Survey, Are Pedals Through a LSS Considered Taboo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resonator

Reaction score
I've read a few comments that said "the reason to buy a LSS is pedals are unnecessary". And, "it would be a shame to run effect pedals through a LSS".

I have a Barber Tone Press on the way for the LSS I just purchased. And I might end up buying the Barber LTD if I can't dial in the low gain overdrive/crunch I'm Looking for.

I am going to sell my Line 6, Pod XT Live. IMHO, that would be a sin to use this very sterile modeler. But, I see nothing wrong with using high quality pedals like Barber and Keeley to get a "certain sound" your looking for.

How do you Mesa fans feel about this? Am I in the minority? :?

Res 8)

hey resonator...
I dont know if they are taboo or not...
for a year now I have been using mine just with guitar plugged straight in
and have had many a great tone...but I do plug in a wah once and a while....
I may be better suited to answer tomorrow since I know the kids got me
something to plug into the amp for my birthday...lol....

the amp itself can create many tonal possibilities.....but some tones require effects that an amp probably just cant produce all on its own...
so I dont think It would be a shame....but maybe unneccessary to some peoples tone or playing.....

best thing is if you dont end up liking them you can always unplug the additions....

L'auger

Hey Res! Taboo? Don't think so ... as long as your not trying to make the LSS sound like something it's not.

I have a LSS head and matching 2X12 cab. I love the clean channel 1 tone and get a great mild overdrive with channel 2, but I can't get all of the overdrive tones needed for the music I play.

To get a big overdrive tone I use a Barber Direct Drive and a Fulltone FullDrive2-Mofset with channel 1. The Barber brings out more mids while the Fulltone keeps more of the chararastics of the dialed in LSS tone. I can get some chunk with the Barber. I get great tones with this setup. Both pedals give me the bottom end I need without the mudd. Neither pedal takes away from the magical el84 chime!

I play a PRS McCarty with soapbars, a Fender Tele '52 Reissue, and a LP Classic. The LLS loves the PRS and Tele ... and I get a good tone with the LP classic.

I don't think you ever stop the tone quest. I just bought an Xotic BB preamp from Ebay...waiting for it to arrive at my doorstep...

Hey Res, I use 4 OD's on my pedal board with my LSC as well as comp, wah, chorus and delay. Congrats on your Barber purchase. You can't go wrong with those pedals. Well you know I've got the tone press, I have the DD & LTD with mod PCB also (LTD is in getting modded). The Ltd needed a little help to be my low gain pedal compared to my Keeley BD-2. Which is why the hot ticket is the LTD Silver. It has a flatter freqeuncy response, good for retaining the amps tone. Where as the standard LTD sort of puts its tone forward. Which ain't a bad thing, just has a mid hump. Mid humps cut through a mix like crazy but lack in the bedroom for fullness. Anyway...using the amp without pedals is boring. Even if the amp can cop many different sounds, you can only use 2 at a time. Thats why a player needs 3 & 4 ch amps. Pedals are those other ch's. I used to play naked for effects when I was 16 years old. I couldn't afford jack. I had to play non master vol amps and roll my vol. back. These are the days now! Enjoy all this "State of the art stuff" you'll blow people away with all the tones you can whip out.

plan-x said:
Hey Res, I use 4 OD's on my pedal board with my LSC as well as comp, wah, chorus and delay. Congrats on your Barber purchase. You can't go wrong with those pedals. Well you know I've got the tone press, I have the DD & LTD with mod PCB also (LTD is in getting modded). The Ltd needed a little help to be my low gain pedal compared to my Keeley BD-2. Which is why the hot ticket is the LTD Silver. It has a flatter freqeuncy response, good for retaining the amps tone. Where as the standard LTD sort of puts its tone forward. Which ain't a bad thing, just has a mid hump. Mid humps cut through a mix like crazy but lack in the bedroom for fullness. Anyway...using the amp without pedals is boring. Even if the amp can cop many different sounds, you can only use 2 at a time. Thats why a player needs 3 & 4 ch amps. Pedals are those other ch's. I used to play naked for effects when I was 16 years old. I couldn't afford jack. I had to play non master vol amps and roll my vol. back. These are the days now! Enjoy all this "State of the art stuff" you'll blow people away with all the tones you can whip out.

John, the pedals you mentioned are my favorites also. What Wah, Chorus and Delay pedals are you using?

By the way, I bet playing naked "DID" have an effect. Effect on the people around you that is. Maybe if I played naked, no one would notice how bad I play. :shock:

Res

I had to reply to this one. I had a LSS, loved it, I now have a RK II and Express 5:50. All of these amps sound good with the Barber pedals. For me, the Direct Drive is my Marshall in a stompbox, Tone Press for a subtle compression sound and recently I purchased the LTD SR to add a little gain without changing my amps' tone. If I had to pick one of these I'd get the LTD SR, it's seems to me it shines where you have a great amp and want a little ooooomp,it adds to a Mesa.

hey resonator....
the jury is out for me...
My kids got me a digitech rp-150 digital effects modeller....and this thing impressed me...big time....
I have been a straight into the amp person for quite a few years and been into the Lss for 1 year....with no pedals at all...and like I said earlier I have made quite a few great tones with just the amp....
this is where I do a turn about...
I took about 1 hour for me to look over the documentation....for the modeller and set up the effects loop properly...and the key for me was
setting up the Lss properly to accept what the modeller had to offer...

this thing blazed up a miriad of tone from clean to snarley and clear shimmery to fuzzy and warm... ..and I have only scratched the surface.....

the effects were steller....I didnt find it to be sterile at all...
I set up a drum model and did about 30 min guitar solo...that was really
impressive....so the kids tell me...lol
and I liked it too..
I will be back at it again tomorrow....

L'auger

Res, playing naked does improve your playing but, using pedals is an art in itself that playing naked can't teach. (Oxy-moron statement?) Whatever!
Anyways I have some not so coveted ambience pedals such as a Guyatone delay mini pedal MD-3 and a Boss DD-3 delay. They get the job done. I have 2 pedal boards, so one to each board. Both my boards have a Johnson SC-2 Chorus. This chorus is a $35-40. Iv'e owned alot of chorus pedals and the thing that this chorus does is not color my sound with a mid hump because of the EQ on it. If you turn the EQ knobs all the way down it has no mid hump. Although the knob says flat all the way to the right, it's wrong, it's flat all the way to the left and boosts frequency to the right. Now the wah I use might be a joke to the purest. I use the Dunlop M-120 auto wah. Just set and forget. If I ever make room for a real wha on my board, I would consider the Budda wha. Another thing that I have is a BBE stomp on my big pedal board.

heres your answer:

do the pedals you have/want through an LSS sound good?

If no, then dont use them.

If yes, then its taboo but all the more enjoyable because of it, like many things :roll: :lol:

Hey man I think if you get the tone you can hear and imagine then does it really matter what anyone else has to say about it,you may infact find the grailtone this way!!!!!

I think if your happy with it then that great otherwise I couldnt care less I hope it works for you although if I were usin effect I would try to buy true bypass ones so when they are off they are off,or get them modded to true bypass

Just my 2 pence

Everything from guitar to person to strings to amp to effects to cables to relative humidity, etc., affect tone.

Whatever works for you, works for you. Use what you want.

SabuJSE said:
Everything from guitar to person to strings to amp to effects to cables to relative humidity, etc., affect tone.

Whatever works for you, works for you. Use what you want.

Oh, I do intend to use what I want. This thread is just an attempt to see how you folks feel about this subject.

I'm not going to put inferior pedals with the LSS. I'm looking for pedals with transparent qualities and absolutely True Bypass circuits.

I can see myself going with a good Chorus and Delay Pedal down the road.

I say, if you are already comfortable with "playing naked", which lots of folks would be :oops: by, using pedals, or any other gear should be easy. I have a question though:

If a really good lookin' babe is in the audience and she gives you a smile and a wink, does playing guitar go back to the old days where you were leaning the face of the upward so you could see the fretboard, making it tough on your wrist and killing your speed and action?

no, anyone who says that pedals are a no-no for the LSS should ask themselves one question. Why on God's green Earth would Mesa put an effects loop on an amp that was not made for pedals? I run a few pedals, so what.

speedy mcfeely said:
no, anyone who says that pedals are a no-no for the LSS should ask themselves one question. Why on God's green Earth would Mesa put an effects loop on an amp that was not made for pedals? I run a few pedals, so what.

Well, you know how the "Purist" can be. Look at all the people who think nothing is better than an old Tele. That's a bunch of C#*P. I was around in the days of the "old Tele's. The new Guitars are so much better.

to each their own.

Res

I dont think pedals are taboo through anything. If you want to use a pedal do so....if someone tells you that you are doing something wrong ignore them.

Latest posts

Back