Suitable 1x12 Cab for Mark V Head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
primeholy said:
paulg2uk said:
Barry said:
I have the 1X12 cab wide body / closed back/ front ported cab . It was designed for the mark V . I opted for a V30 in mine . great cab .

I think I'll be going for that one. I had a 1x12 closed back before and it just sounded too squashed to me. Does the front ported section help with that at all?

You wont get that same open sound you get with the open back.

Really ok now I'm confused. I mainly play covers but that could be anything to the Beatles, foos, Metallica anything really. I need a good all rounder.

paulg2uk said:
Really ok now I'm confused. I mainly play covers but that could be anything to the Beatles, foos, Metallica anything really. I need a good all rounder.

The front port is for additional bass response. It does not mimick the sound of an open back in any way.

The 3/4 back is TUNED and IMO is the most versatile cab Mesa makes. I get great tight Metal tones as well as open, breathing cleans. No tones seem to suffer.

MusicManJP6 said:
paulg2uk said:

The front port is for additional bass response. It does not mimick the sound of an open back in any way.

The 3/4 back is TUNED and IMO is the most versatile cab Mesa makes. I get great tight Metal tones as well as open, breathing cleans. No tones seem to suffer.

Sounds like this could be the one to achieve the sounds I wanna. Do you gig with it? What's it like to transport?

Thanks

Paul

Anything MESA makes is pure awesome. So, if you want to diversify a bit, then you've gotta check out Krank.

Solid poplar wood construction
Loaded with premium Eminence Legend V12 speakers 16 ohms
Measurements 15 1/2? x 15 1/2? x 12?
Removable metal grill available in black or chrome

paulg2uk said:
MusicManJP6 said:
paulg2uk said:

Sounds like this could be the one to achieve the sounds I wanna. Do you gig with it? What's it like to transport?

Thanks

Paul

It is lighter than my front ported. I've only gigged mine once since I just got it recently. The drummer wanted me taken out of his monitor cause he was getting enough of me coming out the back of my cab. They ended up taking the mic off of my cab. Funny thing, during one song at the solo, the mic(which they just set on top of my cab) fell back in front of the cab when I engaged the solo function. Talk about LOUD!

It is lighter than my front ported. I've only gigged mine once since I just got it recently. The drummer wanted me taken out of his monitor cause he was getting enough of me coming out the back of my cab. They ended up taking the mic off of my cab. Funny thing, during one song at the solo, the mic(which they just set on top of my cab) fell back in front of the cab when I engaged the solo function. Talk about LOUD!

Lol excellent bout time the drummer suffered after all we have to with their loud playing. That's helped a lot thanks for your advice. Its pretty daunting sometimes trying to chose the right cab. And there are so many Mark V users out there that prefer different cabs. I guess its what I prefer at the end of the day, but its nice to get a bit of feedback.

HI Paul..I have a MKV head and two of the ported MKV cabs.....I must say that I'm thinking of making a 3/4 back for one of them as the sound can be a bit squashed/dull sounding....so I reckon an open and a ported is the way to go.

Paul
Stockport UK :)

divil said:
HI Paul..I have a MKV head and two of the ported MKV cabs.....I must say that I'm thinking of making a 3/4 back for one of them as the sound can be a bit squashed/dull sounding....so I reckon an open and a ported is the way to go.

Paul
Stockport UK :)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info. I had the same sort of experience with a closed back cab a while ago that's why I wasn't keen on the idea and would prefer an open or 3/4 back. The 3/4 looks like the favourite at the moment. I'm ordering everything on Monday so hopefully I won't have to wait that long for the cab to come into stock. We shall see.

Thanks

Paul

paulg2uk said:
Its pretty daunting sometimes trying to chose the right cab. And there are so many Mark V users out there that prefer different cabs. I guess its what I prefer at the end of the day, but its nice to get a bit of feedback.

It's the versatility of the amp. The amp will do everything from jazz to blues to funk to rock to metal.... however the jazz guy might not be thrilled about using a V30 loaded 4x12 while the metal guy might not be thrilled with a 1x12 open back.

the 1X12/front ported /closed back is awesome (this isnt the the theile) . It doesnt sound squashed . I think you are searching for a cab that will get you a bit of both . The open back cabs are great bu they are going to come uo short when you are trying to get a bit of closed back sound . I love mine .
dsc00995.jpg

Barry said:
the 1X12/front ported /closed back is awesome (this isnt the the theile) . It doesnt sound squashed . I think you are searching for a cab that will get you a bit of both . The open back cabs are great bu they are going to come uo short when you are trying to get a bit of closed back sound . I love mine .
dsc00995.jpg

I still can't decide and don't wanna make a mistake on which I buy.

paulg2uk said:
Barry said:
dsc00995.jpg

I still can't decide and don't wanna make a mistake on which I buy.

You want the open back!

Well I finally took the plunge and ordered a Mark V head and 1x12 cab today. I have to wait for the head to come into stock which will be early aug but it will be worth the wait.

I went for the closed back and ported cab after loads of recommendations from you guys on the forum and the guys at Boogie. Figure it was the way to go.

Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it.

Cheers

Paul

MusicManJP6 said:
Paul, you will probably really like that cab!

I'm sure I will its just I had a bad experience with a closed back but that was a totally different amp. I mean this is a Mark V LOL. It just sucks I have to wait till early august for the mark v. I just wanna plug in and play man! lol.

You should really consider getting an open back 112 with that ported. They sound great together. There is a company called white box cabs that makes a widebody cab that should be about the same width.

Weight is a consideration for me, and I see that the Compact Widebody is the lightest Mesa 1 X 12, at 33 lbs. It is, however, 22 1/2 " wide, while the Mark V head is very slightly 22 3/4" wider. Does anyone use the Compact Widebody cab with their Mark V head? If so, how does it look, and how does the sound strike you? I have a open back 1 X12 with a EVM, and a Thiele 1 X 12 that I use with my Mark IV, and prefer the open back.

GmanJeff said:
Weight is a consideration for me, and I see that the Compact Widebody is the lightest Mesa 1 X 12, at 33 lbs. It is, however, 22 1/2 " wide, while the Mark V head is very slightly 22 3/4" wider. Does anyone use the Compact Widebody cab with their Mark V head? If so, how does it look, and how does the sound strike you? I have a open back 1 X12 with a EVM, and a Thiele 1 X 12 that I use with my Mark IV, and prefer the open back.

The Widebody cabs are the same width as the medium heads.... the difference in measurements is because one dude included the corner caps in the total width and the other dude didn't.

Latest posts

Back