for that with their sweet harmonic structure through the mids along with their bright, smooth high end.

The TAD 6L6GC, that a lot of folks seem to be talking about, is supposed to be close to the old Philips 7581A's. I have 2 matched Octets of the Philips 7581A's, but I haven't tried the TAD 6L6GC.

TAD also makes a 6L6wgc (5881) version. These have a good, smooth tone, but they can get kind of mushy while used in an amp with a lot of gain. I know that they don't like plate voltages in the 550 area as well. I haven't seen a Boogie with a plate voltage that high though. I ran them in my Triple Rectifier in the Bold/Tube Rectifier mode and the plate voltage is right in the 400 area. I've got a quad of these in my Twin Reverb and the plate voltage is right at 445 in that particular amp. I haven't tried them in a circuit with plate voltages between 450 and 550, so no comments there.

I would probably stick with the SED 6L6GC or the JJ 6L6GC. If you want to get the SED's from Mesa, they are the STR-454. They're 60 bux a pair. That's a lot of money. You can get a quad of them from www.kcanostubes.com for 70 bux that fall within the spec range for a Mesa/Boogie.

Dale

I run a set of Svetlana's. I think they sound great without changing the tone too much. To me, they're basically everything the Sovtecs are, but more of it.

i bought a pair & they sound good to me. They're cheap too, but i still have some reservations about running non mesa tubes in my m4.

Put SED 6L6's in my Rectoverb head about a month ago to replace the stock Sovteks. Not a night and day difference, but significant nonetheless. My overdrive has a warmer feel to it and I really I like the change. Mesa doesn't carry them anymore so I ordered Groove Tubes 6L6R2 in a #5 hardness rating (don't forget the "2" - the R1's are Sovtek).

Haven't used the JJ in this amp yet, but the JJ 6L6 are known for having a strong midrange, similar to an EL34. They're often recommended when you're not sure if you want to run 6L6 or an EL34. As for the bass, Bob at Eurotubes claims that they have more low-end emphasis than the SED - I have no problem getting enough bass with the SED's so I never worried about it.

boogiemon said:
i bought a pair & they sound good to me. They're cheap too, but i still have some reservations about running non mesa tubes in my m4.

Order Groove Tubes 6L6 R2 in #4, 5, or 6 rating - same thing that Mesa used to sell and they run within the Mesa-approved bias range. Not as cheap as a regular out-of-the-box pair from thetubestore.com or similar retailer, but it'll get rid of your reservations 8)

I don't where you buy your tubes but $34.00 for a matched pair ( excluding shipping) doesn't seem too out of line.
http://www.thetubestore.com/6l6gc.html

G.I.G. said:
Has anyone tryed these tubes and/or use them currently? I was thinking of re-tubing my dual rec before a string of gigs I have coming up and wanted to know what advantages, if any, they provide? I like my sound now and don't want to deviate from it too much but if they can help, I'll try them. They're also significanltly more expensive than the Sovteks so I wanted to know if they're worth the extra $$$.

Also, if anyone has info regarding other 6L6 manufacturers, I'd love to hear about it. Has anyone heard of JJ tubes or know what they're all about. I love the sound that the 6L6's produce, I just want to get my hands on THE best 6L6's I can dig up. Thanks.

2 Thumbs up for thetubestore.com This store is about a 15 minute drive from me. Dan and Byron truly know what will work for your amp. They are also experts in tubes for high end hi-fi and compressors etc.

The products are packaged very very well!!!

brianf

Back